Bullnose Forums

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

Seems to have helped. Still squealing belts like no tomorrow... belt dressing time?

There is something wrong if the belts are squealing. But Dad used to take a round file or rasp, lay it in the pulley, and whack it with a mallet. That leaves little teeth in the pulley and stops the noise - and wears the belt.

There is something wrong if the belts are squealing. But Dad used to take a round file or rasp, lay it in the pulley, and whack it with a mallet. That leaves little teeth in the pulley and stops the noise - and wears the belt.

Once they start squealing the pulleys are glazed.

Belt dressing is a temporary band aid.

Thoroughly clean the sheaves* and rub them down with some 80 grit.

Smacking a rattail file is just going to destroy the bearings.

Is the battery low, or ready for replacement?

The alternator is kicking in for a reason.

Once they start squealing the pulleys are glazed.

Belt dressing is a temporary band aid.

Thoroughly clean the sheaves* and rub them down with some 80 grit.

Smacking a rattail file is just going to destroy the bearings.

Is the battery low, or ready for replacement?

The alternator is kicking in for a reason.

The battery is good as far as I know. It's a relatively new Valuepower battery (a couple years old, OEM being Johnson Controls like all Walmart batteries). I charged it while I was installing the engine yesterday. Fully charged when it went in.

I'll see about re-sanding the pulleys... they are a bit glazed, and idiot here spaced on fixing that while it was all apart (probably because I had fixed the issue previously, and assumed no service was needed).

This is only an issue when starting up... once I've reved it a couple times it goes away... but so was the case the last time (and on a very cold winter day I was stranded at a truck stop over it causing a dead battery; not fun!).

The battery is good as far as I know. It's a relatively new Valuepower battery (a couple years old, OEM being Johnson Controls like all Walmart batteries). I charged it while I was installing the engine yesterday. Fully charged when it went in.

I'll see about re-sanding the pulleys... they are a bit glazed, and idiot here spaced on fixing that while it was all apart (probably because I had fixed the issue previously, and assumed no service was needed).

This is only an issue when starting up... once I've reved it a couple times it goes away... but so was the case the last time (and on a very cold winter day I was stranded at a truck stop over it causing a dead battery; not fun!).

I was only asking, because I try to find the cause.

If the battery is not all sulphated and was charged, the alternator shouldn't be working hard.

Of course once the engine starts it will try to take that 12.6 up to 14.35... or whatever your regulator set point is.

Don't beat yourself up.

You're on a roll, keep it going! :nabble_smiley_good:

I was only asking, because I try to find the cause.

If the battery is not all sulphated and was charged, the alternator shouldn't be working hard.

Of course once the engine starts it will try to take that 12.6 up to 14.35... or whatever your regulator set point is.

Don't beat yourself up.

You're on a roll, keep it going! :nabble_smiley_good:

Took a look... glazed. Badly. DOH!

Shot some belt dressing on there as a test/temporary fix... briefly squeaked, then no more. Restarted several times without a slip.

While I was underneath, I saw what might be a slow leak at the water pump to lower rad hose... the one I've been fighting with (and got me swimming in coolant last night). Since there was a tiny puddle underneath, my prior theory of residual coolant leakage settling there seems unlikely. Seems like both radiator hoses are seeping/slow leaking at the engine connections... what to do? Hose clamps are as tight as I dare go.

Shot some belt dressing on there as a test/temporary fix... briefly squeaked, then no more. Restarted several times without a slip.

While I was underneath, I saw what might be a slow leak at the water pump to lower rad hose... the one I've been fighting with (and got me swimming in coolant last night). Since there was a tiny puddle underneath, my prior theory of residual coolant leakage settling there seems unlikely. Seems like both radiator hoses are seeping/slow leaking at the engine connections... what to do? Hose clamps are as tight as I dare go.

Hard to say.

I've known that hoses sometimes 'take a set' after a few heat/pressure cycles and need re-tightened.

But I've never had a real problem with hoses leaking.

Broke the glaze after another drive (this one was a lot longer). No sqeak at the moment (it did squeak today), but l won't know until I go to work tomorrow morning.

MPG wise, if my memory is correct on the mileage when I fueled it on the first trip, I'm getting 16-17MPG... much better and more what the truck should be getting. Once it breaks in (and I can resume normal driving habits), maybe it will improve?

Broke the glaze after another drive (this one was a lot longer). No sqeak at the moment (it did squeak today), but l won't know until I go to work tomorrow morning.

MPG wise, if my memory is correct on the mileage when I fueled it on the first trip, I'm getting 16-17MPG... much better and more what the truck should be getting. Once it breaks in (and I can resume normal driving habits), maybe it will improve?

Excellent! Things are coming together! :nabble_anim_claps:

Excellent! Things are coming together! :nabble_anim_claps:

Still had some startup belt noise, so I went a shade tighter on the alternator. I still get a brief chirp when it first starts (1 second or less), but no more prolonged squeaking.

Fueled again, this time only 10MPG... Not sure if my break-in driving habits or the slow-ish country roads I've been driving are to blame... or long drive-thru lines at lunch? She's drinking gas. But until I'm out of break-in and I can drive it normally, I don't want to call it.

Other than intermittent leaks at the radiator hose clamps, no issues to report. One buddy of mine suggested spring clamps to replace the existing screw clamps; but I'm not quite ready to drain the coolant yet again if I can get it to stop leaking (keep having to crank down the clamps it seems). I'm running "new" hoses, new water pump, "new" thermostat housing, and the original radiator (which I cleaned/flushed out while the engine was pulled).

Still had some startup belt noise, so I went a shade tighter on the alternator. I still get a brief chirp when it first starts (1 second or less), but no more prolonged squeaking.

Fueled again, this time only 10MPG... Not sure if my break-in driving habits or the slow-ish country roads I've been driving are to blame... or long drive-thru lines at lunch? She's drinking gas. But until I'm out of break-in and I can drive it normally, I don't want to call it.

Other than intermittent leaks at the radiator hose clamps, no issues to report. One buddy of mine suggested spring clamps to replace the existing screw clamps; but I'm not quite ready to drain the coolant yet again if I can get it to stop leaking (keep having to crank down the clamps it seems). I'm running "new" hoses, new water pump, "new" thermostat housing, and the original radiator (which I cleaned/flushed out while the engine was pulled).

That's not bad MPG for break-in and idling in drive-thru's. When you can get it out on the road I'll bet it comes up to 15 or more pretty quickly.

On the hose clamps, can you slip another clamp on and run two?