Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Ok gentlemen,

The first test assembly went great. Everything fits like a glove. I must have done something right...lol. I am so sick of drilling holes it's not even funny, but I don't have much more work to do now. I have four more small holes to drill and tap (M6) for the tailgate hinges, and a hole in each of the rear stake pockets for the chain/latch assembly to attach, and that's about it. I have to rework the flanges that sit on the wood a little bit, but that's not a big deal. I also have to rework the fender mounting holes to accept the replacement factory-look bolts I got from Mar-K. Last but not least will be to drill new holes in the rear sill. Mar-K only manufactures them to fit the 7 board-6 strip design. If one wants to go with the 5 strip design, new holes must be drilled. Anyway...not a big deal. Oh...and I still have an hours worth of flap wheel work to smooth out my welds.

Great job!

No clamps in mine, no.

I thought about adding some in this new bed I'm building, but I probably won't be hauling anything with it anyway...lol.

Finally throwing in the towel for the day, and my "new" bedsides are finished...well, as finished as they're getting in my garage. Dropping the tail gate off to be blasted tomorrow, and then I'm taking all the pieces to a shop this week to be painted.

So I assembled the bed again (upside down) and mounted the tailgate, tail light brackets, and step brackets. I massaged the mounting flange a bit and then had to square up all of the fender mounting holes, drill a few more, and grind all my welds down. I'm done with these things.

IMG_7412.jpg.38874bee70d0128d3372285579ffb32b.jpg

IMG_7416.jpg.d5f33e6c86539bfeeeca364509f5308a.jpg

Since the bed is upside down here, this is the front left corner that is closest in the picture. Just wanted to give a shout out to Jonathan for sending me that nice step bracket! My original had rusted through and broken off at some point, and had been patched previously.

IMG_7418.jpg.50e76af69a566b5b46f5378a87ac9018.jpg

IMG_7420.jpg.82af5f1ea01ad4572faad6a3971c66db.jpg

I hope to have it on the truck in a week or two...but things have been moving pretty slow...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Finally throwing in the towel for the day, and my "new" bedsides are finished...well, as finished as they're getting in my garage. Dropping the tail gate off to be blasted tomorrow, and then I'm taking all the pieces to a shop this week to be painted.

So I assembled the bed again (upside down) and mounted the tailgate, tail light brackets, and step brackets. I massaged the mounting flange a bit and then had to square up all of the fender mounting holes, drill a few more, and grind all my welds down. I'm done with these things.

Since the bed is upside down here, this is the front left corner that is closest in the picture. Just wanted to give a shout out to Jonathan for sending me that nice step bracket! My original had rusted through and broken off at some point, and had been patched previously.

I hope to have it on the truck in a week or two...but things have been moving pretty slow...:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Nice job Cory.

You know when you get it painted and on the truck it will make the rest look really bad right?

Just giving you a hard time.

Cant wait to see it done and on the truck.

Dave ----

Nice job Cory.

You know when you get it painted and on the truck it will make the rest look really bad right?

Ha! Ain't that the truth Dave!

I've been thinking this all along...I'm spending so much time and money on this bed and it's still just an old beater of a truck...haha. Oh well, I can't complain about being bored!

Nice job Cory.

Ha! Ain't that the truth Dave!

I've been thinking this all along...I'm spending so much time and money on this bed and it's still just an old beater of a truck...haha. Oh well, I can't complain about being bored!

The bed looks wonderful! But you will have to spend a bit of time on the cab and fenders to bring them into the same ballpark as the bed. And, you are really going to be proud of the truck!

• 1 month later...

Wow! Looking good!

That's an understatement :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you know how much paint it took to do that?

Trying to figure how much mine will take but I know mine is like 80% clear and 10% red.

Took most of 2 qt's to do what I have done so far, engine bay less under side of hood and the inside of the cab.

Dave ----

Do you know how much paint it took to do that?

Dave, that's a good question and unfortunately one I cannot answer. I had a shop do these for me. I'm going to assemble the bed and wood floor myself, and then get them to paint the cab later. I had the front sill and all of the bed crossmembers powder coated black at a different shop (they were a freebie that were done by a vendor of mine at work).

The body shop had these things for weeks. Apparently they had a lot of trouble converting the old Ford 3P paint code into a new base/clear mixture. They painted and sanded these things 3 times. They had the paint rep create a new mix for them...I believe Sherwin Williams. In any case, I'm pretty happy with them...they look good. I wanted the factory color and I'm pleased with the appearance.

.......The body shop had these things for weeks. Apparently they had a lot of trouble converting the old Ford 3P paint code into a new base/clear mixture. They painted and sanded these things 3 times. They had the paint rep create a new mix for them...I believe Sherwin Williams. In any case, I'm pretty happy with them...they look good. I wanted the factory color and I'm pleased with the appearance.

Cory, I know a guy who is going to want this special Medium Blue paint code for his blue flareside. :nabble_smiley_wink: Do you think you could get the paint code from them and any other related info a guy might need? Ya know, cause I know a guy who would need it.