Bullnose Forums

Dana 50 TTB coil conversion from Bronco Graveyard

Ford F834

The other benefit from my standpoint would be driveshaft length. My current rear shaft is two piece, one is about 3' long, the other is probably about 6' long. There is a center support on the crossmember that carries the bearing. If I were to rebuild my E4OD and add the transfer case and adapter, well, Gary can measure the overall length. You end up with a very short connecting shaft or a rather long rear drive shaft (remember Darth is a crew cab so is 35" longer than a standard cab long bed). My though was like the USMC trucks I used to drive and work on. Other than the M38 and M151, they all had divorced transfer cases. If I were to install a divorced transfer case where the rear shaft area coincided with the existing center support bearing, or maybe a little forward I lose the off center weight on the rear of my transmission, lessening the chance of breaking the adapter, I gain a longer front drive shaft which will tolerate more suspension travel. The only concern would be possibly having to make a modified transmission crossmember to allow the front drive shaft plenty of room.

Best option, find a late enough rolled Super Duty 4WD dually and get all the running gear less the powertrain from it, that way I would also have the late 4 wheel disk brakes. These trucks use a Dana 60 live axle with radius arms and coil springs.

Gary, just an interesting observation, looking at the front suspension information on Matt's 2002 Excursion, the spring setup looks an awful lot like the kit you installed on BB.

Bill - That makes sense. I know the E4OD is loooooong, so I understand the issue with the driveshafts. And placing the t-case where the carrier bearing is a good idea.

As for Matt's Excursion, it might be sporting U-code springs, which is what I have. But some of them have the stiffer V-codes. I'm hoping the U's work as that will give better articulation.

Speaking of that, I'd not thought about the front driveshaft and how placement of the t-case figures into the angle thereof. Good thinking!

• 3 years later...

New guy here digging up the past.

This is a good topic of conversation and one of the many reasons I joined up....,

Anyhooo I was wondering if this "bronco" swap could be done with intergenerational parts instead of the costly kit?

I know most people have moved on to

sas d60 set ups, but... I've got a combination of parts I intend to try to use.

My parts truck is 82 f250hd

Dana 50 high pinion ttb

My goal is to add 4 wheel drive to my 89 f350 srw crew cab 460 5 speed.

I believe I can modify the coil spring stuff to accept ttb, so essentially budget minded sameular end goal as "bronco" kit with the difference being lift coils and modified beams and race car stuff.

Has anyone completed a swap with stock parts?

Should I attempt something like this?

If I do would you'all be interested in a write up?

Is it taboo reference non bull nose?

What are your thoughts?

New guy here digging up the past.

This is a good topic of conversation and one of the many reasons I joined up....,

Anyhooo I was wondering if this "bronco" swap could be done with intergenerational parts instead of the costly kit?

I know most people have moved on to

sas d60 set ups, but... I've got a combination of parts I intend to try to use.

My parts truck is 82 f250hd

Dana 50 high pinion ttb

My goal is to add 4 wheel drive to my 89 f350 srw crew cab 460 5 speed.

I believe I can modify the coil spring stuff to accept ttb, so essentially budget minded sameular end goal as "bronco" kit with the difference being lift coils and modified beams and race car stuff.

Has anyone completed a swap with stock parts?

Should I attempt something like this?

If I do would you'all be interested in a write up?

Is it taboo reference non bull nose?

What are your thoughts?

We've got no problems with discussing trucks outside '80-'86.

I've got a Bricknose, Bob's got a 9X something and Cory has a '52...

I don't think it's possible with stock parts.

But as you see it has been done

No TTB is set up for radius arms, and coils can't locate your axle front to back.

Which is why leaf sprung TTB's have so little travel and such stiff springs.

Also note if you're thinking of doing a divorced transfer case you will have problems with that front driveshaft clearing the cross member.

If you're going to jump into this please start a thread in the Projects section. :nabble_smiley_good:

We've got no problems with discussing trucks outside '80-'86.

I've got a Bricknose, Bob's got a 9X something and Cory has a '52...

I don't think it's possible with stock parts.

But as you see it has been done

No TTB is set up for radius arms, and coils can't locate your axle front to back.

Which is why leaf sprung TTB's have so little travel and such stiff springs.

Also note if you're thinking of doing a divorced transfer case you will have problems with that front driveshaft clearing the cross member.

If you're going to jump into this please start a thread in the Projects section. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim,

Thanks, I will definitely start a new page if I go that route. I guess I'll dig a little deeper and try to find some specific examples.

And I also have a 52... Kinda, small window.

It's a 48 with a 52 nose.

I call it

"the little train that just don't give a darn"

DSC_1264.thumb.JPG.6995a095eae55c48ce9e11b3e45ca052.JPG

Jim,

Thanks, I will definitely start a new page if I go that route. I guess I'll dig a little deeper and try to find some specific examples.

And I also have a 52... Kinda, small window.

It's a 48 with a 52 nose.

I call it

"the little train that just don't give a darn"

From the weld discoloration in the JBG kit above id imagine you need a way to jig the lower ball joints when you cut them loose from the beams.

The drop pivots and radius arm mounts appear to be cut with self aligning slots and tabs.

Doesn't really show enough of the welding to the back of the axle to scale where exactly they attach.

There was a thread not long ago linked to a desert racer who did some really beautiful fabrication to his TTB.

I think it was a thread on FSB.