Bullnose Forums

Wire Crimping/swaging tools.

Danny G

I have a few of tools made by IWISS for crimps and they are good tools. I used the lugger to do the large gauge crimps to my alternator getting my truck back on the road. I used the one with changeable dies to repin a wedgelock connector or two in the truck.

Proper crimps require a tool designed for the job (not pliers lol) and those crimps basically become cold welds with an excellent connection and can be gas tight in themselves with no other media.

Set with changeable dies does a range of insulated(not heat shrink) and non insulated connections ($28).

And these for heat shrink butt splices and terminals ($20).

These for 8awg to 1/0, I used these to crimp my alternator cabling ( $30).

These for wedge lock/molex style contacts with boots for fluidtight connectors ($19)

Heck they even make a set that is like the DMC contact crimpers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really good info. If I remember correctly, Jim recommended the Iwiss tools previously.

But, this brings up lots of questions. On the 8 to 1/0 tool, does it work well with standard AWG terminals? I ask because my hydraulic crimper's die are metric, not AWG, and that means it won't properly crimp normal AWG terminals. (It will properly crimp the Magnalugs though as they are thicker than standard AWG's.) If it works well with standard AWG terminals, I'd go for this one over my hydraulic crimper and stick to nothing bigger than 1/0.

On the ones you listed for "heat shrink butt splices and terminals", does that mean it works with all heat shrink covered terminals, or just butt splices? And is it fussy about whose terminals its fed?

Anyway, thanks!

Great timing on this thread!

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?

Also curious on the battery cable crimping tool.

Along those lines, do you recall what adhesive shrink tubing you used for the battery cable? There are a lot of options out there (would like red/black vs all red) so always prefer to order a set that is known to work well.

That's really good info. If I remember correctly, Jim recommended the Iwiss tools previously.

But, this brings up lots of questions. On the 8 to 1/0 tool, does it work well with standard AWG terminals? I ask because my hydraulic crimper's die are metric, not AWG, and that means it won't properly crimp normal AWG terminals. (It will properly crimp the Magnalugs though as they are thicker than standard AWG's.) If it works well with standard AWG terminals, I'd go for this one over my hydraulic crimper and stick to nothing bigger than 1/0.

On the ones you listed for "heat shrink butt splices and terminals", does that mean it works with all heat shrink covered terminals, or just butt splices? And is it fussy about whose terminals its fed?

Anyway, thanks!

The 8 to 1/0 is made for standard AWG terminals. They actually have a video showing them do it. They also have a pneumatic crimper too for around $240.

For the ones I listed for heat shrink, yes these are for terminals/splices covered already with heat shrink, it does not have that insulation grip crimp.

The crimper that has changeable dies has one for insulated/insulated connections. If you use this on a connection with heat shrink it will damage the heat shrink as it is designed to form the standard plastic insulation to grip the jacket of the wire. I have accidentally grabbed this one when doing heat shrink covered terminals and when I heated them with my heat gun they split because where that insulation crimp happens it will cut the shrink.

Anyway, thanks!

The 8 to 1/0 is made for standard AWG terminals. They actually have a video showing them do it. They also have a pneumatic crimper too for around $240.

For the ones I listed for heat shrink, yes these are for terminals/splices covered already with heat shrink, it does not have that insulation grip crimp.

The crimper that has changeable dies has one for insulated/insulated connections. If you use this on a connection with heat shrink it will damage the heat shrink as it is designed to form the standard plastic insulation to grip the jacket of the wire. I have accidentally grabbed this one when doing heat shrink covered terminals and when I heated them with my heat gun they split because where that insulation crimp happens it will cut the shrink.

couldnt find pictures of my crimp but here is some from the site.

terminal.png.d7bf0338474a042df0756ab5d565ed58.png

awgcrimp.png.81bca02f93d451295c07808b5ea2e07e.png

So you used IWS-1424B (the $19.99 ones) on the wedgelocks referenced here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/wiring-connectors.html ?

Only if you are doing seal boots and not standard wedgelocks. The IWS-30J with the A03B die set is what you can use for standard wedge locks in the link you provided. If you look at my project thread I use them there.

Or they have a dedicated tool as well, 1424A

The 1424 B is for wedge locks that also have all weather sealing boots.

sealboot.png.8294a4af45ee704c942af9ed97329488.png

Only if you are doing seal boots and not standard wedgelocks. The IWS-30J with the A03B die set is what you can use for standard wedge locks in the link you provided. If you look at my project thread I use them there.

Or they have a dedicated tool as well, 1424A

The 1424 B is for wedge locks that also have all weather sealing boots.

wedgelocks are a two part crimp.

The first crimp curls the conductor crimp in on the conductor (closest to the barrel/pin side). The second crimp curls in the insulation grip creating a built in strain relief.

crimp.png.b3675620a1f256cc35abb6ee6d7cb4db.png

Also curious on the battery cable crimping tool.

Along those lines, do you recall what adhesive shrink tubing you used for the battery cable? There are a lot of options out there (would like red/black vs all red) so always prefer to order a set that is known to work well.

Most of that tube is all the same stuff just different sellers.

You just want to make sure you have tube that is double wall, and that fits well. Double wall has an inner adhesive that melts and squeezes out when the tube shrinks. This seals the heat shrink to the elements.