Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Good info, guys. But Darin also asked if a 19 gallon tank can be used on a Flareside. Does anyone know?

EDIT: I'm a whole page behind. The question has been answered and more besides. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I am just getting to this now but went thru all the post before I answered it but the answer is it will not fit I tried to fit the 19 gal from the parts truck to my short bed flare side.

Because of the flare side small 16 gal tank is why I installed the parts truck 19 gal rear tank in my flare side :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Why not a Bronco 33 gallon, or the replacement 38 gallon? :nabble_smiley_evil:

How do they fit into the short wheel base trucks?

Short wheelbase style sides came with a 19 gallon rear tank for some applications. It is a direct fit on a flareside except there is no rear fuel door. You have to graft in a piece of a dual rear wheel fender that has a fuel door in it or some other custom fuel filler option. Likewise, a 38 gallon spectra will fit the same way it does on any other F series... you just have to figure out the filler. The Bronco tanks will require a bit of fabrication to mount, but you side step the issue of the sending unit with the 38 gallon which is tricky to get it to read right all the way through the range from E to F. The Bronco’s also have a skid plate available. The stock 19 gallon rear skid plates won’t fit the 38 gallon. The big issue for the flareside is the filler door. Look at FuzzFace2 build thread to see how he did his.

Short wheelbase style sides came with a 19 gallon rear tank for some applications. It is a direct fit on a flareside except there is no rear fuel door. You have to graft in a piece of a dual rear wheel fender that has a fuel door in it or some other custom fuel filler option. Likewise, a 38 gallon spectra will fit the same way it does on any other F series... you just have to figure out the filler. The Bronco tanks will require a bit of fabrication to mount, but you side step the issue of the sending unit with the 38 gallon which is tricky to get it to read right all the way through the range from E to F. The Bronco’s also have a skid plate available. The stock 19 gallon rear skid plates won’t fit the 38 gallon. The big issue for the flareside is the filler door. Look at FuzzFace2 build thread to see how he did his.

This may sound crazy, but what if you switched fenders from side to side? Your fill door would be in the back passenger side.

Jonathan, you are right on the 19 gallon tank and on the grafting the door & filler, I used a front flare side door and filler to work with the rear style side tank.

It is also true of the larger tanks fitting but they hang lower so you have to find a location for the spare tire as it will not fit under the tank.

Because my web site is down my pictures do not show up need to look into this ASAP.

Also know that the wiring for the duel tanks is part of the trucks main dash harness so a swapped that into my truck from the parts truck.

Dave ----

Are they symmetrical?

How can you do multi quotes?

Next time to the garage if I remember I will see if they will swap side to side as they are held on with only 2 nuts each side.

Now if they are symmetrical the filler door is on the wrong side of the tank now.

It is easier to get a flare or duel wheel door and graft it on to the left rear fender.

Besides ever try and fill a truck with a fuel door on each side of the truck and the fuel pumps only reach 1 side?

Dave ----

Are they symmetrical?

Next time to the garage if I remember I will see if they will swap side to side as they are held on with only 2 nuts each side.

Now if they are symmetrical the filler door is on the wrong side of the tank now.

It is easier to get a flare or duel wheel door and graft it on to the left rear fender.

Besides ever try and fill a truck with a fuel door on each side of the truck and the fuel pumps only reach 1 side?

Dave ----

Like some of the older Chevy's?

Are they symmetrical?

Dave ----

Maybe I misunderstood, I was thinking the side tank was getting replaced with a rear one. You could fill both like the old chevys if trying to run both if they are symmetrical fenders and had an extra drivers side one.