Bullnose Forums

Can we talk about Small Block ignition timing?

Rembrant

Gary,

Vacuum advance is currently disconnected.

Right, so I'll play around with the idle speed and adjustments to see if I can get it to stop bouncing.

I wonder if the centrifugal advance is now moving too easily since I oiled it? Any time I played with it previously it wasn't advancing until a much higher RPM. Maybe it was sticking before and now that it's lubed up it's swinging out to full advance at too low an RPM?

You didn't hurt anything oiling it. It is supposed to move easily and smoothly.

But you should be able to get the idle speed down to 600 - 650 RPM easily - after adjusting the idle air/fuel mix. But there may be some back and forth - adjust the mix, then the idle speed, then check the mix. The reason it may vary is that you might have the throttle opened into the transfer ports and that will change the mix.

But you should be able to get the idle speed down to 600 - 650 RPM easily - after adjusting the idle air/fuel mix. But there may be some back and forth - adjust the mix, then the idle speed, then check the mix. The reason it may vary is that you might have the throttle opened into the transfer ports and that will change the mix.

Ok, I'll get to work on this...likely through the week. I just checked and my idle mix screws are 3/4 turn out.

According to my handy dandy Holley book they should end up somewhere between 1/2 and 1 1/2 turns out.

Oh, and my new AFR gauge should be here in a couple days as well, so I should be able to get the old thing dialed in pretty good.

So what do you normally do with the air cleaner being in the way? Make an adjustment, then stick the air cleaner back on, and repeat? Don't know if I can reach the idle mix screws with the air cleaner in place and I surely can't reach the idle stop screw...

Ok, I'll get to work on this...likely through the week. I just checked and my idle mix screws are 3/4 turn out.

According to my handy dandy Holley book they should end up somewhere between 1/2 and 1 1/2 turns out.

Oh, and my new AFR gauge should be here in a couple days as well, so I should be able to get the old thing dialed in pretty good.

So what do you normally do with the air cleaner being in the way? Make an adjustment, then stick the air cleaner back on, and repeat? Don't know if I can reach the idle mix screws with the air cleaner in place and I surely can't reach the idle stop screw...

If you look at the maintenance information you are supposed to oil the felt when doing a tune up.

So NEW is not necessarily GOOD.

Nor is new always correct!

I was cleaning up my work bench, and as I often do I was putting my old spark plugs in the boxes the new ones came in (I usually save them for a while, just in case) and I noticed one of the boxes was an Autolite 103 (I purchased 104's). The 103 is visually identical to the 104, but it's one heat range cooler (3, instead of 4).

Anyway, I pulled it back out of the engine and will return it tomorrow on the way home from work. May not have made much difference, but I certainly wasn't leaving it like that.

I need to call Scott tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask him why he hasn't joined. He said he would. But his pages are just that, HTML/CSS pages, so don't lend themselves to embedding here. In other words, I think the best thing we can do for Scott is to link to them.

As for the Crane document, that is a PDF so is easily downloaded and then embedded in either a post or a page.

One approach for both would be to create an Ignition folder in the Resources folder/section of the forum. Another approach would be to add another tab to the Documentation/Electrical/Ignition page and capture both the Crane doc as well as links to Scott's pages.

(Or, we could do both - create an Ignition entry in the Resources and have a link to a page in Documentation.)

Thoughts?

Just talked to Scott re the distributor pages. They are on his new site, but the reason they don't show in the menu is that they are in the for-pay/member's section. However, he sometimes posts links to them on other forums to save himself from having to type in all that stuff to answer a question, so he's happy for us to have the links as well.

Just talked to Scott re the distributor pages. They are on his new site, but the reason they don't show in the menu is that they are in the for-pay/member's section. However, he sometimes posts links to them on other forums to save himself from having to type in all that stuff to answer a question, so he's happy for us to have the links as well.

I'm a paid member, and I didn't see them.

But if he does have them behind the paywall, then it wouldn't be fair to have them up here.

For whatever reason, they still exist at RHP, and anyone can see them.

My links aren't to the waybac machine

I'm a paid member, and I didn't see them.

But if he does have them behind the paywall, then it wouldn't be fair to have them up here.

For whatever reason, they still exist at RHP, and anyone can see them.

My links aren't to the waybac machine

Your links are probably from some place he's posted them on another forum. He was happy for us to have the links. No problemo.

Your links are probably from some place he's posted them on another forum. He was happy for us to have the links. No problemo.

Those distributor pages (both 1 & 2) have always been available via Google search haven't they?. I've been on them several times over the past few years.

I believe Ron sent his distributor to them for his 351w and has been happy with it.

I may send them might once the snow/salt hits and my truck is off the road.

Those distributor pages (both 1 & 2) have always been available via Google search haven't they?. I've been on them several times over the past few years.

I believe Ron sent his distributor to them for his 351w and has been happy with it.

I may send them might once the snow/salt hits and my truck is off the road.

I don't know how long they've been available, but they are available via this Google search. Scotty may not know that Google will eventually find things even if you don't show them in the menu, and you have to take special precautions to ensure they aren't found.

Anyway, I think sending a dizzy to him would be well worth the cost.