Bullnose Forums

1984 F250 ignition issues

After I found the bad connection, only the rear tank would cut out.

Found the bad pump by jumpering the oil pressure wires for the fuel pump relay and letting the pump run until I heard it stop. That is without the engine running so I could hear it better.

I couldn't find the Ignition control module in my garage stash, so now I'm on the hunt to find a good one. I plan to keep the MSD distributor. From the research I've done, it should work with a Duraspark ignition module.

Is there a difference between the Duraspark I and II? I found a Duraspark I on amazon for $38.00, but am having a hard time finding a II on line.

Rockauto has several ICMs between $20 - $50 for that year (but none say duraspark). I'm thinking they're OEM (Duraspark II comparable) and leaning toward those.

What do you think?

I know I have to go back through and trace/fix all the ignition wires. Its a mess.

Ignition Control Module goes on the drivers side fender well?

Another thing that's been on my mind: Fuel line placement.

Admitted rookie mistake - the current carb set up has the fuel coming in from the passenger side. I routed the new fuel inline up the firewall from the drivers to the passengers side, fitted the fuel separator(?) (T that restricts the fuel so it doesn't vaporize due to the hot conditions of the 460) on the passenger side. This is both the supply and return.

I plan to reroute the fuel lines to the front of the motor so I can capture the cooling fan effect. My only

worry is proximity to the exhaust manifold.

Do you think the fuel line placement could be contributing to the problem?

I couldn't find the Ignition control module in my garage stash, so now I'm on the hunt to find a good one. I plan to keep the MSD distributor. From the research I've done, it should work with a Duraspark ignition module.

Is there a difference between the Duraspark I and II? I found a Duraspark I on amazon for $38.00, but am having a hard time finding a II on line.

Rockauto has several ICMs between $20 - $50 for that year (but none say duraspark). I'm thinking they're OEM (Duraspark II comparable) and leaning toward those.

What do you think?

I know I have to go back through and trace/fix all the ignition wires. Its a mess.

Ignition Control Module goes on the drivers side fender well?

Another thing that's been on my mind: Fuel line placement.

Admitted rookie mistake - the current carb set up has the fuel coming in from the passenger side. I routed the new fuel inline up the firewall from the drivers to the passengers side, fitted the fuel separator(?) (T that restricts the fuel so it doesn't vaporize due to the hot conditions of the 460) on the passenger side. This is both the supply and return.

I plan to reroute the fuel lines to the front of the motor so I can capture the cooling fan effect. My only

worry is proximity to the exhaust manifold.

Do you think the fuel line placement could be contributing to the problem?

I can't tell you all the differences between DS-I and DS-II, but the II came out in about 1976, although it varied a bit by vehicle. At the same time Ford introduced the larger distributor cap because the higher voltage of DS-II systems tended to jump across the smaller caps to the wrong cylinder.

And the module you want will have a blue grommet. There are actually several DS-II modules, with grommet colors of black, red, yellow, green, brown, and white in addition to blue. Plus, it goes on the driver's fender well/apron.

As for the fuel system, it may be possible to have the exhaust heat cause problems. But what I would have thought for SURE would cause problems on Big Blue didn't. The guy we call Florida Man (:nabble_florida-man-42_orig:) had the supply and return lines less than 1" from the driver's side header and it doesn't seem to have caused problems. But it sure scared me, so I moved the lines and put a heat shield on them to make sure.

I can't tell you all the differences between DS-I and DS-II, but the II came out in about 1976, although it varied a bit by vehicle. At the same time Ford introduced the larger distributor cap because the higher voltage of DS-II systems tended to jump across the smaller caps to the wrong cylinder.

And the module you want will have a blue grommet. There are actually several DS-II modules, with grommet colors of black, red, yellow, green, brown, and white in addition to blue. Plus, it goes on the driver's fender well/apron.

As for the fuel system, it may be possible to have the exhaust heat cause problems. But what I would have thought for SURE would cause problems on Big Blue didn't. The guy we call Florida Man (:nabble_florida-man-42_orig:) had the supply and return lines less than 1" from the driver's side header and it doesn't seem to have caused problems. But it sure scared me, so I moved the lines and put a heat shield on them to make sure.

Would this one work?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49683&cc=1123816&jsn=568