Bullnose Forums

Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Danny G

Have you used the 1424B on 12awg? Says it goes down to 14 but not seeing one that includes 12 without going to professional options.

I don't have that one but its spec'd for no larger than 14 awg.

The A03B die set for the 30J is supposed to do 16-10 awg.

Did you get your contact situation figured out was yours too big? I missed this conversation when it happened.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have that one but its spec'd for no larger than 14 awg.

The A03B die set for the 30J is supposed to do 16-10 awg.

Did you get your contact situation figured out was yours too big? I missed this conversation when it happened.

I ordered them the other day but hasn't arrived yet. Worst case for the few 12awg ones I need I can use the A03B die for the wire and then use this one for the metri-pack seal (being careful to not squeeze fully).

The NAPA ones turned out to be the same so no luck there. I did a few like Gary mentioned by doubling up the wire and placing a short piece of heat shrink over the sheathing to make it thicker but decided to go with the metri-pack/weather-pack route instead for the rest of my wiring.

My order from Waytek came in today so looking forward to wiring in the add-on relay/fuse box and midi fuse blocks.

I ordered them the other day but hasn't arrived yet. Worst case for the few 12awg ones I need I can use the A03B die for the wire and then use this one for the metri-pack seal (being careful to not squeeze fully).

The NAPA ones turned out to be the same so no luck there. I did a few like Gary mentioned by doubling up the wire and placing a short piece of heat shrink over the sheathing to make it thicker but decided to go with the metri-pack/weather-pack route instead for the rest of my wiring.

My order from Waytek came in today so looking forward to wiring in the add-on relay/fuse box and midi fuse blocks.

Did you tell use which relay/fuse box you are going to use? I'm still on the fence about how I'm going to do Big Blue's headlight relays. If I had the right box I'd probably put it on the passenger's side and do the headlight, starter, and blower motor relays in it.

Did you tell use which relay/fuse box you are going to use? I'm still on the fence about how I'm going to do Big Blue's headlight relays. If I had the right box I'd probably put it on the passenger's side and do the headlight, starter, and blower motor relays in it.

I haven't but I really need to update the Camano build thread.

I'll take some quick photos since everything is strewn out on the living room floor right now, grab some links and post over there shortly.

I haven't but I really need to update the Camano build thread.

I'll take some quick photos since everything is strewn out on the living room floor right now, grab some links and post over there shortly.

Crimped a few Metri-Pack 280 ends yesterday. The crimpers above worked great and the Metri-Pack in general is very nice. I haven't tried any 10awg yet but the combo approach of using A03B for the wire and the 1424B should work well.

If doing a lot of them I would consider some Metri-Pack crimpers that ratchet so you can more easily hold the terminal in them but for the price, hard to complain.

• 1 month later...

While on the topic of wire crimping tools, and I may have missed this if it was discussed earlier in this thread, but are there any special tools or recommended tools/procedures for making custom length plug wires? If that's an entirely different discussion, Gary and admin please feel free to move to it's own thread, but I'm curious...

I saw a picture a while back of a SBF with the most gorgeous plug wiring job done on it, and the guy said that they were pre-made Taylor wires that he cut to fit. I've never done this, so I don't know what is involved.

Rembrant - In an earlier post you asked about plug wire crimpers. I have one sold by MSD that works beautifully. Look up their part number 3503.

• 1 month later...

Rembrant - In an earlier post you asked about plug wire crimpers. I have one sold by MSD that works beautifully. Look up their part number 3503.

For large crimps 8awg - 000awg look into this tool here. I have had one for 12-15 years and love it. Insert wire with ring terminal. And then wack tool with hammer. Actually does nice crimps once you figure it out.

1258779.jpg.ea06a677780af5463c105af760030a95.jpg