Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the grill parts cleaned up. I was less worried about the chrome and more worried about removing the blue paint that was all over everything, but they're not bad. I also hammered out a dent from the upper trim and that even turned out OK. The parts are all still kinda dingy up close, but at a glance they will look fine for this year (and maybe next:nabble_smiley_grin:)

I've been calling this grill black, but it is definitely a charcoal color or dark charcoal, and I'm sure it was never painted, but I have no idea what it was removed from. I bought it from a guy that sells Ford parts...he used to work in a Ford dealer body shop and he took parts home with him for 40 years. I pulled my original grill down on the garage shelf, and it was most definitely painted at some point...it looks like silver paint...

And I forgot to ask about these paper door liners. Any recommendations on what to replace these with? What have you guys done?

The stuff really looks good from this distance, Cory. (Not 2,000 miles, but 10'. :nabble_smiley_wink:) It'll look very good on your truck.

As for the doors, I've used heavy trash bags. But the stiffer you go the less chance there is of it flapping, which could be annoying.

And while I've used the 3M strip caulk, I've also used duct tape. But with it you have to be careful not to get outside of the door panel, so the strip caulk is best.

Really?

Plastic sheeting like you would staple over insulation, or an open window while working.

They use a lot of it in lead & asbestos abatement.

Ok, understood. I've only ever heard it called Vapor Barrier I guess, but now that I think of it I actually have a bunch of it as we bought a few rolls last year to put under some rock gardens.

Thanks guys.

Really?

Plastic sheeting like you would staple over insulation, or an open window while working.

They use a lot of it in lead & asbestos abatement.

Ok, understood. I've only ever heard it called Vapor Barrier I guess, but now that I think of it I actually have a bunch of it as we bought a few rolls last year to put under some rock gardens.

Thanks guys.

That is what the paper was for vapor barrier.

So the picture of the parts is that your "silver" painted grille or the charcoal one?

Looks like the face is a dark silver and the inner parts black like the black parts of the head light doors?

Dave ----

So the picture of the parts is that your "silver" painted grille or the charcoal one?

Looks like the face is a dark silver and the inner parts black like the black parts of the head light doors?

Dave ----

Just the glare from the lighting. That is the charcoal grill. I have been calling it black, it is isn't really...

Dave ----

Just the glare from the lighting. That is the charcoal grill. I have been calling it black, it is isn't really...

Stopped by the body shop yesterday to see my truck. They cut both cab corners off, and a little work is required behind them...nothing too serious though. The guys are being really good though, and I like that. They're blasting the old rust away and using rust converter where they can.

They're going to weld in a new piece just forward of the driver's side cab corner....that curved part that comes down to sit on top of the rocker is a bit crispy. The rockers appear to be pretty good over all. Also need a new piece welded in behind the bottom of the left front fender...the boxed in section directly above where the bottom fender bolt bracket is...there's a few small holes there.

Anyway, they are planning to have all of the new steel welded in by the end of the day on Monday, and then it will be getting to the body work on Tuesday. The new panels are already all painted on the inside and edged, so that's going to look nice in the engine bay and around the doors.

This truck is going to be way too pretty for me when it's done.

Question though for the BTDT crowd...

I bought a Fairchild complete door and window seal kit...

IMG_8305.jpg.5939d8ef51e408224d3f21039cb78175.jpg

Do I need any special adhesives or double sided tape or anything for this stuff? Do the door seals just slip on over that lip in the cab or are they supposed to be glued? Any procedural tips and tricks here fellas?

What about the inner window seal/gasket that is stapled to the door panel?...How to I stick a new one on there?

Anything else I need to know about installing this kit? Tips and tricks?

Stopped by the body shop yesterday to see my truck. They cut both cab corners off, and a little work is required behind them...nothing too serious though. The guys are being really good though, and I like that. They're blasting the old rust away and using rust converter where they can.

They're going to weld in a new piece just forward of the driver's side cab corner....that curved part that comes down to sit on top of the rocker is a bit crispy. The rockers appear to be pretty good over all. Also need a new piece welded in behind the bottom of the left front fender...the boxed in section directly above where the bottom fender bolt bracket is...there's a few small holes there.

Anyway, they are planning to have all of the new steel welded in by the end of the day on Monday, and then it will be getting to the body work on Tuesday. The new panels are already all painted on the inside and edged, so that's going to look nice in the engine bay and around the doors.

This truck is going to be way too pretty for me when it's done.

Question though for the BTDT crowd...

I bought a Fairchild complete door and window seal kit...

Do I need any special adhesives or double sided tape or anything for this stuff? Do the door seals just slip on over that lip in the cab or are they supposed to be glued? Any procedural tips and tricks here fellas?

What about the inner window seal/gasket that is stapled to the door panel?...How to I stick a new one on there?

Anything else I need to know about installing this kit? Tips and tricks?

Sounds like they are doing you a good job. That's great, and the truck will be a stunner.

If I remember correctly, the only adhesive needed for the door seals is for the extra one on the top of the door, and they usually come with adhesive tape on them.

As for the piece that goes on the door panel, do not staple them. That is likely to break the door panel. DAHIK. Instead, use small pop rivets.

And let us know what you think of that brand of seals. I've not heard of it.

If I remember correctly, the only adhesive needed for the door seals is for the extra one on the top of the door, and they usually come with adhesive tape on them.

As for the piece that goes on the door panel, do not staple them. That is likely to break the door panel. DAHIK. Instead, use small pop rivets.

Thanks for the info on the rivets Gary, that's great. I have some 1/8" rivets on hand.

The seal kit is this one listed below...and I got the part number right here on the Garagemahal. There were a couple other members that installed it with good reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairchild-Industries-Belt-Weatherstrip-Window-Channel-Door-Seal-Kit-KF1006-13/223328872772?fits=Year%3A1980%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&epid=251046394&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item33ff702944:g:eZsAAOSwbjNcP6vQ&enc=AQAEAAAB8BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWXbER2eXBJ0OPsPalk%2FNvOLZMye9%2FjL%2BUDzdJnDGcZNz7bcFavP5PIJm0SMHJ3pmnfDmTvgxOmHKjPbrrY0r6vKTJ90PKKACso2iUeBCI9jxQODuRkAXgs54h1ecq1gJs2Yywl%2FfkUXgmls58f4CbuJfXKZu7YXxXgzuWeboRRiyfeZjPSFV65yLa5dvzyPFJImtdVN6eHct5%2BtDWhHUdjuLoys82BvgRb2f%2BVZRjMQtAwqXmI7uEwUshDcLdaPDhz397NflAPS%2Fho4UUM5YLqDBJjrA7kd2UHB0Z0JYNL0Obzcm1Vc2eQZk5BLkGn1ti395KTT2fSYq%2FnTFTOxNUxGj%2BNWrYVwA5Y67DJ7gKBWi8nrHWA1Jz%2BilQ8uEa1Z07Zudp2cdkxBBDElpXWy4f2%2F%2Bq%2FogKSqr1N%2B3D5xfntv%2FWmXuuYkw6nwIyY5xwaFpbWJFIGVoQgW4OFR3%2FVcQuQrCG8ZPr7kaa8yLfhLfHZ7JvfIVRjs3fNULqyDLMEMie6MXCp4pELmOZDwPBnU9AXDnpMEj5vxv%2B6fctCA2oxY3Mlv18Lml6OiWE97YrACg2ZPJ7THES%2Fgxh2%2B8UXRGFtICVoLD%2FWoFIK%2Bcdxgud6hgK1vmo7%2BIsHVymhT33w0Gs%3D&checksum=2233288727720f737415accb4f2caa60026d5abf69ed

Thanks for the info on the rivets Gary, that's great. I have some 1/8" rivets on hand.

The seal kit is this one listed below...and I got the part number right here on the Garagemahal. There were a couple other members that installed it with good reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fairchild-Industries-Belt-Weatherstrip-Window-Channel-Door-Seal-Kit-KF1006-13/223328872772?fits=Year%3A1980%7CModel%3AF-150%7CMake%3AFord&epid=251046394&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item33ff702944:g:eZsAAOSwbjNcP6vQ&enc=AQAEAAAB8BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWXbER2eXBJ0OPsPalk%2FNvOLZMye9%2FjL%2BUDzdJnDGcZNz7bcFavP5PIJm0SMHJ3pmnfDmTvgxOmHKjPbrrY0r6vKTJ90PKKACso2iUeBCI9jxQODuRkAXgs54h1ecq1gJs2Yywl%2FfkUXgmls58f4CbuJfXKZu7YXxXgzuWeboRRiyfeZjPSFV65yLa5dvzyPFJImtdVN6eHct5%2BtDWhHUdjuLoys82BvgRb2f%2BVZRjMQtAwqXmI7uEwUshDcLdaPDhz397NflAPS%2Fho4UUM5YLqDBJjrA7kd2UHB0Z0JYNL0Obzcm1Vc2eQZk5BLkGn1ti395KTT2fSYq%2FnTFTOxNUxGj%2BNWrYVwA5Y67DJ7gKBWi8nrHWA1Jz%2BilQ8uEa1Z07Zudp2cdkxBBDElpXWy4f2%2F%2Bq%2FogKSqr1N%2B3D5xfntv%2FWmXuuYkw6nwIyY5xwaFpbWJFIGVoQgW4OFR3%2FVcQuQrCG8ZPr7kaa8yLfhLfHZ7JvfIVRjs3fNULqyDLMEMie6MXCp4pELmOZDwPBnU9AXDnpMEj5vxv%2B6fctCA2oxY3Mlv18Lml6OiWE97YrACg2ZPJ7THES%2Fgxh2%2B8UXRGFtICVoLD%2FWoFIK%2Bcdxgud6hgK1vmo7%2BIsHVymhT33w0Gs%3D&checksum=2233288727720f737415accb4f2caa60026d5abf69ed

Guess I forgot. :nabble_smiley_blush: