Bullnose Forums

Best tool? My lift!

Gary Lewis

When the wife & I were looking for houses & garages (for me) I was looking if I could install a lift.

1 place did have a "me" garage with lift but we did not like the house or land it was on so garage was out.

The house we did buy has a nice "me" garage but cant install any type of lift because of the height and that is ok as I have not needed one yet and I have a nice smooth floor the jack and wheel dollies roll on.

Now I was thinking if I want a lift it would be a 4 post. I could pour a concrete pad outside one of the bay doors, see where this is going? This lift would have wheels and I could push it out side to use it, when done push it back inside.

A lot of shops down here have lifts out side only down side is I have no shade where it would be in front of the bay and it gets too damn hot even to work in the garage.

Some 4 posts have extras 1 being a try to put a jack on so if you need to remove a wheel(s) you can or drip pan so you can part another car under the car on the lift.

Dave ----

Yes, 4-posters can roll. Maybe you could put up a roof on stilts to put the lift under?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, 4-posters can roll. Maybe you could put up a roof on stilts to put the lift under?

Down here they use metal top "car ports" for every thing from cars, lifts for cars, big bus type motor homes & farm equipment.

Could do that but I would not like the look it gives the main house & garage as seen from the main street. I am not be able to put it any where else and still be able to have the lift roll out onto the pad.

Good thing about that is I save the money I don't have (do we ever have the money?) and put it to my projects.

Dave ----

• 7 months later...

Ya'll....mine is a four post lift. It rolls. I'd rather have a two post. However the 4 post is great for doing alignments, where you need the weight of the car on the suspension. The drawback to the 4 post is the space, elbow room between the ramps, and having to jack the car/truck up on the lift to remove a wheel or do suspension work.

Mine is a "Backyard Buddy" brand. Very stout and I've been using it for nearly 15 years.

Ya'll....mine is a four post lift. It rolls. I'd rather have a two post. However the 4 post is great for doing alignments, where you need the weight of the car on the suspension. The drawback to the 4 post is the space, elbow room between the ramps, and having to jack the car/truck up on the lift to remove a wheel or do suspension work.

Mine is a "Backyard Buddy" brand. Very stout and I've been using it for nearly 15 years.

Yes, my lift is my best tool. I'm using it right now to get Huck high enough to go on the trailer and thence to the scrap yard. Dunno how to do that with a 4-poster though. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, my lift is my best tool. I'm using it right now to get Huck high enough to go on the trailer and thence to the scrap yard. Dunno how to do that with a 4-poster though. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Put the vehicle on the lift. Pull trailer up to the edge and roll the vehicle onto the trailer. I've done it many times. I also use it to remove Air Cooled VW engines. Lift the car right up off the engine. I have a heavy duty bench stool I use to sit the engines on.

Put the vehicle on the lift. Pull trailer up to the edge and roll the vehicle onto the trailer. I've done it many times. I also use it to remove Air Cooled VW engines. Lift the car right up off the engine. I have a heavy duty bench stool I use to sit the engines on.

Did you look at my pics of Huck loaded on the trailer? How many wheels did you count on Huck? :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for removing things, I've used the lift to remove many gas tanks, heavy trailer hitches and bumpers, etc.

Did you look at my pics of Huck loaded on the trailer? How many wheels did you count on Huck? :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for removing things, I've used the lift to remove many gas tanks, heavy trailer hitches and bumpers, etc.

HAHA. No I hadn't even heard of "Huck" yet. Yeah, may as well just push it off the lift and let it land where it lands.

HAHA. No I hadn't even heard of "Huck" yet. Yeah, may as well just push it off the lift and let it land where it lands.

Huck = Half Truck. His frame was cut under the cab so the bed could be used as a trailer. I bought him for the E4OD & associated crossmember to use as a core to go in Dad's truck. And I got a running EFI'd 460 w/late model heads, fuel tanks & fuel lines, and the best pan w/a dip stick with an o-ring.

Portions of the roof are going to Australia with Darin/Oz Econoline, and he already has the front crossmember. Jim/ArdWrknTrk got a seat belt, I used a seat belt buckle on Big Blue, the later style battery tray will go in Big Blue. The transfer case and huge front bumper were given to a friend, and other bits have gone to various homes.

So, tomorrow I'll take what's left of Huck to the "recycling center".

• 5 months later...

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 4-post Rotary. This & the NEXT dozen pics show the progress:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1140929/thumbnail/rotarytrailer09.jpg

That looks so GOOD! And after what it looked like out in the woods, that's really impressive. :nabble_smiley_good:

It looks like it was a lot of work. But everything was there? My fear of basket cases is that a critical part will be missing.

And it sure is close to the door. How high can a vehicle be and miss the door if it is open?