Bullnose Forums

Removing brushguard welded to frame

Kevin

Although some may like the brushguard below, I am in interested in returning my truck to a more stock look.

1985-Ford-F-150_3.jpg.1ce110dc5a618aa797874cc46bbf8d8d.jpg

Unfortunately, this thing has been welded directly to the frame.

brushguard_1.jpg.290ad696de41f531f57b549b67a57b2a.jpg

brushguard_2.jpg.d837e0ebac5cc6d9b60e5b41595e14bc.jpg

My thought is to use an angle grinder to cut and grind preserving as much of the integrity of the frame as I can. Does anyone have concerns about that approach? Any recommendations?

This is easy. You can use an angle grinder, but put a cut off wheel in it. 4", 1/16" thick. This is a very common size. Then cut through the weld. You can probably get 90% or more cut, then a BFH will remove the guard completely. Then use a grinding wheel in the angle grinder to clean it up. Once you get close, switch to a flap disc in the angle grinder and make it pretty. I do stuff like this a lot . .this is an easy one :)

100% on the cutoff disc.

4 1/2" with a depressed center.

Don't even screw around with the flat ones.

You'll need to install the retaining nut upside down on the grinder shaft in order to grab an .045 or .065 disc.

Take off the guard and wear hand and face protection.

Do not put your face in the same plane as the cut.

Keep the disc square in the cut, and if you feel it binding pull the tool back towards you.

Support the brush guard somehow.

Maybe open the hood and use a ratcheting tie down.

If you're not looking to make the underside a showpiece just take a 60 grit flap wheel and smooth any sharp edges left behind.

Offer that thing on CL or something!

It looks great for around the farm or ranch.

100% on the cutoff disc.

Ha! All I buy are the flat ones. I can't stand the ones with the depressed center. I use 5" x 3/64" with 7/8" hole. I use zip cut disks so often I'd be lost without them. When you live in the land of rust, you become a real craftsman with an angle grinder and a zip cut disk...lol. While everybody is off discussing the best penetrating oil and trying to figure out what socket to use on a rusted hex head, I've already cut it off and hammered it out...lol.

My tip for using zip cuts is to not put too much pressure on them. You barely need more than the weight of the angle grinder to make a cut. If you press on them too much you'll eat through the disks too fast.

In any case, Pete is 100% on the removal imho. Personally, I probably wouldn't even try to salvage it. If chopping parts of the bumper off make it easier to get to the welds on the frame, then that's what I'd do.

100% on the cutoff disc.

Ha! All I buy are the flat ones. I can't stand the ones with the depressed center. I use 5" x 3/64" with 7/8" hole. I use zip cut disks so often I'd be lost without them. When you live in the land of rust, you become a real craftsman with an angle grinder and a zip cut disk...lol. While everybody is off discussing the best penetrating oil and trying to figure out what socket to use on a rusted hex head, I've already cut it off and hammered it out...lol.

My tip for using zip cuts is to not put too much pressure on them. You barely need more than the weight of the angle grinder to make a cut. If you press on them too much you'll eat through the disks too fast.

In any case, Pete is 100% on the removal imho. Personally, I probably wouldn't even try to salvage it. If chopping parts of the bumper off make it easier to get to the welds on the frame, then that's what I'd do.

To each his own, I guess.

I'm usually trying to cut off flush with some other surface.

Anything that gets the arbor nut out of the way is my friend. 😉

Zip disc, Wizz wheel, whatever.

What brands are worth buying, and for what?

I like Makita's stainless steel discs.

Diablo is ok, DeWalt not so much.

Pearl is my favorite for abrasive and diamond wheels

I'm usually trying to cut off flush with some other surface.

Anything that gets the arbor nut out of the way is my friend. 😉

Zip disc, Wizz wheel, whatever.

I like Makita's stainless steel discs.

Diablo is ok, DeWalt not so much.

Pearl is my favorite for abrasive and diamond wheels

Even looks pretty easy to get to from the side with a Sawzall.

Probably just as fast ( in this case) and a lot less sparks & dust flying around.

Well, we all get used to using different things don't we?...lol. Even after 20 years of being married, my wife and I still disagree on what route to take to get somewhere...lol.

I've been using Walter disks for years on everything. Same for grinding and flap wheels. It's just what all the industrial shops stock around here I guess.

https://www.walter.com/en_CA/products/abrasives/cutting/zipcut

I need a new angle grinder. I've been using a Bosch grinder for 20 years now, and it wasn't new when I got it. The angle drive is noisy and the lock pin is just about useless. Trying to wait until Christmas to replace it.:nabble_smiley_grin:

100% on the cutoff disc.

I agree: cut the BUMPER material - don't try to get the welds; you'll just go into the frame. I've done several of these, including a full welding/work bed on an F350 dually (which required a crane to lift off), some old bumper tabs on my '76 Bronco frame, and some gargantuan receivers on a '74 Bronco recently. This & the NEXT several show the '76 frame:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/816121/thumbnail/frame19eb.jpg

This shows the '74:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1150493/thumbnail/20190606_165333.jpg

These are the wheels I prefer, and yes: they fit all my 4.5" angle grinders with their shields on:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ASDTJ0

Well, we all get used to using different things don't we?...lol. Even after 20 years of being married, my wife and I still disagree on what route to take to get somewhere...lol.

I've been using Walter disks for years on everything. Same for grinding and flap wheels. It's just what all the industrial shops stock around here I guess.

https://www.walter.com/en_CA/products/abrasives/cutting/zipcut

I need a new angle grinder. I've been using a Bosch grinder for 20 years now, and it wasn't new when I got it. The angle drive is noisy and the lock pin is just about useless. Trying to wait until Christmas to replace it.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Cory, I've never used a Walter disc.

Must be a Canadian thing?

I only have one 4 1/2" grinder with a guard on.

Can't stand the things, but sometimes necessary.

What brands are you looking at, and what features?

Paddle or top switch?

Locking or not?

Rear handle?

Right now I have two top switch Hitachi's, one Metabo (which is now Hitachi) and two paddle trigger DeWalt's.

For other grinding tasks I have 7" Makita & Bosch, and three 5" Makita paint grinders.

I try to keep them away from tilebacker, masonry and stone.

Have a dedicated throwaway HF grinder for things like cutting out mortar joints.

Can't seem to kill it