Bullnose Forum

Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ratdude747

Yes... but I have only heard that it's bad from some sources... but not others. And more importanty, I haven't heard why it's bad from anywhere. As far as I know new engines made for new vehicles today have synthetic oil out the door... what that break in oil is, I don't know.

Edit: did some more reading (having to wait on something at work)... apparently the "issue" is that old production methods (including those use by most small engine shops like the one I used) require more break in with new processes, and synthetic oils are too good at their job to allow for such to happen in an efficient manner.

I'll probably see about getting something different... maybe some 10W-30 Rotella if they still make it (used to run it in a Chevy Astro and a Dodge Durango years ago).

At least I caught the issue before I pre-oiled... the bit I added already won't matter, Pennsoil Platinum can mix with regular with no issues.

Exactly why.

Production surface finishes and machining tolerances are MUCH better today than 35-40 years ago.

We have aluminum blocks with coated bores, and wear surfaces with vapor or plasma deposited surfaces.

Chrome moly rings don't have to plateau (shave) the bores into a bearing surface.

Engines aren't clapped out at 125k either.

The high ZDDP and detergent package of break in oils keeps internals from galling and seizing.

The detergents keep those particles in suspension so they make it to the filter.

Exactly why.

Production surface finishes and machining tolerances are MUCH better today than 35-40 years ago.

We have aluminum blocks with coated bores, and wear surfaces with vapor or plasma deposited surfaces.

Chrome moly rings don't have to plateau (shave) the bores into a bearing surface.

Engines aren't clapped out at 125k either.

The high ZDDP and detergent package of break in oils keeps internals from galling and seizing.

The detergents keep those particles in suspension so they make it to the filter.

Dinnertime updates:

-Bought some 5W30 Conventional Oil at wally world. Mixed 5 qts of it with a 1/2 qt of Lucas Break In Additive (ZDDP), and primed the system with such. Took a while, but as rockers started filling with oil, I used some clip-on rocker plugs to plug them off to force oil into the rockers not flowing yet... after some fussing (and rotating the crank), I was able to get all 12 to flow.

-rough-timed and installed the distributor.

-Installed valve cover.

-went to install the manifolds, only to find lazy butt here never got around to cleaning the gasket surfaces... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:... which is what I was in the middle of when I broke for dinner. The exhaust is particularly bad... but it's cleaning up.

Dinnertime updates:

-Bought some 5W30 Conventional Oil at wally world. Mixed 5 qts of it with a 1/2 qt of Lucas Break In Additive (ZDDP), and primed the system with such. Took a while, but as rockers started filling with oil, I used some clip-on rocker plugs to plug them off to force oil into the rockers not flowing yet... after some fussing (and rotating the crank), I was able to get all 12 to flow.

-rough-timed and installed the distributor.

-Installed valve cover.

-went to install the manifolds, only to find lazy butt here never got around to cleaning the gasket surfaces... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:... which is what I was in the middle of when I broke for dinner. The exhaust is particularly bad... but it's cleaning up.

Good progress! And, borrowing Jim's line, progress is GOOD! :nabble_anim_claps:

I ready to see the report! :nabble_anim_jump:

Taking a break for a work meeting... having engine hoist troubles. The ram seals on my hoist are toast (it was when I bought it), and I'm not getting quite enough altitude from the jack.... ugh. Shortened my chain, close but no cigar. Will try shortening one more time after the meeting... if not, I'll need to get another ram, which kills today.

Also had a leak at the back of the lifter cover... tightened the bolt to see if that helps. If not, I dunno. Are the lifter cover mating surfaces on the block supposed to be raw casting, not machined? Mine wasn't machined...

Edit- just realized I butchered the flexplate install... oiled the threads instead of loctite. I know better... will fix after this meeting.

Taking a break for a work meeting... having engine hoist troubles. The ram seals on my hoist are toast (it was when I bought it), and I'm not getting quite enough altitude from the jack.... ugh. Shortened my chain, close but no cigar. Will try shortening one more time after the meeting... if not, I'll need to get another ram, which kills today.

Also had a leak at the back of the lifter cover... tightened the bolt to see if that helps. If not, I dunno. Are the lifter cover mating surfaces on the block supposed to be raw casting, not machined? Mine wasn't machined...

Edit- just realized I butchered the flexplate install... oiled the threads instead of loctite. I know better... will fix after this meeting.

Engine is in, installed, and running... mostly. A few outstanding issues, which I'll note below. After a lift chain adjustment, I barely made it over... but that chain adjustment made dropping it a bit of pain to say the least. Eventually after a couple hours and my wife trying to drop the engine on my head twice (motor mounts caught it both times :nabble_smiley_oh_no:), I got things lined up and installed.

It wasn't all bad luck. Apparently the idle fuel mix was already bang on, and my rough timing adjustment I made during install was already right on the money; I didn't have to adjust base timing.

Outstanding issues:

• There's a water leak somewhere... Part of it was the water pump hose clamp, which after 45 minutes of fighting and getting drenched in coolant, I finally fixed (I think). I also saw water coming off the timing cover though, which might be a thermostat housing/gasket leak. Will need to look into and see if running to operating temp (when bleeding the cooling system) corrects the issue.

• The alternator belt squeaks on startup. I have a new belt set as tight as I dare, so not sure what is going on.

• The A/C belt is loose and squeaks all the time when the compressor is on. The bracket is stiff, so I think that's why I butchered the tension.

• The hood needs installed. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

• The CB still gets a lot of alternator noise despite the more direct grounding. Probably the stock noise capacitors... ?

Otherwise, she idles and revs great...

DSCF1135.jpg.fcc8076e43c2fff7cd8cd07e58b01f5b.jpg

DSCF1136.jpg.5c7deec962c3be58dd00c07c1722f465.jpg

Question: How long should I keep the break in oil? 500 miles? 1500?

Engine is in, installed, and running... mostly. A few outstanding issues, which I'll note below. After a lift chain adjustment, I barely made it over... but that chain adjustment made dropping it a bit of pain to say the least. Eventually after a couple hours and my wife trying to drop the engine on my head twice (motor mounts caught it both times :nabble_smiley_oh_no:), I got things lined up and installed.

It wasn't all bad luck. Apparently the idle fuel mix was already bang on, and my rough timing adjustment I made during install was already right on the money; I didn't have to adjust base timing.

Outstanding issues:

• There's a water leak somewhere... Part of it was the water pump hose clamp, which after 45 minutes of fighting and getting drenched in coolant, I finally fixed (I think). I also saw water coming off the timing cover though, which might be a thermostat housing/gasket leak. Will need to look into and see if running to operating temp (when bleeding the cooling system) corrects the issue.

• The alternator belt squeaks on startup. I have a new belt set as tight as I dare, so not sure what is going on.

• The A/C belt is loose and squeaks all the time when the compressor is on. The bracket is stiff, so I think that's why I butchered the tension.

• The hood needs installed. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

• The CB still gets a lot of alternator noise despite the more direct grounding. Probably the stock noise capacitors... ?

Otherwise, she idles and revs great...

Question: How long should I keep the break in oil? 500 miles? 1500?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the oil question, I'd leave it for at least 500 miles. You want to change after the main wear-in has happened on the engine so you can get the cast off metal bits out. But it won't hurt to go a little longer.

As for the wife dropping the engine on your head, is she trying to tell you something? :nabble_smiley_argh:

The noise in the CB is probably because you don't have the hood on and the antenna is "seeing" to ignition system.

On the belts, best tighten up the loose one, but let the other one wear in a bit before tightening it up any more.

But the water/coolant leak is worrying. Doubt it'll get any better so you need to find it and fix it.