Bullnose Forums

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

Sounds like the cat(s) is good. Time for the leak-down test. Bad valves or a bad cam can certainly cause rough running. Been there and done both of those.

I'll hook the exhaust back up then. Looks like I'm driving it for my Thanksgiving trip... my inlaws have compressed air. Either that, or I find the $$$ for a compressor. Hmm...

Edit- I might just do a wet compression test... Poor man's leakdown?

I'll hook the exhaust back up then. Looks like I'm driving it for my Thanksgiving trip... my inlaws have compressed air. Either that, or I find the $$$ for a compressor. Hmm...

Edit- I might just do a wet compression test... Poor man's leakdown?

You could do both, a compression check before you go and a leak down when you get there.

Edit, have you checked for intake leaks? Vacuum leaks?

You could do both, a compression check before you go and a leak down when you get there.

Edit, have you checked for intake leaks? Vacuum leaks?

Yes I have. Was an issue early on, but after replacing a rotted vacuum cap, no more leaks. Verified via party fogger smoke test.

Yes I have. Was an issue early on, but after replacing a rotted vacuum cap, no more leaks. Verified via party fogger smoke test.

Will post details later.

For now, Some quick info:

-Plugs seem to tell a story. #1 (L) -> #6 ®:

DSCF1077a.jpg.973dc3fe2b440ae9bb17ac4182426091.jpg

(They're all the same motorcraft plug, odd that the black ones are rolling coal but the others aren't).

-Only had time to test cylinder #1. 130psi dry, off the chart wet... spun over to clear excess oil... 195psi on the second wet try. Seems #1 has ring issues?

Thoughts on plugs? Better plug out there than stock motorcraft copper for TFI?

EDIT- there is a difference! the blacks are BSF42C's, while the shiny ones are BSF42CA's. Which is right? does it matter?

Will post details later.

(They're all the same motorcraft plug, odd that the black ones are rolling coal but the others aren't).

-Only had time to test cylinder #1. 130psi dry, off the chart wet... spun over to clear excess oil... 195psi on the second wet try. Seems #1 has ring issues?

EDIT- there is a difference! the blacks are BSF42C's, while the shiny ones are BSF42CA's. Which is right? does it matter?

My preference is NGK V-power copper plugs.

Nothing against Motorcraft, but I will never buy another Autolite or Champion plug.

Will post details later.

Man, #1 and #2 look bad. :nabble_smiley_scared: And #2 looks wet well up the plug. Is it?

I'd be inclined to put a new set of whatever plugs it calls for in and see if that doesn't help. But then "read" them in 100 miles or so.

As for the compression test, it does seem like #1's rings are well worn. But if the compression went "off the chart" maybe you put too much oil in?

Will post details later.

Did some looking, it appears that the plugs are on paper are all compatible. They're actually SP420 and SP420A respectively, and it seems the former was superseded by the latter. Why things changed? Dunno.

May just be coincidance and cylinders #1 and #2 are just ****ed. Poor engine?

Man, #1 and #2 look bad. :nabble_smiley_scared: And #2 looks wet well up the plug. Is it?

I'd be inclined to put a new set of whatever plugs it calls for in and see if that doesn't help. But then "read" them in 100 miles or so.

As for the compression test, it does seem like #1's rings are well worn. But if the compression went "off the chart" maybe you put too much oil in?

The bodies are wet from a leaking valve cover. Dry inside.

Also a lighting issue... #1 is really that bad, #2 has a spot of black but the rest looks normal. I reshot the picture with flash enabled, I'll upload it in a bit (Still working on putting it back together, taking a moment to warm/rest my hands).

Plugs were replaced a few months ago. Has some funky platinum plugs that were worn to nothing when I bought it.

Yes I did put in too much oil, which is why I spun it open (no gauge or hose) to blow some the oil out and retested... which is where the 195PSI came from.

The bodies are wet from a leaking valve cover. Dry inside.

Also a lighting issue... #1 is really that bad, #2 has a spot of black but the rest looks normal. I reshot the picture with flash enabled, I'll upload it in a bit (Still working on putting it back together, taking a moment to warm/rest my hands).

Plugs were replaced a few months ago. Has some funky platinum plugs that were worn to nothing when I bought it.

Yes I did put in too much oil, which is why I spun it open (no gauge or hose) to blow some the oil out and retested... which is where the 195PSI came from.

If the outside of the plug was wet it may be that the spark was jumping down the plug to ground. That would certainly give you a miss, but that usually happens under load.

Anyway, perhaps new plugs would make a big difference.

If the outside of the plug was wet it may be that the spark was jumping down the plug to ground. That would certainly give you a miss, but that usually happens under load.

Anyway, perhaps new plugs would make a big difference.

Will try.

Running very rough with misfiring at idle right now. Firing order looks to be correct... who knows what I messed up. I did smell burning oil... but maybe I fouled #1's plug anyway.

I'll be in Canada this week for work, so unless I try anything else tonight, this is it until Saturday (or Friday evening?).