Bullnose Forums

White/fogged windshield - reusable?

delco1946

Here in Portland we've had our first week of heavy rain (winter started early!). I noticed water leaked creating a wet spot approx under the brake pedal. I assume this is a result of a leaky windshield (anything leaking from the cowl should have just soaked the insulation material i think). I've been wanting to fix my windshield so this may be the kick in the butt i need. Question is, my truck has weird white/fogged areas on the drivers and passengers (short, vertical) sides of the glass. Why is this? i don't have any cracks, so if this could be scrubbed/polished off, I could reuse the glass and save the headache of finding another windshield.

Has anyone dealt with this? It would be nice to know if it is fixable and save the time trolling a JY for good glass (I read up on the problems associated with aftermarket glass), OR if its not fixable i would hate to realize this after i've removed the windshield and have to tarp it while praying that i find a decent windshield (no garage).

Thanks - Christopher

The white is usually from de-lamination. All glass in a vehicle has to be safety glass, which is two layers of glass with a layer of plastic film between them. That means that if the glass breaks it is held together by the plastic. But, sometimes the two pieces separate and that causes the white you are seeing.

Show us a pic?

The white is usually from de-lamination. All glass in a vehicle has to be safety glass, which is two layers of glass with a layer of plastic film between them. That means that if the glass breaks it is held together by the plastic. But, sometimes the two pieces separate and that causes the white you are seeing.

Show us a pic?

This happened to the original windshield in my 86 cab. The windshield was junk because as Gary said, the two halves were coming apart.

This happened to the original windshield in my 86 cab. The windshield was junk because as Gary said, the two halves were coming apart.

And has been pointed out when you get the new glass check where the VIN shows thru as the new glass made for the newer trucks has the VIN in a different area and cant be seen thru the glass.

So make sure they check this before they install it and install the right one.

Dave ----

And has been pointed out when you get the new glass check where the VIN shows thru as the new glass made for the newer trucks has the VIN in a different area and cant be seen thru the glass.

So make sure they check this before they install it and install the right one.

Dave ----

1687F50C-B740-45E3-B335-20E12E604BB3.jpeg.9c8902217d1924cd10fd3afd2ea305cc.jpeg

Bad picture but you can sorta see the fogged part in the corner. Sounds like I’ll be searching the junkyards for a new old w/s. Thanks for the advice

Mine was fogged around the whole perimeter of the windshield, as an example of what "worse" is.

Also, it didn't come out in one piece. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Oh no! Well I hope I don’t have to experience that. It’s its other spots around the windshield but I’m admittedly trying to go closer to the restoration route, so that coupled with a potential leak and I’m thinking I should just replace it. Especially since we’re entering the rainy season.

Oh no! Well I hope I don’t have to experience that. It’s its other spots around the windshield but I’m admittedly trying to go closer to the restoration route, so that coupled with a potential leak and I’m thinking I should just replace it. Especially since we’re entering the rainy season.

Peace of mind is a great thing, I would replace it as well.