Bullnose Forums

Upgrades To Big Blue For Overlanding?

Gary Lewis

Bill - I'll check later on the vacuum. But, one of the reasons it would be easy to SD big blue is that Huck is already set up for it and I have everything. See the pic below for the O2 sensor, which has the appropriate harness. So, I could go with the EFI intake and heads, but also the exhaust off of Huck with that O2 sensor. I have the rest of it with mufflers, so would just have to weld it back together and bolt it on. Obviously that does away with the L&L headers, but.....

Now for an update. Dropped the E4OD off at the tranny shop, which will be 'splained on that thread, soon. Then stopped at 4 Wheel Parts, where I got the winch and other things. Talked to Corey Marshall, who said he will sign up on here as he has an '86 Bronco and wants to find a Bullnose shortbed. Anyway, he also has a '96 F250 setup for overlanding and gave me a bunch of good tips about equipment as well as how to find places to overland in this region. More on that later.

Anyway, here's the pic of the rear of Huck, and you can see the O2 sensor in the lower left corner. It serves both exhaust pipes from its one location.

If it was me Gary (& I fully know it's not!).........

Having BB primarily as the lower mileage, long term workhorse (with Blue being the main tow truck & Dad's the cruiser/rod)...........I would install the O2 meter, throw a jetting kit in the glovebox & move on to the ZF5, oil leaks & mufflers, calling it good.

But again, that's just my thinking.....tell me to mind my business! :nabble_smiley_thinking:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me Gary (& I fully know it's not!).........

Having BB primarily as the lower mileage, long term workhorse (with Blue being the main tow truck & Dad's the cruiser/rod)...........I would install the O2 meter, throw a jetting kit in the glovebox & move on to the ZF5, oil leaks & mufflers, calling it good.

But again, that's just my thinking.....tell me to mind my business! :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Ken - Advice from a wise man. After creating a new "whiteboard" (Upgrades For Big Blue) on which to capture what I think I need to do to Big Blue in order to have him ready for such a trip, I'm somewhat taken aback by the list. So, continuing with the carb and tuning it when we get there or, for that matter, at a roadside stop on the way, would seem to be the best approach.

So, folks, please review the whiteboard and see what I've missed.

Ken - Advice from a wise man. After creating a new "whiteboard" (Upgrades For Big Blue) on which to capture what I think I need to do to Big Blue in order to have him ready for such a trip, I'm somewhat taken aback by the list. So, continuing with the carb and tuning it when we get there or, for that matter, at a roadside stop on the way, would seem to be the best approach.

So, folks, please review the whiteboard and see what I've missed.

*Better coffee cup holder. :nabble_smiley_blush:

*Better coffee cup holder. :nabble_smiley_blush:

What? You doubt the brilliance of the Ford engineers who gave us the little rings on the back of the glovebox door? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, that's actually a good idea. As I've said in the list on the whiteboard, it is a looooong way to the North Rim from here. By Google's measurements it is 1,132 miles and will take 17 hrs 22 min, although that is probably w/o stops. So, we will need some amenities, and drink holders would be high on the list.

I have a little drink holder/catchall that currently sits on the floor in front of the seat. That might suffice, but it is a stretch for everyone. However, if it is only the two of us going then we could strap it to the seat itself to make it handy.

Another option would be bucket seats. I have the ones destined for Dad's truck, and if we weren't expecting to get things dirty I could bolt them and the associated console in, and the console has drink holders. All of that is a direct bolt-in, but I'm afraid of getting the seats filthy. :nabble_smiley_cry:

What? You doubt the brilliance of the Ford engineers who gave us the little rings on the back of the glovebox door? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, that's actually a good idea. As I've said in the list on the whiteboard, it is a looooong way to the North Rim from here. By Google's measurements it is 1,132 miles and will take 17 hrs 22 min, although that is probably w/o stops. So, we will need some amenities, and drink holders would be high on the list.

I have a little drink holder/catchall that currently sits on the floor in front of the seat. That might suffice, but it is a stretch for everyone. However, if it is only the two of us going then we could strap it to the seat itself to make it handy.

Another option would be bucket seats. I have the ones destined for Dad's truck, and if we weren't expecting to get things dirty I could bolt them and the associated console in, and the console has drink holders. All of that is a direct bolt-in, but I'm afraid of getting the seats filthy. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The looooong made me think that!

I had a hanging cup holder that wouldn't work because it was short. I cut it and pop riveted an extension in. Some aluminum I had laying around. About a 2 inch extension I think.

Hangs at the front of the door. Just have to be a little careful going for the light or windshield wiper switch.

The looooong made me think that!

I had a hanging cup holder that wouldn't work because it was short. I cut it and pop riveted an extension in. Some aluminum I had laying around. About a 2 inch extension I think.

Hangs at the front of the door. Just have to be a little careful going for the light or windshield wiper switch.

One of the hanging cup holders would work, but what I'd really like to have is the Bronco setup shown below. It would be comfortable as well as convenient.

24129498_1518557031560237_3358900401709628042_n.jpg.e6e8a086a09c5e09d571bedd515c3e1a.jpg

And, the pic of the fog light switch on that Bronco, from the eBay folder, got me to thinking and I'd like input from y'all. I need driving lights for overlanding, and have a couple of ideas. In this pic of the front of Big Blue I've drawn in two possibilities. First, the circles indicate traditional round lights that would be period correct. But the rectangle shows where a LED bar might go. However, it can't be more than 3 1/2" high, and shouldn't be more than 24" long.

Thoughts?

Possible_Front_Lighing.thumb.jpg.e9598ff2e9f3a09dd5b59b0b2ca09da6.jpg

One of the hanging cup holders would work, but what I'd really like to have is the Bronco setup shown below. It would be comfortable as well as convenient.

And, the pic of the fog light switch on that Bronco, from the eBay folder, got me to thinking and I'd like input from y'all. I need driving lights for overlanding, and have a couple of ideas. In this pic of the front of Big Blue I've drawn in two possibilities. First, the circles indicate traditional round lights that would be period correct. But the rectangle shows where a LED bar might go. However, it can't be more than 3 1/2" high, and shouldn't be more than 24" long.

Thoughts?

Are you going to have room for the Bronco console when you get the ZF in?

Are you going to have room for the Bronco console when you get the ZF in?

Yep. The tranny cover will need to be the larger one, like the one I have for the ZF when I had it in Dad's truck, or the "new" one I got from Huck. But, they sit well forward of the seat and its base, so there's no interference.

Yep. The tranny cover will need to be the larger one, like the one I have for the ZF when I had it in Dad's truck, or the "new" one I got from Huck. But, they sit well forward of the seat and its base, so there's no interference.

I have the center console in my 86, just that the cup holders aren't deep.

I like the ones in my Bronco. They have inserts you can remove for bigger cups.

I like round lights, but the rectangle lights may tie in better with the square headlights.

I have the center console in my 86, just that the cup holders aren't deep.

I like the ones in my Bronco. They have inserts you can remove for bigger cups.

I like round lights, but the rectangle lights may tie in better with the square headlights.

I have two consoles for Dad's truck One has the removable inserts and one doesn't Don't remember the origins of them

And I think I like round lights better also.