Bullnose Forums

Parts shop can't find the right U-joints for 1986 F-250HD 2wd

Since I was a punk kid street racer with a jacked-up 289 Mustang I hi-po'd (never lost a race), I've heard Ford parts guys gripe about how hard Furd makes their jobs; Partial production, substitutions, obsolete, check the VIN...maybe, here - try these two.

So I'm ready to believe anything. Both front and rear U-joints are the same, but the larger cap is on the driveshaft side. This might be a case of somebody putting in a better driveshaft since 1986.

NAPA UJ458 found by measurement. It wasn't listed for this truck. I suspect somebody upgraded the driveshaft.

Made in China...UjointsFRandRear.jpg.a796dc56e68ae8f0e79b2acd629433da.jpg

Looks like you are going to get it done. But I've not seen a production use of a u-joint with different sized caps. In fact, the snippet from the master parts catalog, below, seems to say Ford didn't use u-joints with differing cap sizes. Otherwise they'd have to have "D1" and "D2". I'm wondering if someone has installed a larger axle in that truck.

As for the splined joint, I had to put a chain through the u-joint eyes and put the other end around my lift's leg, place the differential on a cart, and roll the cart hard several times to get the stub shaft out of the diff on Dad's truck.

But you may find something in the section from the factory shop manual on the Front Drive Axle in Documentation/Driveline and then the Front Axles/Instructions/Dana 44 tabs.

Another TSB:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/470494/thumbnail/ujointid.jpg