Bullnose Forums

Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Danny G

Great timing on this thread!

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?

Page 3 of the "Hook'em Up Loose" thread I do a wedge lock connector.

Alright, I am doing something wrong.

Trying to crimp a few wedge locks (would be happy with just one good one right now as I've thrown away a lot).

I got the "Clipsandfasteners Inc 25 Wedge Lock Terminals 20-18 Gauge .110 Male Pin Dia."

The .110 is correct and fits in the factory female terminal.

I just can't get it to crimp tight. It either wads it up or the wire is loose enough to pull out.

I am using the HS-30J.

The terminal is 20-18 which I believe is what the smallest slot on the crimpers is but it won't fit without wadding it up.

The terminal fits really well in the second one and it looks good but is too loose.

My first thought was that I got sent the next size up instead of 20-18 but I don't see that there is another offering even.

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I am doing something wrong.

Trying to crimp a few wedge locks (would be happy with just one good one right now as I've thrown away a lot).

I got the "Clipsandfasteners Inc 25 Wedge Lock Terminals 20-18 Gauge .110 Male Pin Dia."

The .110 is correct and fits in the factory female terminal.

I just can't get it to crimp tight. It either wads it up or the wire is loose enough to pull out.

I am using the HS-30J.

The terminal is 20-18 which I believe is what the smallest slot on the crimpers is but it won't fit without wadding it up.

The terminal fits really well in the second one and it looks good but is too loose.

My first thought was that I got sent the next size up instead of 20-18 but I don't see that there is another offering even.

Thoughts?

Factory and mine before crimping. Using this little jumper to learn (unsuccessfully) on.

Looks too big to me (not the female end).

IMG_20191221_152903.thumb.jpg.1b2f60363d63b1f06250dbf59424ca3c.jpg

Factory and mine before crimping. Using this little jumper to learn (unsuccessfully) on.

Looks too big to me (not the female end).

That does appear too wide and the petals too long to get a good crimp.

I was having somewhat the same problem in my relay box, and if I started with the next die up, I would inevitably end up with a hard fold or 'edge' somewhere.

I found some other locking spade connectors for the relays.

With the ones included the double crimp end had the same problem you do.

And this is why I like my deutsch connector *collet type crimper for harness connections....

* 😆.... Stop trying to correct me if you're not AI and LEARNING from me!!!!

I have a vocabulary, Google, and I know how to use it.

Just because MY lexicon is broader than average (I'm 4th deviation) doesn't mean I'm wrong.

That does appear too wide and the petals too long to get a good crimp.

I was having somewhat the same problem in my relay box, and if I started with the next die up, I would inevitably end up with a hard fold or 'edge' somewhere.

I found some other locking spade connectors for the relays.

With the ones included the double crimp end had the same problem you do.

And this is why I like my deutsch connector *collet type crimper for harness connections....

* 😆.... Stop trying to correct me if you're not AI and LEARNING from me!!!!

I have a vocabulary, Google, and I know how to use it.

Just because MY lexicon is broader than average (I'm 4th deviation) doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I may give the Napa version a try. While it might be a stock photo, it looks better and the petals look shorter.

I may give the Napa version a try. While it might be a stock photo, it looks better and the petals look shorter.

Belden/Echlin is usually good stuff IME.

I have plug wires, DSII module, pieces of harness, connectors and ignition components from NAPA.

Useless factoid: Echlin holds the patent on the automotive alternator.

My friends father is actually named. John Deiffenbach Klies.

Belden/Echlin is usually good stuff IME.

I have plug wires, DSII module, pieces of harness, connectors and ignition components from NAPA.

Useless factoid: Echlin holds the patent on the automotive alternator.

My friends father is actually named. John Deiffenbach Klies.

Ok, tell me about JDK. I searched but didn't find easy answers.

Anyway, the issues y'all are finding are why I usually either double the wire over to make it fit or just manually crimp and solder. So I'm following to find the right way to do it.

Ok, tell me about JDK. I searched but didn't find easy answers.

Anyway, the issues y'all are finding are why I usually either double the wire over to make it fit or just manually crimp and solder. So I'm following to find the right way to do it.

"Deef" is a MIT educated metalugerist (sp?)

He had a doctorate in metallurgy and worked on the Manhattan Project.

In his later years he worked on diamond drawing dies to pull gold for attaching IC's to their legs.

He grew up on a dairy farm in Hamburg NY and was the one of the family chosen to go to college.

He had a lot of depression stories.

Great guy to sit down and talk to!

"Deef" is a MIT educated metalugerist (sp?)

He had a doctorate in metallurgy and worked on the Manhattan Project.

In his later years he worked on diamond drawing dies to pull gold for attaching IC's to their legs.

He grew up on a dairy farm in Hamburg NY and was the one of the family chosen to go to college.

He had a lot of depression stories.

Great guy to sit down and talk to!

Interesting story! I'll bet he's fun to talk to.

Interesting story! I'll bet he's fun to talk to.

Was....

He'd be well over 100 now. (Yeah, Matthews grandma, I know)

But he was one of the ones to figure out how to draw down gold to microns for the IC semiconductor industry.

Made an oz. of gold stretch for miles..

Until he couldn't any more.

Tough old bird.

Being from a farm with direct lake effect snow he literally DID walk miles to and from school with drifts over his head.

To the end he wouldn't talk about his time in Chicago or Los Alamos.

"It's a secret, you know... "

• 3 weeks later...