Bullnose Forums

Today we lost an American Treasure...

reamer

This morning around 10am, the Collings Foundation's WWII B-17 Bomber crashed at Bradley International Airport, in CT. It was part of the "Wings of freedom tour" there were 3 crew members and 10 paying passengers that were to enjoy a 30 minute flight in the historic B-17 named Nine-O-Nine.

At least 5 have lost their lives.

I was on the plane Monday, Third time for me, Along with the B-17, there is a B-25 Mitchel, a B-24 Liberator, a P-40 fighter, and a P-51..

I met the crew, knew of the mechanics on board, no word on the victims names yet.

Please take a second to reflect.

Gary please move this if needed.

Rest in peace.....

B-17.thumb.jpg.aa329194ccd7d4355dcfd3c62f0d8bc7.jpg

It's always sad to lose lives and pieces of American History such as that plane, especially one as decorated as that one seems to be judging by all of the tallies.

That really was sad, both the loss of life as well as that piece of history. I think I've been in that plane, although only on the ground. It was at an air show in PA about 30 years ago and my son and I went.

That really was sad, both the loss of life as well as that piece of history. I think I've been in that plane, although only on the ground. It was at an air show in PA about 30 years ago and my son and I went.

Hats off and heads bowed to those who lost their lives on that flight this morning.

I noted some unusual approaches to Tweed in New Haven around 11 but didn't understand that flights were being diverted from Bradley until lunch and checked the news.

This is very sad.

Nine-o-nine was popular on the warbird circuit and had experienced crew.

I've seen her flying but never been aboard.

That's a real shame, the lives and the plane both.

My grandmother's husband served as navigator on B-17s as well as B-24s over Germany. Ever since I learned that (they married in 2000) I've wanted to go for a flight in one, just to see things from his perspective. Hopefully I'll still have the chance some day.

IMG_0885.thumb.jpg.85ec353c2b12aee6e16118ed8f61ba5e.jpg

That's a real shame, the lives and the plane both.

My grandmother's husband served as navigator on B-17s as well as B-24s over Germany. Ever since I learned that (they married in 2000) I've wanted to go for a flight in one, just to see things from his perspective. Hopefully I'll still have the chance some day.

A great loss for the families and the country.

Read this morning they confirmed 7 fatalities in this accident.

I'm curious if my company will be making a statement in relation to it.

A great loss for the families and the country.

Read this morning they confirmed 7 fatalities in this accident.

I'm curious if my company will be making a statement in relation to it.

Reamer I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for sharing, so sorry to hear. Had to be a big impact since you just rode with them

Reamer I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for sharing, so sorry to hear. Had to be a big impact since you just rode with them

FAA has taken all the engines for an intense examination along with samples of the fuel that did survive, (along with all the remaining pieces....)

FAA has taken all the engines for an intense examination along with samples of the fuel that did survive, (along with all the remaining pieces....)

Well, if they did get filled with jet-A I can't imagine the horror of the pilots as they tried to climb and the engines sputtered to a stop one by one.

Think if you topped up with diesel at the rest stop and pulled into the middle of the highway as your truck died.

Then imagine you were pulling up, instead of out.... and you had a van full of passengers.

Well, if they did get filled with jet-A I can't imagine the horror of the pilots as they tried to climb and the engines sputtered to a stop one by one.

Think if you topped up with diesel at the rest stop and pulled into the middle of the highway as your truck died.

Then imagine you were pulling up, instead of out.... and you had a van full of passengers.

This is one of the key questions, the grade of aviation fuel. And our "on top of things" senator demands to know why there is no "black box" in a B-17 Bomber.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Probably for the same reason why I don't have a Tire pressure monitoring system in my 1948 F-5...