Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Those things look really good. And I can't see the angle on the hinge of which you type. Which way do they angle?

You can see it in these pics. One pic makes the angle look more pronounced than it is...but it's bad enough it won't work. The problem is that the stake pockets I welded on were not bent 100% perfectly on that back side. You can't tell unless you know it's there...but it is obviously causing a problem with the hinge mounting. I think I'll get the mounting flanges machined on a bit of an angle to even them back out. I'll have the spare set done first and see how it works out.

IMG_7849.jpg.3ea3fe0f53bbe6a714344fdd257120f6.jpg

IMG_7852.jpg.3327e3f39d066cd3e30bc46c7a296838.jpg

Those things look really good. And I can't see the angle on the hinge of which you type. Which way do they angle?

You can see it in these pics. One pic makes the angle look more pronounced than it is...but it's bad enough it won't work. The problem is that the stake pockets I welded on were not bent 100% perfectly on that back side. You can't tell unless you know it's there...but it is obviously causing a problem with the hinge mounting. I think I'll get the mounting flanges machined on a bit of an angle to even them back out. I'll have the spare set done first and see how it works out.

I see, said the blind man. Any chance that you can bolt one down to something and bend it by placing a rod in it for leverage?

What he said but is the gate side pointing to the rear sill panel?

If so can you make a wedge spacer to put between the hinge & pocket base?

I had to make spacers for both sides in that same place to space the gate away from the sill as it hit it when opening & closing. I used the same fender spacer floor tile traced the hinge on it and cut & drilled holes and works great.

The chains came out looking good as new. I don't have access to a blaster so I just painted them silver.

I used bike tire tube over the chains with a drain hole at the bottom.

BTW truck is looking good

Dave ----

I see, said the blind man. Any chance that you can bolt one down to something and bend it by placing a rod in it for leverage?

That's not a bad idea either Gary...I was trying to think of a way to bend the mounting ears, but your suggestion might just do the trick. I can mount the hinge(s) to a bench at work and then use a bar or a piece of pipe to bend them...or at least attempt to.

Dave,

I thought of doing angled shims to correct them, but the only problem with that is that it would push the bottom of the gate out a little bit. It might be OK, I'm not sure. I'm going to try bending them first...if that doesn't work I'll machine them, and if that doesn't work I'll shim them;).

Thanks Gentlemen!

That's not a bad idea either Gary...I was trying to think of a way to bend the mounting ears, but your suggestion might just do the trick. I can mount the hinge(s) to a bench at work and then use a bar or a piece of pipe to bend them...or at least attempt to.

Dave,

I thought of doing angled shims to correct them, but the only problem with that is that it would push the bottom of the gate out a little bit. It might be OK, I'm not sure. I'm going to try bending them first...if that doesn't work I'll machine them, and if that doesn't work I'll shim them;).

Thanks Gentlemen!

Take a measurement of how far the "nose" of the hinge needs to move to be parallel, mount it up to the bench, measure what space you have there, and then bend it to the right distance.

Dave,

Thanks Gentlemen!

More Flareside rebuilding adventures this morning while...er...I mean before work!:nabble_smiley_whistling:

For those not familiar with them, the Flareside fiberglass fenders have metal brackets at the front and rear of the fender, and they are notorious for rusting away...at least up here. All four of them on my 1984 were completely disintegrated and rusted away. They were bad enough that somebody had put some extra screws right through the fenders to keep them from flapping around.

Anyway, I had planned to use the brackets from a spare set of fenders I had, but after removing the brackets I found that three of the four were rusted out and were beyond use. Of the one that I was left, I used it as a template to make all new ones out of stainless.

Interesting to note...they look like they're 90 degree bends, but they're not...they're tighter...more like 85 degrees.

IMG_7856.jpg.2649121cfa727fb2f1c762d3ec347871.jpg

IMG_7859.jpg.ae006fb3effc9dd4f12177e48e36b5c1.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg.e33137dfc0fd256f89d3f67f887147d6.jpg

IMG_7861.jpg.6032c8bbfdc3ac46efddb1522aecf154.jpg

Got the new brackets all installed and dropped the fenders and steps off for paint this morning. When they actually get around to painting them is another story, but hopefully it will be quick;).

Anyway, they should be good now for another 35 years and many more on top of that!!:nabble_smiley_good:

Stupid rust.

More Flareside rebuilding adventures this morning while...er...I mean before work!:nabble_smiley_whistling:

For those not familiar with them, the Flareside fiberglass fenders have metal brackets at the front and rear of the fender, and they are notorious for rusting away...at least up here. All four of them on my 1984 were completely disintegrated and rusted away. They were bad enough that somebody had put some extra screws right through the fenders to keep them from flapping around.

Anyway, I had planned to use the brackets from a spare set of fenders I had, but after removing the brackets I found that three of the four were rusted out and were beyond use. Of the one that I was left, I used it as a template to make all new ones out of stainless.

Interesting to note...they look like they're 90 degree bends, but they're not...they're tighter...more like 85 degrees.

Got the new brackets all installed and dropped the fenders and steps off for paint this morning. When they actually get around to painting them is another story, but hopefully it will be quick;).

Anyway, they should be good now for another 35 years and many more on top of that!!:nabble_smiley_good:

Stupid rust.

Hmmmm? You could produce these for resale! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Ha...yes, I suppose so! Somebody was looking for assistance with these a while back I think on FTE. He was complaining about his fenders flapping loose on the bed sides. They're pretty simple pieces, and not worth much unfortunately.

Ha...yes, I suppose so! Somebody was looking for assistance with these a while back I think on FTE. He was complaining about his fenders flapping loose on the bed sides. They're pretty simple pieces, and not worth much unfortunately.

Nice. Cory, as usual, is inspiring me. However, I cant seem to catch a break to capitalize on the inspiration.

I wonder if my brackets are rusted out. Fenders seem solid to me. I will have to check.