Bullnose Forums

Westward ho!

Dorsai

So hot-fueling did the trick, I made it in to Owasso last night in good order. One other weird thing, though...I started having problems getting back on the highway. I could pull out of the station just fine, but as soon as I tried to give it some gas to get on the road it started bucking and staggering, but never quite stalled out. After about 30 seconds of this it would clear up and drive just fine. On my last stop before arrival I left the hood up (engine still running), and had no problems whatsoever getting on the road again.

Theory: I’m having DS-II heat problems, caused by excessive underhood temperatures. Leaving the hood open to get some air in helps, as does getting the truck moving enough for a breeze to start cooling things down.

I haven’t tried to start the truck yet this morning, but I bet it starts with no difficulty. And if it doesn’t, I have a spare module in my tub o’parts. 😁

Matthew, I want to have a look under your hood. Those symptoms are very familiar to me, as I had the same issues ~20-22 years ago. It was fueling issue... I resolved the issue, and had no more hot start issues over the next ~15 years.

Glad you made it! I had actually just sent a text to Gary asking if he had heard anything further from you in regards to the rest of the trip. If you're free this afternoon, you're more than welcome to join us prior to the MPG test loop. I know I'll have a seat available....

Yes, as said in the email just now, please come on over early. David should be on the road and has an ETA of 3:00. Chris is on the road and Google says he should be here by 4:00, but in his case maybe by 6:00? :nabble_smiley_evil: Paul, come on when you want. I'm just getting things ready.

So hot-fueling did the trick, I made it in to Owasso last night in good order. One other weird thing, though...I started having problems getting back on the highway. I could pull out of the station just fine, but as soon as I tried to give it some gas to get on the road it started bucking and staggering, but never quite stalled out. After about 30 seconds of this it would clear up and drive just fine. On my last stop before arrival I left the hood up (engine still running), and had no problems whatsoever getting on the road again.

Theory: I’m having DS-II heat problems, caused by excessive underhood temperatures. Leaving the hood open to get some air in helps, as does getting the truck moving enough for a breeze to start cooling things down.

I haven’t tried to start the truck yet this morning, but I bet it starts with no difficulty. And if it doesn’t, I have a spare module in my tub o’parts. 😁

You can always buy a $.99 bag of ice and toss it on top if the truck doesn't want to start.

Of course this only works until the unit decides to give up completely

David should be on the road and has an ETA of 3:00.

Hey Gary, make sure you pass the word on to David that the Garagemahal Marketplace "Ebay Finds" has been a little quiet the past couple days...lol.:nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm just waiting for pictures with this "Gary" fellow to make sure he's the real deal. :nabble_anim_blbl:

You can always buy a $.99 bag of ice and toss it on top if the truck doesn't want to start.

Or you can stop by a certain garage in Skiatook and get fixed up with the newfangled Duraspark IV dual-module ignition system - patent pending, I’m sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

9C80CAEC-93E4-47C9-B5F1-719885323FAC.jpeg.10bec2faab40ad95b15bb4b4c7abb39b.jpeg

Or you can stop by a certain garage in Skiatook and get fixed up with the newfangled Duraspark IV dual-module ignition system - patent pending, I’m sure. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll pass it on to David that he's slacking. He should be out here on the porch in a few minutes.

As for being the real deal, I'm not sure about that. But I suspect there will be pictures today.

And I like that ignition module mount. Hope it solves the problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll pass it on to David that he's slacking. He should be out here on the porch in a few minutes.

As for being the real deal, I'm not sure about that. But I suspect there will be pictures today.

And I like that ignition module mount. Hope it solves the problem. :nabble_smiley_good:

Getting a late start due to staying up far too long with friends in Jenks, but I’m off to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY!

6423E950-89FB-4DCC-9418-13EF76299D62.thumb.png.9a1bf9bcf5c22f638929b3a86e4bda3f.png

Getting a late start due to staying up far too long with friends in Jenks, but I’m off to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY!

Travel safely, Matthew. Sure was good to meet you after, as you said, 7 years of knowing each other on forums. Hope the return trip is completely uneventful and that you don't have more of the overheating problem.

Travel safely, Matthew. Sure was good to meet you after, as you said, 7 years of knowing each other on forums. Hope the return trip is completely uneventful and that you don't have more of the overheating problem.

Current status:

2E879D8F-1D09-4C4B-9D28-2DE4376BD469.jpeg.8b337b9907c6544a597b6f6e8a703916.jpeg

So far everything seems fine - it’s cool and cloudy, which helps, but after 90 minutes or so of highway driving, the module temperature is only 95 degrees.