Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

But everything will work better if you replace them (& all the other rubber on the truck) with black Energy poly.

I got the spring and shackle bushings all removed this morning. I've been looking at the Energy Suspension kits, and there are three versions for the F150.

4.2114G

"w/Common frame shackle bushings"

4.2122G

"w/Plastic frame shackle bushings"

4.2140G

"w/Molded in frame shackle bushings"

I thought my original rearward bushings were rubber until I got them cleaned off and removed. They are a hard white plastic. See below:

IMG_6057.jpg.32a29125bf6053a063385a00334cdc2b.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg.4bef09bbe772dc53fb967e976bad4581.jpg

The front leaf bushings are the typical metal sleeved ones, but the rear leaf and shackles are these hard white plastic.

I assume this means I'd need the Poly kit 4.2122G for plastic frame shackle bushings (if I decide to go with Poly).

But everything will work better if you replace them (& all the other rubber on the truck) with black Energy poly.

I got the spring and shackle bushings all removed this morning. I've been looking at the Energy Suspension kits, and there are three versions for the F150.

4.2114G

4.2122G

4.2140G

I thought my original rearward bushings were rubber until I got them cleaned off and removed. They are a hard white plastic. See below:

The front leaf bushings are the typical metal sleeved ones, but the rear leaf and shackles are these hard white plastic.

I assume this means I'd need the Poly kit 4.2122G for plastic frame shackle bushings (if I decide to go with Poly).

Some of those kits from energy suspension need the outer steel shell left in the spring and you just use the new bush and centre pin with the horrible sticking lube.

4.2114G

4.2122G

4.2140G

Darin/Oz is right, some of those kits expect you to use the existing metal shell. But since yours is plastic that must be why they now have a kit for the plastic ones.

And, I think you'll want the poly bushings rather than rubber. But get them in black, and use lots of their lube.

Darin/Oz is right, some of those kits expect you to use the existing metal shell. But since yours is plastic that must be why they now have a kit for the plastic ones.

And, I think you'll want the poly bushings rather than rubber. But get them in black, and use lots of their lube.

Well, I might end up with rubber just for the simple fact that I was planning on buying new hangers and shackles, and it looks like they come with the "common" style bushings. I'm hoping to get it all sorted out today so I can get some parts on order.

Well, I might end up with rubber just for the simple fact that I was planning on buying new hangers and shackles, and it looks like they come with the "common" style bushings. I'm hoping to get it all sorted out today so I can get some parts on order.

That snow ball is rolling along pretty good :nabble_smiley_good:

Keep up the good work.

Dave ----

That snow ball is rolling along pretty good :nabble_smiley_good:

Keep up the good work.

Dave ----

So I ordered a whole bunch of parts today...we'll call them early Christmas presents for Rembrant.

I'm sure I'll disappoint a few folks here, but I did not go with the Poly bushings (for a couple reasons)

I ordered these Dorman complete kits for the front and rear mounts:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46308-722-100.aspx

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28824-722-002.aspx

Also ordered a new fuel tank, fuel tank sender, new straps, new cap, and of course a new RedHead steering box.

So, now I have to drill out some more rivets in the frame, and get grinding and painting in preparation for the new parts.

So I ordered a whole bunch of parts today...we'll call them early Christmas presents for Rembrant.

I'm sure I'll disappoint a few folks here, but I did not go with the Poly bushings (for a couple reasons)

I ordered these Dorman complete kits for the front and rear mounts:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-46308-722-100.aspx

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28824-722-002.aspx

Also ordered a new fuel tank, fuel tank sender, new straps, new cap, and of course a new RedHead steering box.

So, now I have to drill out some more rivets in the frame, and get grinding and painting in preparation for the new parts.

No disappointment on my part. I think the truck will ride better on the rubber bushings. I've wondered about using them on Big Blue since he rides so poorly, but I think the real problem is the rear springs.

Anyway, you have a lot of work to do! Have fun, but I'm sure it will be. :nabble_smiley_good:

No disappointment on my part. I think the truck will ride better on the rubber bushings. I've wondered about using them on Big Blue since he rides so poorly, but I think the real problem is the rear springs.

Anyway, you have a lot of work to do! Have fun, but I'm sure it will be. :nabble_smiley_good:

The bushings don't bear the weight of the truck, so it doesn't "ride" on them - it rides on the springs, so the bushing material doesn't affect ride smoothness. It DOES affect handling, though. Poly gives much-better handling.

Your truck will ride better if you spread the rear leaves, clean, & grease them (or paint them with graphite).

It DOES affect handling, though. Poly gives much-better handling.

Gotcha. In my case, the truck handles fine...well, it could handle better, but it's current limitations are the sloppy reman steering box and the lack of swaybars. I currently can't drive it to the point where I'd be taxing the leaf spring bushings. With a new RedHead steering box this winter, and newly installed front and rear swaybars, and all new suspension bushings throughout the whole truck, it will be miles ahead of where it is now. I have no intention of carving corners with this thing anyway...it's just meant to be a summer weekend cruiser.