Bullnose Forums

Removing brushguard welded to frame

Kevin

Cory, I've never used a Walter disc.

Must be a Canadian thing?

What brands are you looking at, and what features?

Paddle or top switch?

Locking or not?

Rear handle?

Considering how well my existing Bosch grinder has lasted, I may just buy another one for familiarity sake. I wouldn't have believed it, but Bosch actually still makes the exact same unit. It's short and light which makes it easy to hold with one hand, and has a thumb trigger that locks.

The one I currently have was dropped out of a scissor lift 20 years ago. The case on it was cracked so the boss cut the cord and chucked it in the garbage. I dug it out of the garbage and bought a new case cover and cord for it. That would have been in the late 1990's, and I still use the thing on a weekly basis.

Cory, I've never used a Walter disc.

Must be a Canadian thing?

What brands are you looking at, and what features?

Paddle or top switch?

Locking or not?

Rear handle?

Considering how well my existing Bosch grinder has lasted, I may just buy another one for familiarity sake. I wouldn't have believed it, but Bosch actually still makes the exact same unit. It's short and light which makes it easy to hold with one hand, and has a thumb trigger that locks.

The one I currently have was dropped out of a scissor lift 20 years ago. The case on it was cracked so the boss cut the cord and chucked it in the garbage. I dug it out of the garbage and bought a new case cover and cord for it. That would have been in the late 1990's, and I still use the thing on a weekly basis.

I use all flat cut off discs. Flipping the nut is easy and I have been doing it professionally for more years than I can attest to. No problem what so ever.

I use all flat cut off discs. Flipping the nut is easy and I have been doing it professionally for more years than I can attest to. No problem what so ever.

Thanks, everyone, for all the input! I completed cutting the brush guard off today and managed to work around it without cutting it to pieces. Here is the after shot. I need to work on grinding down the remaining weld.

brushguard_gone.jpg.ccdb399b42d98dfe7b089cd82e8cf810.jpg

Jim asked about the new bumper. I like the original chrome bumpers. I picked a nice straight one off this rig last weekend in the Navajo Nation. (The truck is already an adventure.)

Dilkon_86_F150.jpg.2459c11d1c7f5b9cd7c440f80497b2a1.jpg

chrome_f_bumper_stamp.jpg.5969afd44f7cf329da9283d3de57fb8a.jpg

Jim, not sure about brackets (?). I do need fasteners. I think there is reference material here on the forum. Where is the best place to buy?

Thanks, everyone, for all the input! I completed cutting the brush guard off today and managed to work around it without cutting it to pieces. Here is the after shot. I need to work on grinding down the remaining weld.

Jim asked about the new bumper. I like the original chrome bumpers. I picked a nice straight one off this rig last weekend in the Navajo Nation. (The truck is already an adventure.)

Jim, not sure about brackets (?). I do need fasteners. I think there is reference material here on the forum. Where is the best place to buy?

That short box would be worth some money if it is a straight as it looks.

I bought new bumper bolts from LMC if that is what you’re referring to about the fasteners?

The reference material is at Documentation/Exterior/Bumpers. And, as you can see in the illustration there, all you need are the bolts. The front bumper bolts directly to the frame.

And it looks like you did a good job of cutting the brush guard off. Won't take much to clean that up. :nabble_smiley_good:

The reference material is at Documentation/Exterior/Bumpers. And, as you can see in the illustration there, all you need are the bolts. The front bumper bolts directly to the frame.

And it looks like you did a good job of cutting the brush guard off. Won't take much to clean that up. :nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_blush:. I can't tell you how many times I have to step back because I think of my Bricknose while here on this forum....

When I replaced mine I had a devil of a time getting some of those chrome capped bolts out, so I just got some stainless carriage bolts at the hardware and buffed them on a bench grinder.

:nabble_smiley_blush:. I can't tell you how many times I have to step back because I think of my Bricknose while here on this forum....

When I replaced mine I had a devil of a time getting some of those chrome capped bolts out, so I just got some stainless carriage bolts at the hardware and buffed them on a bench grinder.

When I pulled the bumper from my 86, I found that the square portion of the carriage bolt was half the size of the holes in the bumper, so all of the carriage bolts just spun when I put a ratchet on the nuts. I'm assuming they were hardware store versions because they looked much smaller than what I remember having on my F150. Had to cut all of them off in order to get the bumper off. :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Unless you can find the correct size carriage bolts locally, I would grab the ones from LMC.

When I pulled the bumper from my 86, I found that the square portion of the carriage bolt was half the size of the holes in the bumper, so all of the carriage bolts just spun when I put a ratchet on the nuts. I'm assuming they were hardware store versions because they looked much smaller than what I remember having on my F150. Had to cut all of them off in order to get the bumper off. :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Unless you can find the correct size carriage bolts locally, I would grab the ones from LMC.

Yes the Ford bolts have some weird size square. But I have a MIG welder and a square file for a broach.

Just glomming up two cornees of the hole is enough.

The ones on my bumper are more like a rectangle than a square. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I had the same issue as described with the bolts when pulling off the 86 bumper. I managed to get the bolts loose but then they would just turn. I used pliers to get a bite on one of the chrome caps to get that bolt out, but of course it marked up that cap big time. For the other three, I had to cut them. It seems if I had a thin open-ended wrench (the kind of thing that might come with new furniture that needs to be assembled) I could have grabbed that square portion of the bolt from in front of the bumper. Anyway, hence the need for new bolts (fasteners). I will check out LMC.