Bullnose Forums

Tranny shop said ZF chatter can be eliminated with Dual mass Flywheel..

reamer

Do like I said and throw it in neutral while coasting at highway speed.

You'll know right away if it is rollover rattle or coming from the rear (or maybe even the transfer case)

At any rate, you'll have a much better understanding of the noise that bothers you so much.

Thanks Jim

Actually the T-case is at Terry's right now being inspected, re-sealed.. Most of the leaks in the drivetrain is from the T-case.

May do what you suggested and go with a heavier fluid, since it's not a winter driver. any suggestions on fluid?

Thanks Jim

Actually the T-case is at Terry's right now being inspected, re-sealed.. Most of the leaks in the drivetrain is from the T-case.

May do what you suggested and go with a heavier fluid, since it's not a winter driver. any suggestions on fluid?

I don't have the link anymore since ZF changed their website.

If you find the zf5 s42 troubleshooting manual on their site they have a huge range of fluids.

Everything from light mineral oils and ATF up through full body gear oil.

If you find the zf5 s42 troubleshooting manual on their site they have a huge range of fluids.

Will do!

ZF_Chart_1.jpg.34c55a46917853b096b4d93f4494b308.jpg

ZF_chart_2.jpg.d25918d42004e909c3fdcdb7bd1a8a2a.jpg

We have several ZF manuals on the site: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5. Might that info be in there?

Ron,

That list of 01/19 is certainly much more current that the list I had bookmarked. :nabble_smiley_good:

Obviously Mercon V is the current Ford fill.

Iirc my fill plug was tagged 'type H'

But as a summertime driver SAE 75-80 shouldn't drag the synchro's too badly.

When I had my ZF, 1988 F250, 7.3, I tried a few fluids. Amsoil ATF worked the best. Good shifting hot and cold.

I’m not an Amsoil dealer or big fan, but I have had good success with their ATF. Really helped our Suburban, it would “hunt” between lock up and third and OD.

When I had my ZF, 1988 F250, 7.3, I tried a few fluids. Amsoil ATF worked the best. Good shifting hot and cold.

I’m not an Amsoil dealer or big fan, but I have had good success with their ATF. Really helped our Suburban, it would “hunt” between lock up and third and OD.

Dane, I would say the same about Royal Purple Synchromax.

When I first got my Zf-5 it had been sitting outside for years.

Because I had a crisis when I blew the input off my T-19 it went into service without opening it up.

I drained and filled what I can only call 'strawberry milkshake' a few times and ordered the RP from Amazon.

I will say it shifted better with the $$ gear oil, but I can't say if it was any quieter.

I know my gearbox is old and tired.

It has the common rattle at idle in neutral and the pocket bearing if I lug it when hot.

Anyway, like you I'm not shilling, just a satisfied customer.