Bullnose Forums

Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?

Gary Lewis

I was going with the reservoir-style valve since you said the high-pressure pump needed the reservoir to ensure it doesn't run dry. But, if I put a screw-on filter 'twixt the LP pump and the valve then voila, there's a reservoir - right?

So, if that works then all I need is a Bosch HP pump as I have a new 6-port valve and two new in-tank pumps. Sound like a reasonable plan?

Another approach would be to see if I can put 80 - 85 senders on the '90-style in-tank pumps which need no external switching valve nor frame-mounted pump. But, if that fails on a trip then I'm probably out of luck getting replacement parts, where the way I'm going just replacement 1985/6 parts will work.

Thoughts?

You would still need more capacity than just the filter, the reservoir has it's return to the tanks on the top so air drawn in by the LP pumps is purged to the tank supplying it. I believe it holds about a quart of fuel and the HP pump pickup tube goes to nearly the bottom of the bowl. I couldn't find the filters I was looking for, they would be easy to open and replace the elements in the field if needed.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would still need more capacity than just the filter, the reservoir has it's return to the tanks on the top so air drawn in by the LP pumps is purged to the tank supplying it. I believe it holds about a quart of fuel and the HP pump pickup tube goes to nearly the bottom of the bowl. I couldn't find the filters I was looking for, they would be easy to open and replace the elements in the field if needed.

In that case I'll probably just use the reservoir/valve combo and be done with it. Lots fewer connections and I can get factory lines if I want.

Speaking of lines, do you recommend the Dorman kit, or go with EFI hose and clamps?

In that case I'll probably just use the reservoir/valve combo and be done with it. Lots fewer connections and I can get factory lines if I want.

Speaking of lines, do you recommend the Dorman kit, or go with EFI hose and clamps?

Ok, I think I've come to a decision - I'll use the Delphi FE0127 in-tank pumps that Vernon sent, and from there I'll use the 1985.5/86 5.0L EFI plumbing. That means I'll use the reservoir/valve combo, the HP pump, and filter, just as Ford designed it.

Turns out the Delphi catalog is way wrong on the FE0127 in-tank pumps. I have two of them NIB and one puts out 5 psi and the other closer to 7 psi - way off from the 36 psi their catalog shows. So, I'll use those as the in-tank pumps to drive the reservoir/switching valve. And they'll be on the sending units from LMC, with the 43-4084 shown on the right, below, with the little bracket for the pump just above the float for the much bigger high-pressure in-tank pump for the later trucks, like Huck.

DSCN2749.thumb.jpg.2ec48f9d01e1c21299c421508e0b35fc.jpg

Note that in the picture above the sending unit for the later model pump is laying to the side. That's because I was investigating the possibility of swapping a Bullnose sending unit onto the Bricknose pump. And, as shown below, that appears to be possible. Both are retained by three tabs that are the same size and in the same location, as shown here:

DSCN2750.thumb.jpg.681ff19adbc1f55d2fef2d465909e889.jpg

And, if you do that you could probably also swap the float arms as they are held in the same way, as shown here. But, I think that is too fiddly and would prefer to use the complete pump/sending unit instead of having to piece things together.

DSCN2751.thumb.jpg.a6cf5ad0987fea5019d2fe88661b7531.jpg

If you want to do the nylon lines that Ford used, I would get one of the Dorman kits, that's what I did on Darth, something about needing 35 more inches of line on both supply and return.

BTW, in that picture, you have one bricknose front pump and one bullnose rear pump, interesting combination. This also begs the question, what are you going to do on dad's truck for fuel supply, if you want to keep the early gauges you will need to do the same thing there.

If you want to do the nylon lines that Ford used, I would get one of the Dorman kits, that's what I did on Darth, something about needing 35 more inches of line on both supply and return.

BTW, in that picture, you have one bricknose front pump and one bullnose rear pump, interesting combination. This also begs the question, what are you going to do on dad's truck for fuel supply, if you want to keep the early gauges you will need to do the same thing there.

Which Dorman kit did you get? There seems to be a million of them.

As for the pic, I pulled the front pump and sending unit out of Huck's tank today and compared it to the new one I have from Vernon. What a difference in size!

And, I told you that I'm using Big Blue as a learning exercise for Dad's truck. Whatever fuel system I come up with for Big Blue, assuming it works well, will go on Dad's truck. Progressing on multiple fronts. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Which Dorman kit did you get? There seems to be a million of them.

As for the pic, I pulled the front pump and sending unit out of Huck's tank today and compared it to the new one I have from Vernon. What a difference in size!

And, I told you that I'm using Big Blue as a learning exercise for Dad's truck. Whatever fuel system I come up with for Big Blue, assuming it works well, will go on Dad's truck. Progressing on multiple fronts. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I will look tomorrow and get the number off it. BTW, the front pump from the huck tells me it originally had two tanks, the valve was a recall to cure cross fueling. If you aren't going to use any of it, it would make a nice spare for Darth. Go here: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-27520-800-300.aspx?origin=keyword

I will look tomorrow and get the number off it. BTW, the front pump from the huck tells me it originally had two tanks, the valve was a recall to cure cross fueling. If you aren't going to use any of it, it would make a nice spare for Darth. Go here: https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-27520-800-300.aspx?origin=keyword

Yes, Huck had two tanks and I have both of them. But the rear pump doesn't work. Anyway, if I don't use them, and I'm pretty sure I won't, they are yours.

As for the kit, that's the big one - $200. But, it may well be worth it. There are something like 10 of those connections on the reservoir/valve, they pump, and the filter. I assume since there are both 3/8" and 5/16" that the supply is the 3/8 and the return is 5/16? Also, I don't think those connectors work on the sending units that I'm going with, so is there a hose/nylon line conversion?

Yes, Huck had two tanks and I have both of them. But the rear pump doesn't work. Anyway, if I don't use them, and I'm pretty sure I won't, they are yours.

As for the kit, that's the big one - $200. But, it may well be worth it. There are something like 10 of those connections on the reservoir/valve, they pump, and the filter. I assume since there are both 3/8" and 5/16" that the supply is the 3/8 and the return is 5/16? Also, I don't think those connectors work on the sending units that I'm going with, so is there a hose/nylon line conversion?

I'm pretty sure that on everything I've worked on the supply line is smaller and return line is bigger.

I'm pretty sure that on everything I've worked on the supply line is smaller and return line is bigger.

Interesting. I just assumed that the supply would be larger than the return as there would be more volume in the supply. But, if they want to keep the pressure high then I could see a smaller line there, and then a bigger one to make the return easy.

Thanks.

Gary, it has the Ford connectors if I remember correctly. I know the stuff can be a royal PITA to get together as the line doesn't want to stretch enough to get over the fittings. If nothing else you can salvage the old fittings by carefully cutting the line off them. You also, on Big Blue only need to modify the area that connects to the present 6 port valve. Did you get all the fuel lines with the huck?