Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I've got the NAPA/Echlin TP-40 box in 'Lil Red.

I know it retards.

Well, to throw a wrench into things, it was actually hard starting cold today. Past couple times was only when it was hot, but first start of the day today acted up as well.

I'll try the original DSII box. That's easy.

I'll dial the timing back after that.

Finally, I do have a spare (junkyard) PMGR starter (Reman) I could swap in and try.

Well, to throw a wrench into things, it was actually hard starting cold today. Past couple times was only when it was hot, but first start of the day today acted up as well.

I'll try the original DSII box. That's easy.

I'll dial the timing back after that.

Finally, I do have a spare (junkyard) PMGR starter (Reman) I could swap in and try.

Any chance you have a bad cable or bad ground?

Well they shouldn’t be bad Gary I installed all new cables and all new grounds. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem, but I hadn’t even thought of them. I’m going to try a few things this week since it looks like I’m going to be working from home for a while.

Well they shouldn’t be bad Gary I installed all new cables and all new grounds. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem, but I hadn’t even thought of them. I’m going to try a few things this week since it looks like I’m going to be working from home for a while.

Cory, my engine is different, but it's recurved distributor is set @ 16 degrees BTDC. Before resetting the timing, when the engine resists starting [I assume you mean slow cranking speed], pull the ignition coil wire and then try to crank. If, suddenly, the engine spins faster [normal], then the issue is with the timing.

Cory, my engine is different, but it's recurved distributor is set @ 16 degrees BTDC. Before resetting the timing, when the engine resists starting [I assume you mean slow cranking speed], pull the ignition coil wire and then try to crank. If, suddenly, the engine spins faster [normal], then the issue is with the timing.

Great tip David, thanks. I will do just that.

Great tip David, thanks. I will do just that.

I love the seasoned and well reasoned advice found on this forum! :nabble_anim_claps:

Gold post right there... 🥇

So I haven't really had any time this week to work on the truck...but I did take it for a quick drive yesterday, and planned to do the coil wire test. The darn thing started just fine hot 2 out of 3 times, and the one time it did crank kind of slow it did start relatively quick, so I didn't do the test.

So my question is now, if it is timing related, would the issue be present all the time? Or could it be intermittent?

So I haven't really had any time this week to work on the truck...but I did take it for a quick drive yesterday, and planned to do the coil wire test. The darn thing started just fine hot 2 out of 3 times, and the one time it did crank kind of slow it did start relatively quick, so I didn't do the test.

So my question is now, if it is timing related, would the issue be present all the time? Or could it be intermittent?

I would think it is dependent on temperature [near the starter] or battery health.