Bullnose Forums

I Think I Am Going to Sell My Truck

LARIAT 85

Ask Shaun about his experience selling his truck.

I went through a phase where I wanted to try new things. I wanted to spend every weekend on the coast for an entire summer. I wanted to spend more time exploring nature. I wanted to spend more time with friends. So I sold my F150 that I had for ten years, and set out to do everything I wanted to do. I miss that truck. I realized after completing my list of new things to try, trucks were my thing. I like working on them. I missed working on them. And that's why I bought another. The fact that it's another Bullnose is purely nostalgia from my old truck.

But if I were to do it all over again, would I have kept the F150? Nope. Maybe I would have kept a few of the parts, but I still would not have the truck. I needed that time away from trucks to grow. Much like you need the time to grow your family. I think you are making the right decision for your family. But make sure it's also the right decision for you.

This is a tough call (but of course it's your call). I've sold two project vehicles that I had expected to keep forever. My dad and I got a 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan when I was 10 that he and I (mostly I) restored. Then when I was 22 I bought a 1975 Jeep CJ5 (the Model A wasn't done yet). After I finished the Model A I started a frame-up rebuild of the Jeep. When it was done I found I couldn't justify keeping two toys and the Jeep was more fun, so I sold the A.

Then my kids outgrew the back seat of the CJ5 so I bought my Bronco. I had intended to keep the Jeep, but I found that I needed to work on the Jeep too often and I wasn't making enough progress on the Bronco. So I sold the Jeep.

Do I regret selling those vehicles? Yes and no. It would be nice to have them, but it was nicer to buy a slide-in camper (with the money from selling the A) and get the Bronco finished (selling the Jeep). So selling them was the right thing to do.

In your case you aren't necessarily selling one toy vehicle to make room for another toy vehicle, but the situation is still pretty similar, a toy from an earlier phase is getting in the way of a newer phase of life.

But you also have an added factor in that it was your dad's truck. How much does that matter? Only you can answer that, but you might not be able to answer it completely for quite a while yet. I have a very few things form my grandfather: a couple of cheap, useless guns and the best pair of needle-nose pliers I've ever seen. I will never get rid of any of them, even though the guns just take up space in a locked cabinet in my basement (they aren't even wall-hangers). But that's one more generation removed, none of it takes up much room, and I couldn't get $100 if I sold both guns (the pliers stay in my tool box where I use them all the time!). I really don't have much stuff from my dad. He's still around and still has his own stuff. So I (obviously) don't know how much the nostalgia should factor in.

My advice, bottom line, is take your time making your decision, but then do what you need to do. If you sell it you'll probably regret it at times. But if selling it is the right thing for you to do you won't regret it too much.

This is a tough call (but of course it's your call). I've sold two project vehicles that I had expected to keep forever. My dad and I got a 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan when I was 10 that he and I (mostly I) restored. Then when I was 22 I bought a 1975 Jeep CJ5 (the Model A wasn't done yet). After I finished the Model A I started a frame-up rebuild of the Jeep. When it was done I found I couldn't justify keeping two toys and the Jeep was more fun, so I sold the A.

Then my kids outgrew the back seat of the CJ5 so I bought my Bronco. I had intended to keep the Jeep, but I found that I needed to work on the Jeep too often and I wasn't making enough progress on the Bronco. So I sold the Jeep.

Do I regret selling those vehicles? Yes and no. It would be nice to have them, but it was nicer to buy a slide-in camper (with the money from selling the A) and get the Bronco finished (selling the Jeep). So selling them was the right thing to do.

In your case you aren't necessarily selling one toy vehicle to make room for another toy vehicle, but the situation is still pretty similar, a toy from an earlier phase is getting in the way of a newer phase of life.

But you also have an added factor in that it was your dad's truck. How much does that matter? Only you can answer that, but you might not be able to answer it completely for quite a while yet. I have a very few things form my grandfather: a couple of cheap, useless guns and the best pair of needle-nose pliers I've ever seen. I will never get rid of any of them, even though the guns just take up space in a locked cabinet in my basement (they aren't even wall-hangers). But that's one more generation removed, none of it takes up much room, and I couldn't get $100 if I sold both guns (the pliers stay in my tool box where I use them all the time!). I really don't have much stuff from my dad. He's still around and still has his own stuff. So I (obviously) don't know how much the nostalgia should factor in.

My advice, bottom line, is take your time making your decision, but then do what you need to do. If you sell it you'll probably regret it at times. But if selling it is the right thing for you to do you won't regret it too much.

I remember a conversation I had with an older gentleman with a Bump side F-150 in beautiful condition.

I ask if he would sell, his reply,... " well if I sell, six months from now I'll have spent the money and have no truck, Sorry No"

Rick. Best option if you REALLY want to sell....sell to someone on this forum. Good chance you can get it back one day. I haven't read through the entire thread yet, but I will. I might be interested in the truck. But I am not familiar with it. I'll dig around on the site and through your posts. PM me if you want to give me more details.

As I get older, I'm also thinking about what I want to hand down to my kids. How long till yours are 16? :)

My boys are 7 and 9. I would love to collect a pair of Flaresides for them. They'd be the coolest kids in school!!!

If you want to sell your black Flareside. Please PM me.

As I get older, I'm also thinking about what I want to hand down to my kids. How long till yours are 16? :)

My boys are 7 and 9. I would love to collect a pair of Flaresides for them. They'd be the coolest kids in school!!!

If you want to sell your black Flareside. Please PM me.

Rick,

Life goes on and things change.

It's really tough when you have/want to dispose of something that has sentimental value.

My personal opinion is that family comes first, and anything else second.

But in a way, this truck IS family.

It's a legacy and you have coddled and nurtured it into what it is.

I'm contemplating the same thing.

The one constant in my life for the last 32 years has been Lil' Red, but I went yesterday to look at a meticulously maintained '97 Powerstroke 350 XL 4x4.

It is NICE!

(and it is red too!)

If I had the $$$ this instant I would bring it home, and figure out how to break it to Lil' Red.

Rick,

It's really tough when you have/want to dispose of something that has sentimental value.

The one constant in my life for the last 32 years has been Lil' Red, but I went yesterday to look at a meticulously maintained '97 Powerstroke 350 XL 4x4.

It is NICE!

(and it is red too!)

If I had the $$$ this instant I would bring it home, and figure out how to break it to Lil' Red.

Im actively seeking to trade a 69 Chevy Impala for another bullnose. Just so yall know.....:nabble_smiley_wink:

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6994341996

Rick,

It is NICE!

(and it is red too!)

Thank you, gentlemen. I will consider all of your thoughts and opinions. Should I decide to sell, I like the idea of Lucille going to someone here on the board.

Does anyone here have FOUR vehicles?

Yes. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Depending on how you count, newest to oldest:

2015 F150 for towing

2014 Merc GLK (my wife's) for touring as it gets 35 MPG

2001 Subaru Forester (our daughter's, but she lives in Nicaragua, so...)

Big Blue, the '85 F250

Dad's truck, the '81 F150

1969 Dodge SuperBee (not running)

1950 Chevy pickup (not running)

Yes. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Depending on how you count, newest to oldest:

2015 F150 for towing

2014 Merc GLK (my wife's) for touring as it gets 35 MPG

2001 Subaru Forester (our daughter's, but she lives in Nicaragua, so...)

Big Blue, the '85 F250

Dad's truck, the '81 F150

1969 Dodge SuperBee (not running)

1950 Chevy pickup (not running)

At one point I had the truck, a Sprinter van, a car and 5-6 motorcycles.

Different horses for different courses.

And once I paid down the Sprinter I didn't have a note on any of them.

But lives change, and I'd understand if you felt you wanted to kick Lucille to the curb. 🤢