Bullnose Forums

Fasteners - Barrel Nuts

That is the wrong "clip" on that (not) metal pin.

What do you mean with the '(not)'?

Just got home and checked the two junk pieces of trim that have the small metal pins matching mine. Pulled them so I'd have spares pins when I realized they weren't common in the local jy. They use the same barrel nuts and are threaded also

Dave - I agree that with the threaded pins those barrel nuts won't stay in the fender which means they tear the retaining tabs off. Seems like an odd choice by Ford.

I like the idea of using nuts on them but I am not sure how much of a trick they'd be to install. When I get the truck back I'll have to see if the holes are accessible from inside the fender.

What I meant was it's a threaded stud and "not" a pin.

When I get to the garage this weekend I will see if I can dig up the moldings but I think the are covered in plastic for painting the truck and can't get to them just yet to check.

Dave ----

What I meant was it's a threaded stud and "not" a pin.

When I get to the garage this weekend I will see if I can dig up the moldings but I think the are covered in plastic for painting the truck and can't get to them just yet to check.

Dave ----

I may be getting my truck back tomorrow and since the inner fenders are out I will see what can be done.

I don't see Ford putting nuts on these from the factory though (speed/replacement) so I wouldn't call them the wrong fasteners, since they are stock, but I would call them odd. 😁 Especially on an 86. One thing if they are a first year merge on an 80 but not the 86.

I may be getting my truck back tomorrow and since the inner fenders are out I will see what can be done.

I don't see Ford putting nuts on these from the factory though (speed/replacement) so I wouldn't call them the wrong fasteners, since they are stock, but I would call them odd. 😁 Especially on an 86. One thing if they are a first year merge on an 80 but not the 86.

Yes the moldings are covered with 2 layers of plastic and I don't want to go moving them just yet to kick up dust & dirt as I have more painting to do today.

I did give a quick look, in the dark, at the fenders that are off the truck and there is a hole in the brace to get a nut & socket in there but you would need to drop the inner liner and I don't know if you have room because of the cab cowl vent drain coming down in that area.

I also cant remember how I removed the moldings off the parts truck as it has been almost 4 years.

Dave ----

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, I need to get this info onto the website - after we move the website.

This is an excerpt from what the catalog is referring to as Section R:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n39703/JU_Retainer.jpg

And here's what the Standard & Utility Catalog says about it:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n39703/375480-S102.jpg

BTTT

Gary or anyone in the know

for the 80/83? trucks with F O R D letters on the hood do you have the barrel nut dimensions / type for them?

I have the old ones but some were bent and I got then some what straight.

I also got a pack of 15 from NAPA but they are a little to big. Tthey slip on / off the pins and have not tried in the holes on the hood. I fear if I get them in and they don't fit tight to the pins I cant get them out with out hurting the paint.

Thanks

Dave ----

Boy, I need to get this info onto the website - after we move the website.

This is an excerpt from what the catalog is referring to as Section R:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n39703/JU_Retainer.jpg

And here's what the Standard & Utility Catalog says about it:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n39703/375480-S102.jpg

BTTT

Gary or anyone in the know

for the 80/83? trucks with F O R D letters on the hood do you have the barrel nut dimensions / type for them?

I have the old ones but some were bent and I got then some what straight.

I also got a pack of 15 from NAPA but they are a little to big. Tthey slip on / off the pins and have not tried in the holes on the hood. I fear if I get them in and they don't fit tight to the pins I cant get them out with out hurting the paint.

Thanks

Dave ----

Dave - First, I'm "in the know" for the retainers for the 1982 & 3 letters: E0TZ 000000-A. (They only used the letters in '80 & '81. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

But, it isn't so easy for the 1980 & '81 trucks. That's 'cause there apparently isn't a part number in the catalog for them. As you can see below, "Incl. attaching parts" means they came with the letters:

1980-81_Hood_Lettering_Part_Numbers.thumb.jpg.5168c2185dbd030e9fc7b3100aa7d664.jpg

But, if you can measure the studs and give me a pic of the original retainers maybe we can figure it out?

Dave - First, I'm "in the know" for the retainers for the 1982 & 3 letters: E0TZ 000000-A. (They only used the letters in '80 & '81. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

But, it isn't so easy for the 1980 & '81 trucks. That's 'cause there apparently isn't a part number in the catalog for them. As you can see below, "Incl. attaching parts" means they came with the letters:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n42463/1980-81_Hood_Lettering_Part_Numbers.jpg

But, if you can measure the studs and give me a pic of the original retainers maybe we can figure it out?

Thanks I cant keep the years straight when they did away with the hood letters or went to ball joints. It will not be the last time I get it wrong.

The clip looks like type 2 is your post.

Over the weekend I will get measurements and some pictures

Dave ----

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n42463/1980-81_Hood_Lettering_Part_Numbers.jpg

Thanks I cant keep the years straight when they did away with the hood letters or went to ball joints. It will not be the last time I get it wrong.

The clip looks like type 2 is your post.

Over the weekend I will get measurements and some pictures

Dave ----

Screenshot_20191031-154807.thumb.png.941ab65358390c901314391ff486d03f.png

Is this about what you are looking for?