Bullnose Forums

Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?

Gary Lewis

Gary, it has the Ford connectors if I remember correctly. I know the stuff can be a royal PITA to get together as the line doesn't want to stretch enough to get over the fittings. If nothing else you can salvage the old fittings by carefully cutting the line off them. You also, on Big Blue only need to modify the area that connects to the present 6 port valve. Did you get all the fuel lines with the huck?

Yes, I got the fuel lines with Huck. But they are really just a big Y, with the supply of both tanks Y'd and going to the supply side of the filter, and from the filter to the regulator. And the return side Y's from the tanks and goes to to return from the fuel rail.

So I can cut off bits an pieces from that to use and then graft on. For instance, if the reservoir/valve was properly placed I could cut the supply and return lines just after they Y and put new connectors on to go from the reservoir/valve to the high-pressure pump. But, that may only save a fitting or two and a few feet of line.

What were you thinking?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I got the fuel lines with Huck. But they are really just a big Y, with the supply of both tanks Y'd and going to the supply side of the filter, and from the filter to the regulator. And the return side Y's from the tanks and goes to to return from the fuel rail.

So I can cut off bits an pieces from that to use and then graft on. For instance, if the reservoir/valve was properly placed I could cut the supply and return lines just after they Y and put new connectors on to go from the reservoir/valve to the high-pressure pump. But, that may only save a fitting or two and a few feet of line.

What were you thinking?

Just exactly that, if you can place the pieces on dad's truck you may be able to simply buy some repair splices at a parts store rather then needing to run the whole thing. On Big Blue, if you can extend the existing lines (they will unbend with hot water) to where the reservoir will mount then you will only need the lines to the HP pump and filter and to and from the engine.

I had a set of lines like those, that is what I added the 35" to from the Ys forward to where the filter connected and the return came down.

Interesting. I just assumed that the supply would be larger than the return as there would be more volume in the supply. But, if they want to keep the pressure high then I could see a smaller line there, and then a bigger one to make the return easy.

Thanks.

Supply is 3/8, return is 5/16.

Just exactly that, if you can place the pieces on dad's truck you may be able to simply buy some repair splices at a parts store rather then needing to run the whole thing. On Big Blue, if you can extend the existing lines (they will unbend with hot water) to where the reservoir will mount then you will only need the lines to the HP pump and filter and to and from the engine.

I had a set of lines like those, that is what I added the 35" to from the Ys forward to where the filter connected and the return came down.

Bill - Good thinking. A quick check on Big Blue shows that all of his plumbing is there, meaning for both tanks and the 6-port valve, and it is using the nylon lines. And the 6-port valve sits at the front edge of the front tank, about 27" back of the cross member.

It looks to me like the best bet would be to find a 1985.5/1986 5.0L or a 1987 - 89 truck with an EFI'd 4.9, 5.8, or 7.5L engine in a salvage and get the lines, reservoir/valve, pump, and filter - along with their brackets and shields. I'll probably replace the pump, filter, and reservoir/valve, but the brackets, shields, and lines would be very helpful.

And, if not:

• Tank to Reservoir/Valve: I'll use Big Blue's existing tank to 6-port valve lines from both the rear tank and the front tanks, although there may be a problem as one set of lines comes in from the bottom on the 6-port and I don't know where they come in on the reservoir/valve combo. So I may have to cut the 90 degree ends off and put straight ones on.

• Reservoir/valve to Pump: I'll probably have to make new lines for this application if I don't find them at a salvage.

• Pump to Filter/Pump To Engine: I should be able to use the existing lines to the engine from Huck as I'll want to go up the back side of the engine just like on Huck to connect to the regulator and rail. So I'll want to try to position the filter right where it is on Huck to facilitate that.

Does that make sense?

Fuel_System.jpg.be157fe11bc44e15127bd98bfdfdbeb1.jpg

Bill - Good thinking. A quick check on Big Blue shows that all of his plumbing is there, meaning for both tanks and the 6-port valve, and it is using the nylon lines. And the 6-port valve sits at the front edge of the front tank, about 27" back of the cross member.

It looks to me like the best bet would be to find a 1985.5/1986 5.0L or a 1987 - 89 truck with an EFI'd 4.9, 5.8, or 7.5L engine in a salvage and get the lines, reservoir/valve, pump, and filter - along with their brackets and shields. I'll probably replace the pump, filter, and reservoir/valve, but the brackets, shields, and lines would be very helpful.

And, if not:

• Tank to Reservoir/Valve: I'll use Big Blue's existing tank to 6-port valve lines from both the rear tank and the front tanks, although there may be a problem as one set of lines comes in from the bottom on the 6-port and I don't know where they come in on the reservoir/valve combo. So I may have to cut the 90 degree ends off and put straight ones on.

• Reservoir/valve to Pump: I'll probably have to make new lines for this application if I don't find them at a salvage.

• Pump to Filter/Pump To Engine: I should be able to use the existing lines to the engine from Huck as I'll want to go up the back side of the engine just like on Huck to connect to the regulator and rail. So I'll want to try to position the filter right where it is on Huck to facilitate that.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does, the only reason I couldn't do that, the repair lines only come up to 24" so I would have had to go 24" + 11" (not available so 12") on each line between the Y and engine feed. I now have the 1995 supply and return (thanks Jim) so I can get them on the correct way.

Yes it does, the only reason I couldn't do that, the repair lines only come up to 24" so I would have had to go 24" + 11" (not available so 12") on each line between the Y and engine feed. I now have the 1995 supply and return (thanks Jim) so I can get them on the correct way.

Guys - I'm sorting and putting things away since I'm literally knee-deep in parts, and have come up with a question re hydro-boost brakes. (This may be specifically to Jim.) In the pic below I've connected the hydraulic lines to the pump from the 1995 F450 and am pretty sure I understand what each does.

But, just to make sure, all I need is a replacement line for the one that is crimped over, which is from the hydro-boost system to the sector box. Right?

Power_Steering_Pump_Connections.thumb.jpg.31294a72d5a1db3def625cfdc6e175f8.jpg

And, for posterity, here's the whole system:

Hydro-Boost_System.thumb.jpg.ad27401d48b2798c77c1b34f25935cdf.jpg

And, here's the difference in the pumps - apparently just an extra return:

Power_Steering_Pumps.thumb.jpg.85952c7f94737dcd4bc317bb32c74cd6.jpg

And, here's a plug for getting LOTS of parts. The bracket from Huck is on the left. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Power_Steering_Brackets.thumb.jpg.86437350a5df49644482a2870bf08f5d.jpg

Guys - I'm sorting and putting things away since I'm literally knee-deep in parts, and have come up with a question re hydro-boost brakes. (This may be specifically to Jim.) In the pic below I've connected the hydraulic lines to the pump from the 1995 F450 and am pretty sure I understand what each does.

But, just to make sure, all I need is a replacement line for the one that is crimped over, which is from the hydro-boost system to the sector box. Right?

And, for posterity, here's the whole system:

And, here's the difference in the pumps - apparently just an extra return:

And, here's a plug for getting LOTS of parts. The bracket from Huck is on the left. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Gary, I had several GM Diesel cars with hydro-boost systems. Plumbing was pump to hydro-boost, hydro-boost to gear. One return from hydro-boost to reservoir and one from gear. I would suspect that the extra nipple is the hydro-boost return and the gear uses the normal return port. Looks like all you need to use it is the hydro-boost to gear hose.

Gary, I had several GM Diesel cars with hydro-boost systems. Plumbing was pump to hydro-boost, hydro-boost to gear. One return from hydro-boost to reservoir and one from gear. I would suspect that the extra nipple is the hydro-boost return and the gear uses the normal return port. Looks like all you need to use it is the hydro-boost to gear hose.

That's what I'm thinking as well, Bill. The only difference is that the hydro-boost return goes where the gear usually returns as that's where the hose fits. So the gear must return to the extra return port up on the neck.

That's what I'm thinking as well, Bill. The only difference is that the hydro-boost return goes where the gear usually returns as that's where the hose fits. So the gear must return to the extra return port up on the neck.

I will bet once you position it on Big Blue, you will probably find it fits better up top. Darth has the power steering return "cooler" on the cross member and the outlet goes right up into the bottom of the reservoir.