Bullnose Forums

Another Flareside: "Silver"

SCFlareside

Dave,

Fish eye killer is just emulsified silicone oil.

Kinda if you can't beat em, join em.

I wouldn't put that in any of my guns.

You're right on if silicone gets into the pores of wood.

I was just trying to make an analogy that would be understood by this audience.

To preserve the silver/gray of the weathered bed, you can't saturate it with finish.

Much like you can't put a wet coat on a contaminated surface.

I think this weekend I'll try to work on that oil spot a bit and try to get the tail of the bed to blend with the rest... and look as original as possible.

Then try to go with the approach you mentioned below (first coat is a spray, second "wet" coat I can apply directly from the can I believe?)

Thanks for your help!

-----

Jim wrote:

"It is somewhat counter to the idea of preserving the wood, but if you want to keep that look, you probably want to clean it best you can. Let it dry thoroughly. Then apply dusting coats of a water white catalyzed lacquer.

You don't want to soak it in, and unlike traditional lacquer you don't want the next coat to dissolve the last.

Once the surface is encapsulated you can apply wet coats of a matte lacquer to build a finish that protects it (somewhat) from the elements and doesn't appear 'plastic'"

I think this weekend I'll try to work on that oil spot a bit and try to get the tail of the bed to blend with the rest... and look as original as possible.

Then try to go with the approach you mentioned below (first coat is a spray, second "wet" coat I can apply directly from the can I believe?)

Thanks for your help!

-----

Jim wrote:

"It is somewhat counter to the idea of preserving the wood, but if you want to keep that look, you probably want to clean it best you can. Let it dry thoroughly. Then apply dusting coats of a water white catalyzed lacquer.

You don't want to soak it in, and unlike traditional lacquer you don't want the next coat to dissolve the last.

Once the surface is encapsulated you can apply wet coats of a matte lacquer to build a finish that protects it (somewhat) from the elements and doesn't appear 'plastic'"

Update: This weekend I cleaned the metal on the bed with CLR and steel wool, then gave it all a good cleaning with soap and water... scrubbed the wood with a soft bristle brush. Really brought out the silver and reddish colors

Then I buffed the good paint areas with Griots 3 in 1, and treated the metal bed strips and patina areas with Penetrol.

I worked with the wood, but the spot I made with Boiled Linseed oil was still "off". I took the advice above and went ahead and applied some BLO to the rest of the wood. I've started working on it with a scotch brite pad, and the brown tones are really coming out... liking the look

Here is a pic, there are some pretty cool contrasts developing

20200223_210040.jpg.8d8d409cb62bd44bc573682d72b8ecac.jpg

Update: This weekend I cleaned the metal on the bed with CLR and steel wool, then gave it all a good cleaning with soap and water... scrubbed the wood with a soft bristle brush. Really brought out the silver and reddish colors

Then I buffed the good paint areas with Griots 3 in 1, and treated the metal bed strips and patina areas with Penetrol.

I worked with the wood, but the spot I made with Boiled Linseed oil was still "off". I took the advice above and went ahead and applied some BLO to the rest of the wood. I've started working on it with a scotch brite pad, and the brown tones are really coming out... liking the look

20200223_203728.jpg.0eea1e975fa74f9ef119982421229f36.jpg

It is going to be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it. You can't get that kind of patina with new stuff. :nabble_smiley_good:

It really is an impressive transformation!

The way there's almost no weathering or wear up against the cab seems like Silver wore a tool box for quite some time.

Thanks! Actually to your point, for a while a prior owner had either a toolbox or an in bed tank, or both.

Once I get the color to look right (whatever that is), debating the best way to seal it. I hate to spray clear on it, maybe just... leave the oil and periodically treat it. Again appreciate thoughts

Thanks! Actually to your point, for a while a prior owner had either a toolbox or an in bed tank, or both.

Once I get the color to look right (whatever that is), debating the best way to seal it. I hate to spray clear on it, maybe just... leave the oil and periodically treat it. Again appreciate thoughts

I think I said "I love the way it tells a story"

If you are now liking the way the oil deepens the tone of the wood, it definitely is the easiest to apply and maintain. 👍

I'm really glad you like it, and are willing to put in the effort to keep on top of it periodically! 😎

• 2 weeks later...

I think I said "I love the way it tells a story"

If you are now liking the way the oil deepens the tone of the wood, it definitely is the easiest to apply and maintain. 👍

I'm really glad you like it, and are willing to put in the effort to keep on top of it periodically! 😎

20200308_163642.jpg.532d1def4aef1d4556d4cd95a51aeea0.jpg

Took Silver out to Lowes today, first nice day in a while. I applied Penetrol to most of the exterior to seal the patina... outside isn't going to stay this way though, still planning to have it painted at some point.

The inside of the bed is looking good though and heres where I'm planning to keep the patina.

20200308_163629.jpg.f722b572fe52659d598470071ab4c59b.jpg

At Lowes, ran into another blue bullnose, long bed F100 - introduced the owner to Garagemahal :)

20200308_165614.jpg.3c8fb3eb79ed5cee2beb7a991befea07.jpg