Bullnose Forums

Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Danny G

Great timing on this thread!

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?

Only if you are doing seal boots and not standard wedgelocks. The IWS-30J with the A03B die set is what you can use for standard wedge locks in the link you provided. If you look at my project thread I use them there.

Or they have a dedicated tool as well, 1424A

The 1424 B is for wedge locks that also have all weather sealing boots.

Thanks!

Will be ordering the IWS-30J shortly.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Will be ordering the IWS-30J shortly.

Ordered these and the tool set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075NBCDPQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LD9DCWH?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image&th=1&psc=1

A PO saved some time using a vampire connector and I am having to spend time repairing the factory wire after it came apart (when removing the vampire) so I guess the universe is happy and balanced 😀

Ordered these and the tool set.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075NBCDPQ?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07LD9DCWH?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image&th=1&psc=1

A PO saved some time using a vampire connector and I am having to spend time repairing the factory wire after it came apart (when removing the vampire) so I guess the universe is happy and balanced 😀

I've used the 3:1 stuff a lot and really like it. And I have pretty much the same kit, although mine didn't have the red in it. Good stuff. :nabble_smiley_good:

Scatch,

I do like my Iwiss tool enough to have recommended it to Gary (and that is high praise on the cost-effectiveness scale)

Thanks for bringing these other Iwiss products to my attention, and thanks for starting this thread! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I wish I had that $30 #8 - 1/0 crimper instead of my hydraulic one. Not because it is less expensive, but because it has AWG die instead of metric. I've figured out how to use the hydraulic/metric one, but the other is more straighforward.

I wish I had that $30 #8 - 1/0 crimper instead of my hydraulic one. Not because it is less expensive, but because it has AWG die instead of metric. I've figured out how to use the hydraulic/metric one, but the other is more straighforward.

You guys are killing me! I can't seem to keep my credit card in my pocket these days.

But seriously, these are good-looking tools and the price really isn't that bad.

What I've been wondering about recently is cordless soldering guns. Ive got a little butane pen-type that is about only good for heating shrink wrap. It can cold solder when necessary but there's very little point in that ever. My "shop" doesn't currently have a power source so if I were to do any soldering (which I need to do very soon), I have to run a long Edison cable. Is there any cordless soldering tool worth using or am I barking up a tree that doesn't exist?

You guys are killing me! I can't seem to keep my credit card in my pocket these days.

But seriously, these are good-looking tools and the price really isn't that bad.

What I've been wondering about recently is cordless soldering guns. Ive got a little butane pen-type that is about only good for heating shrink wrap. It can cold solder when necessary but there's very little point in that ever. My "shop" doesn't currently have a power source so if I were to do any soldering (which I need to do very soon), I have to run a long Edison cable. Is there any cordless soldering tool worth using or am I barking up a tree that doesn't exist?

While on the topic of wire crimping tools, and I may have missed this if it was discussed earlier in this thread, but are there any special tools or recommended tools/procedures for making custom length plug wires? If that's an entirely different discussion, Gary and admin please feel free to move to it's own thread, but I'm curious...

I saw a picture a while back of a SBF with the most gorgeous plug wiring job done on it, and the guy said that they were pre-made Taylor wires that he cut to fit. I've never done this, so I don't know what is involved.

While on the topic of wire crimping tools, and I may have missed this if it was discussed earlier in this thread, but are there any special tools or recommended tools/procedures for making custom length plug wires? If that's an entirely different discussion, Gary and admin please feel free to move to it's own thread, but I'm curious...

I saw a picture a while back of a SBF with the most gorgeous plug wiring job done on it, and the guy said that they were pre-made Taylor wires that he cut to fit. I've never done this, so I don't know what is involved.

I know you can buy wire kits that are extra long without the plug ends crimped on. Ive never tried, but I think I inherited a crimper from my grandfather. Id have to search for it.

I know you can buy wire kits that are extra long without the plug ends crimped on. Ive never tried, but I think I inherited a crimper from my grandfather. Id have to search for it.

I used to have one that did a beautiful job, it may have come from NAPA. It may still be in the container with the rest of my tools in Newport News. It did both straight and right angle ends.

Our friend Steve83 had a pretty detailed response to a question about modifying plug leads back in June(?) I believe.

GSM Blue had purchased 385 wires instead of Windsor ones.

The thread devolved, and I haven't seen much of him since.