Bullnose Forums

I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

Whisler

Ok, let's make sure this thing is what you want. As shown below, my math says originally the bottom of the recess to the back of the lip was .754". And 11/16" = .6875", so the amount to take off is .0665". Right?

I wound up at .684", but if that's too short I can send you the shavings so you can glue them back on. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Anyway, if this is what you want just click on my name and send me an email with your address. I'll get it out tomorrow. If not, what changes do you need?

Oh, and here's a shot while I was machining it.

That looks great Gary. E-mail sent with address.

I agree with the previous sentiment, you are a stand-up guy. I appreciate your help greatly.

Now I'll be able to say I have a custom built part on my truck and imported (from Oklahoma) at that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the thought that counts, Jim. You gave it to me, so it is the least I could do.

Note that I actually enlarged the recess at its base. Apparently the folks doing the CNC work on these at the factory were in a hurry and pushed the limits of their boring bar, and it flexed when they got to the bottom. I took off very small amounts since I was only taking off .067" and didn't have any flex. So, the recess is now a bit truer. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Wow, Gary... 2 cups of coffee really gets you going! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

That looks great Gary. E-mail sent with address.

I agree with the previous sentiment, you are a stand-up guy. I appreciate your help greatly.

Now I'll be able to say I have a custom built part on my truck and imported (from Oklahoma) at that.

Dennis/Whisler - Got the email. No prob. I plan to send it tomorrow, and may take Darin/Oz's crossmember at the same time.

David - You and I know that the second one is French roast, and that gets just about everything going. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now back to gutting The Huck, more of which later - after a badly-needed shower. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Dennis/Whisler - Got the email. No prob. I plan to send it tomorrow, and may take Darin/Oz's crossmember at the same time.

David - You and I know that the second one is French roast, and that gets just about everything going. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now back to gutting The Huck, more of which later - after a badly-needed shower. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Pulley is "in the mail". Email sent on the shipping cost. Done and dusted, as the Brit's would say. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hope it fits. Let us know.

Gary, the pulley fits fine and looks great, but this 3G install sure has turned out to be an adventure.

First there was the pulley issue, which Gary kindly fixed. Then I found that, when mounting the alternator to the bracket, I did not have enough rotation of the alternator to engage the adjustment arm. The much larger 3G alternator was hitting part of the bracket. This bracket is the huge ugly one used to mount both alternator and AIR pump in "84, except that it had been de-horned to remove the AIR pump bracket ears.

My options were extend the adjustment bracket or grind the upper bracket. Since I don't weld but I do grind , you know where I went. After extensive "clearancing" of the bracket with a Dremel tool, I finally had enough rotation to engage the last few inches of the adjustment slot. (This definitely makes me think that I need to learn to weld.)

Now it's time to install a belt and see what alignment looked like. Let's see, I have belts in 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 41, & 42 in. lengths. So what size do I need? Why 39 inches, of course.

So I stopped for the evening and will pick up a 39" belt in the AM. Wish me luck.

Thanks again to Gary for the pulley and custom modifications, and thanks to my wife for the gift of the Dremel set.

Gary, the pulley fits fine and looks great, but this 3G install sure has turned out to be an adventure.

First there was the pulley issue, which Gary kindly fixed. Then I found that, when mounting the alternator to the bracket, I did not have enough rotation of the alternator to engage the adjustment arm. The much larger 3G alternator was hitting part of the bracket. This bracket is the huge ugly one used to mount both alternator and AIR pump in "84, except that it had been de-horned to remove the AIR pump bracket ears.

My options were extend the adjustment bracket or grind the upper bracket. Since I don't weld but I do grind , you know where I went. After extensive "clearancing" of the bracket with a Dremel tool, I finally had enough rotation to engage the last few inches of the adjustment slot. (This definitely makes me think that I need to learn to weld.)

Now it's time to install a belt and see what alignment looked like. Let's see, I have belts in 35, 36, 37, 38, 40, 41, & 42 in. lengths. So what size do I need? Why 39 inches, of course.

So I stopped for the evening and will pick up a 39" belt in the AM. Wish me luck.

Thanks again to Gary for the pulley and custom modifications, and thanks to my wife for the gift of the Dremel set.

Glad it worked! :nabble_anim_claps:

As for the other problems, I just typed "While replacing the engine I will also install the ZF5. And, while that would seem to be a very simple thing, something is bound to require a bit more work than just going back with the T-19." So, I've been there, done that, and feel your pain. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think this is why many people use the 8.25" C-C 3G off a 3.8 V-6.

The extra 5/8 distance between pivot and the larger 148mm body of the 130A 3G gives them a little more room to swing the alternator in.

I think this is why many people use the 8.25" C-C 3G off a 3.8 V-6.

The extra 5/8 distance between pivot and the larger 148mm body of the 130A 3G gives them a little more room to swing the alternator in.

That sounds like a good reason for using the larger C-C alternator but I got what I think was a good buy on this used Mustang V-6 alternator. We will see if it was a good buy when I get everything hooked up and checked out.