Bullnose Forums

Hello from Arizona!

Kevin

Hello Enthusiasts!

My name is Kevin and I hail from Phoenix, AZ. Yes, Gary, you may add me to the members map. :nabble_smiley_cool: You can drop my pin at 32nd St and Shea Blvd.

I bought a 1985 Ford F-150 at the end of June. She has been a ranch truck (see pic below at her prior home/ranch near Salome, AZ) for a number of years and her most recent owner described her as "rough and ready". I believed the rough part.

My 'project' is to get her cleaned up and running reliably over the next year or two with the idea of leaving her at our Summer place up in Michigan. I am a complete novice, but I am hoping the effort will be some combination of what I can study/attempt/learn along with the occasional paid professional.

I look forward to the experience and community of the forum. Thanks!

-Kevin

1985-Ford-F-150_1.thumb.jpg.ae98242962d530599785952b75f5775a.jpg

Welcome. I'm a new member as well. I've spent some time reading through some of the old threads on this site and am impressed by the knowledge and also the civility of the people here.

I've only been to Michigan once. That was two summers ago for a wedding on the beach on Lake Huron near Tawas. It was quite pretty. And cool too. I can see why people would have summer places up there.

Hello Enthusiasts!

My name is Kevin and I hail from Phoenix, AZ.

Hi Kevin,

Welcome aboard! I passed through Phoenix a small handful of times on business trips back around 2005-2007. I was never there for very long, but I did take a full day to myself one time and hiked to the top of Camelback, and that was a great adventure. I've passed through Michigan a couple times, but have not stepped foot on to the UP. From what I've read, mostly in motorcycle magazines, it's quite nice up there.

So, what's the scoop on this newly acquired Bullnose?...

We need details and plans...lol.

Hello Enthusiasts!

My name is Kevin and I hail from Phoenix, AZ.

Hi Kevin,

Welcome aboard! I passed through Phoenix a small handful of times on business trips back around 2005-2007. I was never there for very long, but I did take a full day to myself one time and hiked to the top of Camelback, and that was a great adventure. I've passed through Michigan a couple times, but have not stepped foot on to the UP. From what I've read, mostly in motorcycle magazines, it's quite nice up there.

So, what's the scoop on this newly acquired Bullnose?...

We need details and plans...lol.

Welcome aboard! :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome to the forum, Kevin! :nabble_waving_orig:

So please do tell us about the truck.

Specs and any history.

How long have you been driving it?

Anything you need to fix, right off?

First, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I can tell this will be a friendly and educational place. As for AZ and MI, I grew up in Phoenix and love it, but there is little here for normal people in the Summer. Tomorrow, Sep 4, is supposed to be 110. :nabble_smiley_unhappy: Contrast that with Brimley which will be 63. Sadly, my wife is the one who gets to 'summer' up there as I only get a couple weeks and then it's back to work.

Anyway, once I hatched this plan my brother-in-law told me to find a truck that was halfway through a restoration. So that's what I tried to do. Below are the pertinent details from the ad. (At least I thought they sounded pertinent.) Some of this goes right over my head. I am sure most of the members here could deduce more in 5 minutes looking at a picture of under the hood than I could in half a day with a Haynes manual.

Engine has been fully rebuilt with new lunati cam, Edelbrock performer intake and summit carb and distributor, new fuel tank, new starter new radiator. Engine had new pistons and rings was bored to 40 over and heads where resurfaced and valves were reseated. Crank was polished and lunati cam with new lifter installed, camshaft bearing replaced. New oil pump, new rotors and pads on front. Rebuilt power steering pump, new pitman arm new tie rod ends inner and outer. Front suspension has been overhauled with new rubber bushings.

I do know she was originally an I6 and a prior owner replaced it with the 351 which the most recent owner rebuilt. It has a 4 speed manual transmission and was originally desert tan from what I can tell beneath the sloppy red/white paint job. (Actually, inside the bed, cab and under hood all remain desert tan.) Unfortunately, the certification label is missing to help me decipher other history/details.

I have been driving her around locally a bit despite the non-working A/C. There are too many things to list that may need to be fixed and/or I would like to do. Or, more likely, I may just need a little help prioritizing. I have been busy poking around and I've already made a handful of mistakes of one shape or another.

Shall I start a new post under Projects to share the challenges ahead and my (mis)adventures? Thanks, again, to all for the welcome.