Bullnose Forums

Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?

Gary Lewis

Ok, found some information, using 1989 as a MY I found:

Precise 402P2485 pump only, rear steel tank low pressure says 6 psi

Precise 402P2487 pump only, for 17 or 19 gal center tank says 7 psi

Delphi FE0484 pump only, for steel rear tank says 2 psi

Delphi FE0070 pump only, for 17 or 19 gal center tank says 36 psi

Good luck with it, I would say if your in-tank pumps produce around 6-12 psi they should operate the switching valve without a problem.

FWIW, the carbureted in-tank pumps are essentially centrifugal pumps, the EFI LP pumps I believe are gearotor style pumps (miniature oil pumps).

Thanks, Bill. I think you may be right about the Delphi website being wrong. Vernon bought those pumps for Big Blue, and somewhere someone said they are the right ones. So, they can't have that much pressure.

I may call Delphi and see. If they can't help I may just block the return on Big Blue so the hot-fuel handling orifice doesn't bleed off pressure and turn the regulator up to see what I can get with the current in-tank pump.

Thanks again!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill - Thanks. That location should work fine since I should be able to route the lines you see to the front instead of the rear.

However, I think I may have an answer to my pump question: Here's the summarized info from Delphi's catalog:

• High-pressure pump for 1986 5.0L w/EFI: FD0029, which flows 28 gph, works at 44 psi, and has a relief at 90 psi

• 1986 5.0L EFI in-tank pump: FE0484, which flows 30 gph, works at 2 psi, and has a 6 psi relief

• 1985 460 carb in-tank pump: FE0127, which flows 24 gph, works at 36 psi, and has a 65 psi relief

I have two brand new FE0127's, and that would seem to be a no-go. However, here's the 1987 F250 460 page from Dephi, and it shows the FE0127 used for the aft-axle plastic tank and the FE0484 used for the aft-axle steel tank. HELP!

Gary, I'm late to the party ( again ) because I didn't ask for notifications. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Plastic tanks were for C&C trucks. -narrower frame rails-

Metal tanks were for pickups.

So now I hope I'm subscribed.

Gary, I'm late to the party ( again ) because I didn't ask for notifications. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Plastic tanks were for C&C trucks. -narrower frame rails-

Metal tanks were for pickups.

So now I hope I'm subscribed.

Jim - I wondered where you'd gotten off to. Ok, so the metal tank pumps are the ones I want to look at. Thanks.

Didn't get Delphi called yesterday, but maybe today. However, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to rig up a test.

Jim - I wondered where you'd gotten off to. Ok, so the metal tank pumps are the ones I want to look at. Thanks.

Didn't get Delphi called yesterday, but maybe today. However, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to rig up a test.

It's always easier to test and *know* the truth, than search and find some documentation that may (or may not) be accurate. .

Jim, I fully agree with that, you can find any answer you want on the internet and at least half are wrong.

I agree, guys. Which is why I didn't bother to call Delphi today. My wife and I went to see Just Getting Started, which we'd give a 3 on a 5-point scale, went out to eat, visited someone in the hospital, went to Best Buy and Old Navy, and generally had a day out.

Maybe tomorrow I can test the pumps and see what I have. But, I think I'd be a lot happier with 6 psi rather than 2 psi. Perhaps the valve will switch more reliably with a bit more pressure.

Had another thought about the reservoir idea. What about using one of the screw-on fuel filters between the 6-port valve and the HP pump? That would provide probably as much reservoir as the reservoir/valve combo, and put a filter in ahead of the HP pump for its protection.

I agree, guys. Which is why I didn't bother to call Delphi today. My wife and I went to see Just Getting Started, which we'd give a 3 on a 5-point scale, went out to eat, visited someone in the hospital, went to Best Buy and Old Navy, and generally had a day out.

Maybe tomorrow I can test the pumps and see what I have. But, I think I'd be a lot happier with 6 psi rather than 2 psi. Perhaps the valve will switch more reliably with a bit more pressure.

Had another thought about the reservoir idea. What about using one of the screw-on fuel filters between the 6-port valve and the HP pump? That would provide probably as much reservoir as the reservoir/valve combo, and put a filter in ahead of the HP pump for its protection.

The in-tank pumps have the sock on them that is all the newer pump modules use. The early (1985.5-1986) reservoir had a filter in it, the later ones do not. If you want to do that, I would get two regular large fuel filters and use one on each tank's supply to the reservoir. That way if you get some contaminated fuel you still have a clean filter for the other tank.

The in-tank pumps have the sock on them that is all the newer pump modules use. The early (1985.5-1986) reservoir had a filter in it, the later ones do not. If you want to do that, I would get two regular large fuel filters and use one on each tank's supply to the reservoir. That way if you get some contaminated fuel you still have a clean filter for the other tank.

That's a good idea, Bill. And, it should protect the 6-port valve.

But, do you have a suggestion on the filter to use? I keep finding diesel filters and not gasoline filters.

That's a good idea, Bill. And, it should protect the 6-port valve.

But, do you have a suggestion on the filter to use? I keep finding diesel filters and not gasoline filters.

I thought you were going with the reservoir rather than the 6 port valve? I had two in mind, one would be the standard old in-line fuel filter and use EFI high pressure hose and full circle clamps, the other was used by Ford on the high performance engines in the 60s and has a pretty good sized paper filter inside a steel canister and uses either 5/16" or 3/8" inverted flare fittings. A pair of those in the supply lines from the tanks could be checked and changed quickly if needed. Holley did sell them, they were also on a lot of Carter fuel pumps made for Ford, my Shelby had one, stuck down like an FE engine oil filter.

I thought you were going with the reservoir rather than the 6 port valve? I had two in mind, one would be the standard old in-line fuel filter and use EFI high pressure hose and full circle clamps, the other was used by Ford on the high performance engines in the 60s and has a pretty good sized paper filter inside a steel canister and uses either 5/16" or 3/8" inverted flare fittings. A pair of those in the supply lines from the tanks could be checked and changed quickly if needed. Holley did sell them, they were also on a lot of Carter fuel pumps made for Ford, my Shelby had one, stuck down like an FE engine oil filter.

I was going with the reservoir-style valve since you said the high-pressure pump needed the reservoir to ensure it doesn't run dry. But, if I put a screw-on filter 'twixt the LP pump and the valve then voila, there's a reservoir - right?

So, if that works then all I need is a Bosch HP pump as I have a new 6-port valve and two new in-tank pumps. Sound like a reasonable plan?

Another approach would be to see if I can put 80 - 85 senders on the '90-style in-tank pumps which need no external switching valve nor frame-mounted pump. But, if that fails on a trip then I'm probably out of luck getting replacement parts, where the way I'm going just replacement 1985/6 parts will work.

Thoughts?