Bullnose Forums

Vacuum line routing help needed.

FuzzFace2

First I should say a few things about this "project" so we know what we are working with.

Project is an 81 F100 300 six/T18 with AC & duel tanks.

Motor is not the one the truck came with. Think it is late 80's but not sure?

Air filter assy. I also don't know if this truck came with this type or the more common bigger round one?

1- I don't need or want to hook up all the vacuum lines as posted it the diagram.

2- I do want to hook up the dist. vac. advance and right now it is run to the carb. I am ok with that but if it is run a different way from the factory please let me know.

3- I do want to hook up the carb bowl vent to keep the fumes at bay and the 2 canisters this hose runs too. This hose had a "T" and pulled vac. from some where? I need to know where as I cant figure this out.

I do have the 2 tanks piped to the canisters.

4- Air filter, I would like the door on the snorkel to work as I do have the duct work to pull cooler fresh air from in front of the grille. I think this "switch" is on the floor of the filter assy and hoses get put on from the bottom side. Does this get manifold vac. or ? Also the supply hose get connected to the side with the open port on top or the other side? (see picture)

5- I am not too worried of the 2 vac. valves/switches on the side of the air filter assy. unless they need to be hooked up to get the filter door to work or the canisters.

Picture of vacuum label

20160606_165929.jpg.bc31a81f6abbecbe968307b580104c4b.jpg

Larger image link

http://cars.grantskingdom.com/var/albums/1981-Ford-F100/20160606_165929.jpg

Picture of air filter switches/valves - 1 of the switches on the side is marked "TVS" the other has fords numbers on it.

20171124_070433.jpg.907849ec026bdb8c26f790ed1bde1de8.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Dave ----

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave - You can find what all of those abbreviations on the diagram mean here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vacuum-diagrams.html

As for the vacuum advance, I like to run it to ported vacuum. But, the carbs on the 300's don't seem to have a port that will give full vacuum at cruise, so on those engines with the original carb I'd go with manifold vacuum. That shouldn't be a problem with yours as you are going with a manual tranny, but those with an auto may run into hunting of the RPM or too high of RPM in neutral.

I'm not fully up to speed on the tank canisters and the purge system, so will let others answer that. However, Purge CV is the purge canister valve, and TVV is Thermal Vacuum Valve and they play a role.

On the air cleaner temp sensor, the port sticking into the air cleaner itself is where it senses the temp. And the port to the rear of the air cleaner is the one that gets manifold vacuum, while the other one goes to the vacuum motor. And, you can bypass the other two devices if you want. One or both are for cold weather usage to ensure the snorkel doesn't come open if you give the engine too much throttle and drop the vacuum.

Dave - You can find what all of those abbreviations on the diagram mean here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/vacuum-diagrams.html

As for the vacuum advance, I like to run it to ported vacuum. But, the carbs on the 300's don't seem to have a port that will give full vacuum at cruise, so on those engines with the original carb I'd go with manifold vacuum. That shouldn't be a problem with yours as you are going with a manual tranny, but those with an auto may run into hunting of the RPM or too high of RPM in neutral.

I'm not fully up to speed on the tank canisters and the purge system, so will let others answer that. However, Purge CV is the purge canister valve, and TVV is Thermal Vacuum Valve and they play a role.

On the air cleaner temp sensor, the port sticking into the air cleaner itself is where it senses the temp. And the port to the rear of the air cleaner is the one that gets manifold vacuum, while the other one goes to the vacuum motor. And, you can bypass the other two devices if you want. One or both are for cold weather usage to ensure the snorkel doesn't come open if you give the engine too much throttle and drop the vacuum.

Gary, Thank you.

Air cleaner routing I can now do if I had the hose.

Going to have to wait for someone that has played with the canister purge side of this to help out as I am still in left field.

I could not find "VCV" in that link. It is in the lower left of my picture.

I did see "VCKV" in 2 times (VCKV & V CK V)

Thanks for the help

Dave ----

Gary, Thank you.

Air cleaner routing I can now do if I had the hose.

Going to have to wait for someone that has played with the canister purge side of this to help out as I am still in left field.

I could not find "VCV" in that link. It is in the lower left of my picture.

I did see "VCKV" in 2 times (VCKV & V CK V)

Thanks for the help

Dave ----

Dave - Sorry about that, I thought that VCV was in there. But, it is now. The Ranger Station says that is Vacuum Control Valve, and Rock Auto concurs.

And, I took the second V CK V out. Thanks!

Dave - Sorry about that, I thought that VCV was in there. But, it is now. The Ranger Station says that is Vacuum Control Valve, and Rock Auto concurs.

And, I took the second V CK V out. Thanks!

Glad to help.

I just spent 2 hours looking over the parts CD and my head hurts!

I did find some of what I was looking for in section 96 & 96.1.

Unless someone can add more to the canister purge I may wing it as I don't have the purge valve (9B963) and could not figure how to find the full PN.

I did partly see how it gets plumbed and why the wing it part.

I also under stand the meaning (mostly) of the parts/names like VCV and TVS.

Would 1 be off the stat housing or could it be 1 of the things on the side of the filter housing?.

What do they look like?

The fun continues!

Dave ----

Glad to help.

Unless someone can add more to the canister purge I may wing it as I don't have the purge valve (9B963) and could not figure how to find the full PN.

Would 1 be off the stat housing or could it be 1 of the things on the side of the filter housing?.

What do they look like?

The fun continues!

Dave ----

To find the full part number you need the calibration code. And, you probably don't have that - right? We can probsably get close enough with just a 300 six for an '81, but do you have the code?

And, these are the illustrations you found, I'm sure:

300_Six_Single_Canister.thumb.jpg.8631e05526fb8d28d42c3c73e51a8ab7.jpg

300_Six_Dual_Canister.thumb.jpg.40146e80ec6b824aeafab1a6f2fe47cc.jpg

Glad to help.

What do they look like?

The fun continues!

Dave ----

You cab hook the bowl vent directly to the cannister. The purge valve isn't needed.

To find the full part number you need the calibration code. And, you probably don't have that - right? We can probsably get close enough with just a 300 six for an '81, but do you have the code?

And, these are the illustrations you found, I'm sure:

It is strange, but those illustrations plainly say 1980/83 300 (4.9L) and list two parts: 9B963 and 9B999. But 9B999 does not appear in the Text section of the catalog anywhere. And 9B963 doesn't show up in the calibration parts lists until 1985. :nabble_anim_confused:

So, maybe they weren't considered part of the calibration? I ask because there's the listing, below, showing them being used as early as 1980.

Anyway, there they are and you can see the Motorcraft part number. For yours I'd go with CX-330, and there's one here on eBay.

9B963.thumb.jpg.3e931824f1fec326d18a51710f415a0a.jpg

Dave: I have a valve from my '84 351W that I think served the same function as the one you need, although it does not look anything like the one pictured. I know it was attached between the bowl vent and the charcoal canister.

It is a cylinder 1" in diameter and 1 3/8 " tall, with ports off opposite sides of the cylinder, one higher and one lower. There is a vacuum port off of the bottom, and no "engineering numbers" any where to be seen: just an arrow pointing to the upper port with the word "carb" and the Ford oval logo.

If it sounds like you could use it, let me know and I will mail it to you. I kept most of the little vacuum valves when I switched over to Duraspark and non-feedback carb. but I will probably never use them.

You cab hook the bowl vent directly to the cannister. The purge valve isn't needed.

Are you inside my head :nabble_smiley_good:

Just what I am going to do, I have already spent too much time on this.

It is strange, but those illustrations plainly say 1980/83 300 (4.9L) and list two parts: 9B963 and 9B999. But 9B999 does not appear in the Text section of the catalog anywhere. And 9B963 doesn't show up in the calibration parts lists until 1985. :nabble_anim_confused:

So, maybe they weren't considered part of the calibration? I ask because there's the listing, below, showing them being used as early as 1980.

Anyway, there they are and you can see the Motorcraft part number. For yours I'd go with CX-330, and there's one here on eBay.

http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/file/n4549/9B963.jpg

Yes they are the pictures I found on the CD and how I figured I would run the hose.

You are right I don't have the calibration code.

When I looked up that valve on ebay it does not fit my truck. Something like 83-91 7.5L v8 in a 250/350.

Dave: I have a valve from my '84 351W that I think served the same function as the one you need, although it does not look anything like the one pictured. I know it was attached between the bowl vent and the charcoal canister.

It is a cylinder 1" in diameter and 1 3/8 " tall, with ports off opposite sides of the cylinder, one higher and one lower. There is a vacuum port off of the bottom, and no "engineering numbers" any where to be seen: just an arrow pointing to the upper port with the word "carb" and the Ford oval logo.

If it sounds like you could use it, let me know and I will mail it to you. I kept most of the little vacuum valves when I switched over to Duraspark and non-feedback carb. but I will probably never use them.

Thanks for the offer. I am going with Pete's post and bypass this control and run it right to a vacuum supply.

From the pictures in Gary's post it looks like it hooks to the top port of the PCV.

If I find it causes a vacuum leak I can add a restriction as I don't think it needs a lot of "supply" to pull the fumes.

Tomorrow I will get some vacuum hoses and "T's" to finish this and the air filter snorkel door.

Thanks guy for all the help.

Dave G.