Bullnose Forums

Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?

Gary Lewis

What about running the A/C on Max Cool, only?

Jim - Welcome back, Kotter! Yes, you are right about the hazards of trying to make it a new vehicle. But, I do want to see how I might incorporate a filter. I have all the bits and pieces that would let me look at most options without pulling Big Blue apart, so may do that when the time comes.

David - I'm not sure that all my adventures will be in the summer. So, I'm thinking about winter as well. Seems to me that the best approach would be to put an electrically-operated vacuum valve on the feed to the recirculate door, and then put a Recirc switch in the cab. Most modern vehicles have that button or switch, and it would be easily done.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim - Welcome back, Kotter! Yes, you are right about the hazards of trying to make it a new vehicle. But, I do want to see how I might incorporate a filter. I have all the bits and pieces that would let me look at most options without pulling Big Blue apart, so may do that when the time comes.

David - I'm not sure that all my adventures will be in the summer. So, I'm thinking about winter as well. Seems to me that the best approach would be to put an electrically-operated vacuum valve on the feed to the recirculate door, and then put a Recirc switch in the cab. Most modern vehicles have that button or switch, and it would be easily done.

It's funny.

Because my truck has no A/C, the lever on my controls says 'Outside Air' - 'Vent/Heat' and 'Off'

15156823557652061400177.thumb.jpg.4e692da9f5cfbc5fcb2715208ef27fd0.jpg

Of course off is not OFF, it's recirculate.

Gary, FWIW, the later vehicles have the filters in different locations, but all have them so any air drawn into the cabin are is filtered. The best way I can think of would be a filter holder of some kind in the right side air box probably right behind the firewall opening into the blower fresh air intake. It would mean having to remove the access panel to change it but (a) a gasket instead of sealer and (b) maybe some aircraft style Dzuz fasteners for quick open/close.P3060147.thumb.jpg.69a868110548219e7dccc09d7a632b29.jpg

Gary, FWIW, the later vehicles have the filters in different locations, but all have them so any air drawn into the cabin are is filtered. The best way I can think of would be a filter holder of some kind in the right side air box probably right behind the firewall opening into the blower fresh air intake. It would mean having to remove the access panel to change it but (a) a gasket instead of sealer and (b) maybe some aircraft style Dzuz fasteners for quick open/close.

Opening at far left is HVAC fresh air inlet, next one is recirc, then inlet to inside ducts.

Jim - Simple is good. Mine isn't that simple.

Bill - Here's a shot from a page in a manual someone gave me (:nabble_smiley_wink:) that shows a simple cutaway of the HVAC system. I realize it probably isn't this easy, but if a filter could be put there then it would filter all the air, whether fresh or recirculate.

I'll have to take a peek inside the ducting I have to see if that's even possible. Perhaps it could come in via the blower motor's hole?

Possible_Filter_Location.thumb.jpg.dde3fe2a99dea85f0610624df4556940.jpg

Jim - Simple is good. Mine isn't that simple.

Bill - Here's a shot from a page in a manual someone gave me (:nabble_smiley_wink:) that shows a simple cutaway of the HVAC system. I realize it probably isn't this easy, but if a filter could be put there then it would filter all the air, whether fresh or recirculate.

I'll have to take a peek inside the ducting I have to see if that's even possible. Perhaps it could come in via the blower motor's hole?

Like I said....

Space the blower motor out 1" and make a U channel to hold a furnace filter in front (behind?) the wheel.

You could slide it in from the top if the hood allows.

Like I said....

Space the blower motor out 1" and make a U channel to hold a furnace filter in front (behind?) the wheel.

You could slide it in from the top if the hood allows.

From the point closest to the hamster wheel by nv, to the wall of v.

Pretty much at right angles to what you are suggesting.

At least that way it would all be under the hood and you could get to it.

From the point closest to the hamster wheel by nv, to the wall of v.

Pretty much at right angles to what you are suggesting.

At least that way it would all be under the hood and you could get to it.

I like that! As shown below. But, why space the motor out? Why not pull the motor and put the filter through the opening - assuming it can be done?

Possible_Filter_Location.thumb.jpg.9336dcb94b863c432361d4e0e9456938.jpg

However, looking at the illustration below I'm not so sure:

HVAC_Illustration.thumb.jpg.ec4ecfd6af4ce01cf4e1a8ffb6617daa.jpg

I like that! As shown below. But, why space the motor out? Why not pull the motor and put the filter through the opening - assuming it can be done?

However, looking at the illustration below I'm not so sure:

Square filter, horseshoe hole.

But you can't really put a 1" spacer between the fan housing and the firewall seal, so...

Find a 10x10 (or whatever) filter and bend a 1/2x1x1/2 channel to slide it into.

And move the blower out enough for it to fit.

Then cut a slot in the top of the plenum.

Slide it in and seal the box

Square filter, horseshoe hole.

But you can't really put a 1" spacer between the fan housing and the firewall seal, so...

Find a 10x10 (or whatever) filter and bend a 1/2x1x1/2 channel to slide it into.

And move the blower out enough for it to fit.

Then cut a slot in the top of the plenum.

Slide it in and seal the box

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand. I think you are saying to cut a slot in the plenum that attaches to the firewall. Correct?

HVAC_Illustration.thumb.jpg.d59787134c9b2760389227e5b2b44415.jpg

And, I think you are assuming, which is probably a good assumption, that the squirrel cage will hit the filter w/o spacing it out. Right?

I thought I had pictures of the pieces, here, but unfortunately I only have pics of the interior pieces. I need to rectify that omission when I can as good pics would help a lot in this discussion.

But, my question was whether or not it looks like the fan will pass through the rectangular opening of that plenum. If not, then maybe no spacing is needed?

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand. I think you are saying to cut a slot in the plenum that attaches to the firewall. Correct?

And, I think you are assuming, which is probably a good assumption, that the squirrel cage will hit the filter w/o spacing it out. Right?

I thought I had pictures of the pieces, here, but unfortunately I only have pics of the interior pieces. I need to rectify that omission when I can as good pics would help a lot in this discussion.

But, my question was whether or not it looks like the fan will pass through the rectangular opening of that plenum. If not, then maybe no spacing is needed?

It looks as if the piece that bolts to the flange you're pointing out is recessed.

Idk.

But if it is, maybe the fan itself could move forward, leaving everything else where it is able to bolt up.

And the filter track could slip right in in front of (or behind) the flange