Bullnose Forums

I need a single V-groove alternator pulley

Whisler

In the midst of a 3G alternator conversion, I find that my double groove alternator pulley is too thick to allow sufficient thread purchase for the mounting nut. I am in need of a single groove alternator pulley. Anyone have one laying around unused and neglected. :nabble_smiley_happy:

If so let me know how much. This for a 1984 351W if that matters.

Thanks.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll look tomorrow, but I don't know if I have a single or not. If I do it is yours. But, if so we will need to make sure it has the right width to the vee/groove.

Remember the offset you need to have for the belts to line up.

I bought the L&L alternator mounting kit which came with a pulley and I think I sent it off to Gary.

RJM used to sell the pulley inexpensively.

If you have a lathe you can bore the center of yours a little deeper.

I'm using the stock pulley with a flange nut and Loctite.

When Bill and I met last week he said he had the startup squeak and went with a larger Taurus pulley. (I have a LRC regulator for that problem)

The shaft size is common (15mm, I think) so it's not too hard to find something that fits.

Remember the offset you need to have for the belts to line up.

I bought the L&L alternator mounting kit which came with a pulley and I think I sent it off to Gary.

RJM used to sell the pulley inexpensively.

If you have a lathe you can bore the center of yours a little deeper.

I'm using the stock pulley with a flange nut and Loctite.

When Bill and I met last week he said he had the startup squeak and went with a larger Taurus pulley. (I have a LRC regulator for that problem)

The shaft size is common (15mm, I think) so it's not too hard to find something that fits.

Jim, you have to remember, I have the poly groove (serpentine style) belts and the Taurus unit I got the pulley from was the same, just used a larger pulley, also mine is the uprated one RJM sold, 160 amps.

Jim, you have to remember, I have the poly groove (serpentine style) belts and the Taurus unit I got the pulley from was the same, just used a larger pulley, also mine is the uprated one RJM sold, 160 amps.

I do know that.

My suggestion was that a larger diameter (like the V-belt pulley I sent Gary) would stop the chirp, instead of swapping in an LRC regulator like I did.

I do know that.

My suggestion was that a larger diameter (like the V-belt pulley I sent Gary) would stop the chirp, instead of swapping in an LRC regulator like I did.

If I have that pulley, and I should, it'll be Whisler's. I'm using a two-groove pulley that I modified for Dad's truck, and may go serpentine on Big Blue, so certainly don't need it.

If I have that pulley, and I should, it'll be Whisler's. I'm using a two-groove pulley that I modified for Dad's truck, and may go serpentine on Big Blue, so certainly don't need it.

You have it, unless it found a new home already.

It may be two groove but I know *you* have a lathe. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You have it, unless it found a new home already.

It may be two groove but I know *you* have a lathe. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I measured the pulley sheave i was using and it measures 0.38 inside lip to inside lip and the belt I was using measures 0.40. My pulley measurement agrees with the info that Number Dummy gave me but the belt I am using is definitely not a 15/32 even though your info says it should be. Strange as I don't see how a 15/32 belt would work in a 3/8 groove.