Bullnose Forums

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

Let me see what I can do on the '81 FSM. We are headed out on a grocery run tomorrow and I hope to get Angelo's throttle pedal shipped as well, so I'm not sure what I'll get done in the shop. But, I'll see what I can do.

But what you described makes sense about the lifters. Lets see if we can get a definitive answer.

On the valve cover, I think the rubber stamp idea is probably your best bet then. But I've not done it, so please show us how you do it.

I think it was Dave G who talked about using a brayer to paint their tailgate letters, Gary.

Same idea here.

From what I read, the 300 has had three different rocker setups. The original was studs with no shoulder (and had adjustable valve lash), which at some point became the shouldered studs like I have (and haven't found a definitive answer on). For the 1985 model year, they went to pedestals and bolts, which is what the '85 FSM describes.

Having the 81 version would be helpful here... I've read some places saying that you just torque the nuts, and some saying that the nuts are supposed to be locknuts and that the lash is adjusted that way. It seems like the former is the case (since hydraulic lifters are supposed to take the adjustment out anyway?)... but "seems" is a dangerous word.

---

The issue with the valve cover is that it's a shallow stamping. Raised letters in castings and molded plastic paint a lot better due to the sharp edges, such as when I red lettered the intake on my '95 ranger:

The gradual sweeping sides of the stamped logo are harder to follow are require calligraphy to match... which my paint and brush were not allowing (too thick?)... not was the paint marker before (too thin, turned out blotchy). The only other way I could try is some sort of rubber stamp transfer; sanding the paint revealed the logo well, so maybe a surface-to-surface process would work better?

It's purely for fun at this point... It's not really a show truck (not without a crapload of interior and body work at least); I just wanted to see what I could and couldn't get away with. Was hoping it would turn out like the ranger... and with some more detail corrections, maybe it could. The ranger's intake took two or three touchups and recoats to get it to work; but that was with a red paint marker on black ABS plastic; a different situation indeed.

Check out the page at Documentation/Engines/300 Six and then the Instructions tab. And, please let me know if you find the info you need.

Check out the page at Documentation/Engines/300 Six and then the Instructions tab. And, please let me know if you find the info you need.

Yes sir. Pages 7 and 8 contain the info... no adjustment other than different pushrods, which I hopefully won't need since I didn't grind valves (heck, I didn't even lap them, my machinist is supposedly the best head grinder in the area and he said I didn't need to since nothing was burned or suspect).

Edit- in the intro, it calls out oiling all non-sealed threads... noted.

Yes sir. Pages 7 and 8 contain the info... no adjustment other than different pushrods, which I hopefully won't need since I didn't grind valves (heck, I didn't even lap them, my machinist is supposedly the best head grinder in the area and he said I didn't need to since nothing was burned or suspect).

Edit- in the intro, it calls out oiling all non-sealed threads... noted.

Excellent! So you can tell your friends that you know the definitive answer on the rockers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Excellent! So you can tell your friends that you know the definitive answer on the rockers. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Bearings are coming today... and I'm off work again. My plant isn't restarting until next week at 50% capacity, and nobody else had anything to do, so I was booted midday yesterday and given today off. I will be in tomorrow and Friday to start test-running equipment (all the stuff I wasn't upgrading the past two weeks). Anyway...

In the mean time, I've been doing more cleaning and painting.

Was not able to get a brayer locally but my wife took a stab at hand painting it:

IMG_20200429_104659.thumb.jpg.fb0c3771478d0178b8eef11476996270.jpg

It's as good as it will get... I tried sponge brushes and some homeade contraptions, none worked.

Painted some more stuff too.

Timing indicator:

IMG_20200429_104751.thumb.jpg.ef1b49a3067f6598c7e6ac1773e0f2af.jpg

Not perfect, maybe I'll wet sand it a bit to take the haze off. I used a wipe-off technique here, which I've used on a crapload of bicycle parts over the years (thanks, Dad!). The marks were shallow, and the primer and topcoat made it worse, which is why it turned out out terrible... I tried?

Alternator bracket:

IMG_20200428_194450.thumb.jpg.0b726ae709535b25f4bfef2bbad3ca01.jpg

IMG_20200429_104812.thumb.jpg.5ca562f1f92a14ca5c96d9017ef3ff3d.jpg

Turned out nice. Nothing much to say here.

Coil and Air Injection valve brackets:

IMG_20200429_104533.thumb.jpg.9e046a38342b1b0799dccff3239595e2.jpg

IMG_20200429_104542.thumb.jpg.78faf89e411e4fedfc97cd54cf47e52a.jpg

Yeah my garage is a mess... and I am a geek. But that's for a different forum :nabble_anim_crazy:

I also cleaned the cosmolene off the new water pump and painted it too:

IMG_20200429_104604.thumb.jpg.623254bae153f4815626a94234800016.jpg

IMG_20200429_104623.thumb.jpg.cecf5353ea0697be44e5501b79d49bb1.jpg

The paint is still drying, so I haven't de-masked it yet.

Yay or nay on the paint?

Bearings are coming today... and I'm off work again. My plant isn't restarting until next week at 50% capacity, and nobody else had anything to do, so I was booted midday yesterday and given today off. I will be in tomorrow and Friday to start test-running equipment (all the stuff I wasn't upgrading the past two weeks). Anyway...

In the mean time, I've been doing more cleaning and painting.

Was not able to get a brayer locally but my wife took a stab at hand painting it:

It's as good as it will get... I tried sponge brushes and some homeade contraptions, none worked.

Painted some more stuff too.

Timing indicator:

Not perfect, maybe I'll wet sand it a bit to take the haze off. I used a wipe-off technique here, which I've used on a crapload of bicycle parts over the years (thanks, Dad!). The marks were shallow, and the primer and topcoat made it worse, which is why it turned out out terrible... I tried?

Alternator bracket:

Turned out nice. Nothing much to say here.

Coil and Air Injection valve brackets:

Yeah my garage is a mess... and I am a geek. But that's for a different forum :nabble_anim_crazy:

I also cleaned the cosmolene off the new water pump and painted it too:

The paint is still drying, so I haven't de-masked it yet.

Yay or nay on the paint?

I like the paint. I think you've done well. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the geek bit, I remember a friend saying to me "You may be a geek if you know what HTML stands for." I said "HyperText Markup Language". :nabble_smiley_blush:

As for the geek bit, I remember a friend saying to me "You may be a geek if you know what HTML stands for." I said "HyperText Markup Language". :nabble_smiley_blush:

Oh, thought that was Highly Touted Magical Link!

Bearings are in... clearancing at about 18 tenths. Just barely outside of "desired", but I'll take it, and am building the engine. The rods also clearanced around 18 tenths, so I think it will be OK.

Will post pics later... when I'm done with the dinner break I'm on, back to work. My goal is to have it dry-oil ready by tonight, but I dunno. Hopefully tomorrow isn't a long day at work.

---

My computer stuff is documented on this forum:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php

Unfortunately the admin/owner (a buddy of mine, the guy who builds z-cars) has the pictures locked to members only (free), but anything worth mentioning I've done pictorials of similar to what you've seen me post here.