Bullnose Forums

1984 F250 ignition issues

So my 1984 Ford F250 auto w/a 460 will run for about 5-10 min and just shut off. I'm running a 600 cfm edelbrock, replaced all the fuel lines and rear tank, replaced new fuel tank selector valve, all the fuel related relays and installed the fuel vapor/separator valve.

The MSD 6AL system looks very old and the engine compartment puts out alot of heat. I think its an ignition issue. I recently replace the magnetic pickup, thinking it would solve the issue, only to have the truck shut down on me.

I'm thinking i should go back to the original electronic ignition system, but don' t know what came stock with a 460 at that year.

Is it just the Ignition Module?

Thanks

Do you have a tach?

When it does cut out, does the tach go to zero instantly, like you shut off the key?

Does it putter out like you ran out of gas?

How is your oil pressure?

Yes, in this year you would have the stock DSII system.

Gary has the EVTM posted up in resources.

Pay particular attention to the extra wiring for the Hot Fuel Handling in-tank pumps.

It's unique to the 460 and 351 H.O.

Do you have a tach?

When it does cut out, does the tach go to zero instantly, like you shut off the key?

Pay particular attention to the extra wiring for the Hot Fuel Handling in-tank pumps.

I had an in tank pump that would quit when it got warm, as in after I had driven for awhile.

Also what Jim touched on, I also had an intermittent cut out from a bad connection on the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump relay.

Do you have a tach?

I have the 1984 EVTM, but don't have it on-line. So I'll include the pages here 'cause there were some changes along the way and I want to make sure you have the right wiring diagrams.

1984_FORD_BRONCO-F150-350_ELECTRICAL__VACUUM_TROUBLESHOOTING_MANUAL.thumb.jpg.ace3324ebf85a3e41218ec98d3738c61.jpg

1984_FORD_BRONCO-F150-350_ELECTRICAL__VACUUM_TROUBLESHOOTING_MANUAL_-_89.thumb.jpg.aa69cbea7d6fa5415ecf4bed01f39360.jpg

1984_FORD_BRONCO-F150-350_ELECTRICAL__VACUUM_TROUBLESHOOTING_MANUAL_-_90.thumb.jpg.752fd29c255bebf5bd513399ec80c4a2.jpg

1984_FORD_BRONCO-F150-350_ELECTRICAL__VACUUM_TROUBLESHOOTING_MANUAL_-_91.thumb.jpg.8460934ef6f7d755e980723e5ba6be59.jpg

1984_FORD_BRONCO-F150-350_ELECTRICAL__VACUUM_TROUBLESHOOTING_MANUAL_-92.thumb.jpg.9b69d999ecf43542440ac8c1d4e44c1d.jpg

Do you have a tach?

It does have a tach. The truck just shuts off - but not like its running out of gas. I tried recreating the outage by pulling the fuel cut off relay. The truck sputtered and ran out of gas, so I've ruled out the fuel cut off relay. (and I recently replaced it with a new one).

When the outage happens, it take a couple pulls to get it going again. If I wait a couple of min, it lights right up. This is why I think something is getting hot, and causing the cut off.

When it does go out, I checked the fuel selector relay (everything getting power) and most times I can hear the fuel pumps turning.

When you first start the truck cold, after (2) pulls you I can hear the fuel pumps charge the lines. It normally starts right up on the third - then 10 min later is shuts off all at once. When i try to start it back up I can't hear the fuel pumps.

I wonder how the Tach would effect it.

I had an in tank pump that would quit when it got warm, as in after I had driven for awhile.

Also what Jim touched on, I also had an intermittent cut out from a bad connection on the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump relay.

I replace both fuel pumps.

How did you find out your fuel pumps were bad? Just didn't hear them anymore?

I have the 1984 EVTM, but don't have it on-line. So I'll include the pages here 'cause there were some changes along the way and I want to make sure you have the right wiring diagrams.

Thanks Gary. What do you think about just swapping out the MSD for a DSII? Rock island has Ignition Control modules for around $30.00

I think I can use the MSD distributor. The truck still has most of the old wires, although most are cut.

Thanks Gary. What do you think about just swapping out the MSD for a DSII? Rock island has Ignition Control modules for around $30.00

I think I can use the MSD distributor. The truck still has most of the old wires, although most are cut.

I think I'd try the DS-II box. They work quite well, and it sure does act like a heat-related issue.

It does have a tach.

I wonder how the Tach would effect it.

I was asking because the MSD unit only offers multiple sparks to a certain RPM, and then reverts to a single spark.

So I wanted to figure out if it happened as the unit switched modes.

Also many of these units (don't know everything about each model) have rev limiters.

So was considering that something had gone wrong with the pill.

But if you're willing to go back to the stock DSII, I'd try that first.

Shame about the hacked harness.

I would definitely be examining all of those connections.

I replace both fuel pumps.

How did you find out your fuel pumps were bad? Just didn't hear them anymore?

After I found the bad connection, only the rear tank would cut out.

Found the bad pump by jumpering the oil pressure wires for the fuel pump relay and letting the pump run until I heard it stop. That is without the engine running so I could hear it better.