Bullnose Forums

"Baruch" - The 1983 F100 Soon-to-be Work Truck

Ethobling

Personally, I don't have issue with Horrid Fate tools. They are what they are, and built to a price point. Quality has been getting better and better.

I suggest you look on eBay for an old tach/timing light combo.

That's what you really need anyhow.

And there are so many of these outdated tools languishing in sheds and garages they turn up cheap. (I bought a Sunnen timing light for $12!)

Estate and garage sales are another good source.

I went by to have a look at the unit in question.

IMG_20191002_085422.thumb.jpg.796d4cb3019ba9e387169a264096764c.jpg

It seems fine.

If you can't find a used Tach/Dwell/Timing light kit on eBay I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this useful diagnostic tool

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't have issue with Horrid Fate tools. They are what they are, and built to a price point. Quality has been getting better and better.

That's because they are getting more of their stuff now from the same factories as the big name guys and cutting out the middle man.

That Daytona Jack is made on the same line as the Snap-On jack that costs $700

Look at their new icon Pro line of hand tools... its red and black handles look eerily similar to Snap-On.

That's because they are getting more of their stuff now from the same factories as the big name guys and cutting out the middle man.

That Daytona Jack is made on the same line as the Snap-On jack that costs $700

Look at their new icon Pro line of hand tools... its red and black handles look eerily similar to Snap-On.

Snap-On should have stuck to "Made in the USA." I know some of their stuff is, but the ONLY time I would pay their price tag would be if it is made right here in the USA and if they are going to keep shifting things to China...

But, yeah. I've heard great things about the Horror Fright Daytona jacks (that's why I bought it :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Snap-On should have stuck to "Made in the USA." I know some of their stuff is, but the ONLY time I would pay their price tag would be if it is made right here in the USA and if they are going to keep shifting things to China...

But, yeah. I've heard great things about the Horror Fright Daytona jacks (that's why I bought it :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Even then it's not worth it. (And this is coming from someone with quite a few snap-on and Bluepoint tools)

They work in the sharecropper model.

Their truck comes to the dealership or garage and offers financing to employees whose paychecks they basically garnish.

If you bite at their bait (truck full of shiny tools) you are endentured.

But sometimes you 'need' that esoteric wrench or socket (10 pt Honda headbolts anyone?)

Others sacrifice their firstborn for a 12' long cabinet, and can't bear to fill it with anything but "the best".

These are the ones that go home and stroke their egos, but can't afford to have a life beyond that shop.

Even then it's not worth it. (And this is coming from someone with quite a few snap-on and Bluepoint tools)

They work in the sharecropper model.

Their truck comes to the dealership or garage and offers financing to employees whose paychecks they basically garnish.

If you bite at their bait (truck full of shiny tools) you are endentured.

But sometimes you 'need' that esoteric wrench or socket (10 pt Honda headbolts anyone?)

Others sacrifice their firstborn for a 12' long cabinet, and can't bear to fill it with anything but "the best".

These are the ones that go home and stroke their egos, but can't afford to have a life beyond that shop.

Mac and Matco, the same, but maybe not quite as bloodthirsty. 🧛‍♂️

I suggest you look on eBay for an old tach/timing light combo.

That's what you really need anyhow.

And there are so many of these outdated tools languishing in sheds and garages they turn up cheap. (I bought a Sunnen timing light for $12!)

Estate and garage sales are another good source.

I see a Tach, Dwell, Timing light kit for $50 delivered, but to me the screaming deal is this kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kal-Tunemaster-Tach-Dwell-Ign-Tester-Alt-reg-Tester-Fuel-press-Timing-Light/264402497376?hash=item3d8f9def60:g:FxMAAOSwX~9dMKYf&redirect=mobile

$50 + 23.15 shipping.

Additional: Alternator/Battery tester, Vacuum/Pressure gauge for tuning and fuel troubleshooting, spark analyzer, all in a sturdy metal tool box.

If you don't want it, I will grab it before it's gone.

I see a Tach, Dwell, Timing light kit for $50 delivered, but to me the screaming deal is this kit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kal-Tunemaster-Tach-Dwell-Ign-Tester-Alt-reg-Tester-Fuel-press-Timing-Light/264402497376?hash=item3d8f9def60:g:FxMAAOSwX~9dMKYf&redirect=mobile

$50 + 23.15 shipping.

Additional: Alternator/Battery tester, Vacuum/Pressure gauge for tuning and fuel troubleshooting, spark analyzer, all in a sturdy metal tool box.

If you don't want it, I will grab it before it's gone.

Go ahead and grab it. I'll probably just adjust the idle by ear for now.

Go ahead and grab it. I'll probably just adjust the idle by ear for now.

And the post is gone....

If you got a multi piece pan gasket set there will be a rubber 'U' for front (timing case) and rear (crank journal)

You need to apply silicone to the ears at each end where these meet the rail gasket at each side.

And the post is gone....

If you got a multi piece pan gasket set there will be a rubber 'U' for front (timing case) and rear (crank journal)

You need to apply silicone to the ears at each end where these meet the rail gasket at each side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1985-1986-1987-Ford-Truck-Van-300-6-engine-lower-gaskets-E5TZ-6E078-B-F150/192906592955?epid=25018201147&hash=item2cea2102bb:g:U5sAAOSwXIhbnqva

And the post is gone....

Yeah I deleted it because I realized it was a dumb question. I should have just looked at the pan better.

Thanks for the tip on using silicone.

Thanks for the link, Mr. 1986.