Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I would STRONGLY suggest painting all those parts with Master Series Silver. It is a moisture cured primer, that is fantastic. It can go over clean new metal as well as rusty metal. It will take any topcoat your choose. I have been using Master Series for 20 years now in restorations. I have not been let down.

Pete, is this paint a sealer? As in does it require an immediate top coat or can you use it and leave it until you are ready for paint?

It is fine until you want to paint it. If I wait, I just scuff it a bit.

I would STRONGLY suggest painting all those parts with Master Series Silver. It is a moisture cured primer, that is fantastic. It can go over clean new metal as well as rusty metal. It will take any topcoat your choose. I have been using Master Series for 20 years now in restorations. I have not been let down.

Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look around and see if I can get this stuff locally. The problem we often run into up here is product availability. Most of the time, we don't get all of the brands of products that are readily available in the US.

We use a contractor through my work that does industrial coatings, and he recommended Intershield 300:

https://www.international-marine.com/product/intershield-300

This is the stuff they use on ship hulls and decks. Not sure if I'll even get to paint this weekend, but I'll see if I can get the Master Silver product.

Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look around and see if I can get this stuff locally. The problem we often run into up here is product availability. Most of the time, we don't get all of the brands of products that are readily available in the US.

We use a contractor through my work that does industrial coatings, and he recommended Intershield 300:

https://www.international-marine.com/product/intershield-300

This is the stuff they use on ship hulls and decks. Not sure if I'll even get to paint this weekend, but I'll see if I can get the Master Silver product.

I don't think you'll find it locally. Although I have no idea what is up there :) But it's a mail order thing.

I don't think you'll find it locally. Although I have no idea what is up there :) But it's a mail order thing.

And that's an issue in and of itself. Most places will not ship anything like that across the border. I ended up painting it today with a heavy duty rust paint. I would have liked to use the product you suggested, but something has come up in the shop at work, and I need to move my truck quicker than I had planned to.

After hours of grinding and sanding on Saturday, I did the Ospho treatment last night. You can see how it turns kind of white when applied.

IMG_6174.jpg.c12189f12d231e81e4e6890526e14921.jpg

I primed it early this morning...

IMG_6177.jpg.db24d76cd6f27db6b1076908252db47a.jpg

And then painted this afternoon:

IMG_6184.jpg.c97f2bde3b4316fcc209697263aac15f.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg.ba2f8b1651b6681cbf4960b847d2df1a.jpg

Hopefully I can get the leaf springs mounted this week, and the rear-end back under it. I'm going to have it flat-decked to my home garage where I can take my time working on replacing all of the brake lines and fuel line, etc. Going to pull the rear end apart as well...and do wheel bearings and seals at the least.

Next big step will be to finish disassembling the Flareside box, and see what needs to be done with all of that stuff once it's all laid out on the floor;).

And that's an issue in and of itself. Most places will not ship anything like that across the border. I ended up painting it today with a heavy duty rust paint. I would have liked to use the product you suggested, but something has come up in the shop at work, and I need to move my truck quicker than I had planned to.

After hours of grinding and sanding on Saturday, I did the Ospho treatment last night. You can see how it turns kind of white when applied.

Hopefully I can get the leaf springs mounted this week, and the rear-end back under it. I'm going to have it flat-decked to my home garage where I can take my time working on replacing all of the brake lines and fuel line, etc. Going to pull the rear end apart as well...and do wheel bearings and seals at the least.

Next big step will be to finish disassembling the Flareside box, and see what needs to be done with all of that stuff once it's all laid out on the floor;).

Interesting to note...and this is a common issue around here, but my new gas tank showed up a couple days ago, with a "Made in Canada" sticker. Funny part is, it was shipped from a warehouse in Phoenix AZ. The price was just a hair under $100 CDN, and it cost $60 to ship. The exact same tank was in-stock here in town, same brand, same part number, etc and sell price was $215 CDN.

IMG_6157.jpg.8a20279f41f47e7961e4066e1f1995e1.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg.92837ad5eface0f5d22baec6e0172eb6.jpg

I do try to support the local shops when I can, but sometimes stuff is just cheaper online. It just rots me to no end that I can buy something that was manufactured HERE for a much cheaper price in the US thousands of miles away.

Oddly, my oil pan was also a Spectra brand, made here in Canada, and it was cheaper locally. I believe it was the same price as in the US, but obviously I didn't have to pay shipping.

Sure looks good! The Ospho treatment gives a good "tooth" for the primer to grab, so that should make a very good paint job. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sure looks good! The Ospho treatment gives a good "tooth" for the primer to grab, so that should make a very good paint job. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hey Gary,

I have only one clamp currently on my rear leaf springs (front of drivers side spring pack). There was also one on the front of the passenger spring pack, but it was rusted and broke off. Is there supposed to be four? Meaning, two per spring pack? One in the front and one in the back?

IMG_6173.jpg.f1c50456f140cca8b4af4046a1ac85f4.jpg

Is there supposed to be four? Meaning, two per spring pack? One in the front and one in the back?
It only takes 2 points to determine a line (or alignment), so generally just 1 clamp. The pack bolt & U-bolts are the 2nd point holding all the leaves in-line. The only reason for any clamp is so the leaves don't pick up things you drive over.

This caption explains some about the clamp:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/576475/thumbnail/leafspringclip.jpg

Hey Gary,

I have only one clamp currently on my rear leaf springs (front of drivers side spring pack). There was also one on the front of the passenger spring pack, but it was rusted and broke off. Is there supposed to be four? Meaning, two per spring pack? One in the front and one in the back?

Cory - There was only one clamp per spring on Dad's truck's springs. Here's a pic where you can see the clamp on the front of each spring:

DSCN9514.thumb.jpg.2b32f76e8fe491f79ab7bed8023a1a6c.jpg

Is there supposed to be four? Meaning, two per spring pack? One in the front and one in the back?
It only takes 2 points to determine a line (or alignment), so generally just 1 clamp. The pack bolt & U-bolts are the 2nd point holding all the leaves in-line. The only reason for any clamp is so the leaves don't pick up things you drive over.

This caption explains some about the clamp:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/576475/thumbnail/leafspringclip.jpg

Nice job on the frame I remember doing the same to mine not long ago.

I did use the acid but not the primer before painting.

How did you do the painting brush or spray?

I used a spray gun on mine.

I will have to check the springs on my truck and the ones from the parts truck to see on them clamps as I dont remember.

I would say only on the front as they would also act as a poor mans traction bar if clamped tight.

Dave ----

edit: I just did a quick look thru my pictures and it looks like just the front.

I did not have 1 good picture showing this but a few different ones to see this.