Bullnose Forums

Turbine wheel fix

vicp21

NO YOU CANT!

You need to get the shank type lug nuts for the wheels as the shank part is what centers the wheel.

Right now the wrong nuts are not supporting the wheel.

To get the right size shanked nuts you need to know the thread size and how deep the wheel if from the face where the washer sits, yes you need washers also, to the back side.

If it is say 1/2" you don't want shank nuts that are 9/16" long or the wheel will not tighten down.

Also FYI threads should come out the end of the nuts half the dia. of the stud so if the stud is 1/2" it should poke out 1/4", they do not in your picture.

Local auto parts store should be able to get them or go thru Summit Racing or Jeggs.

Dave ----

NO YOU CANT!

You need to get the shank type lug nuts for the wheels as the shank part is what centers the wheel.

Right now the wrong nuts are not supporting the wheel.

To get the right size shanked nuts you need to know the thread size and how deep the wheel if from the face where the washer sits, yes you need washers also, to the back side.

If it is say 1/2" you don't want shank nuts that are 9/16" long or the wheel will not tighten down.

Also FYI threads should come out the end of the nuts half the dia. of the stud so if the stud is 1/2" it should poke out 1/4", they do not in your picture.

Local auto parts store should be able to get them or go thru Summit Racing or Jeggs.

Dave ----

Yes it needs longer studs lol I was trying it out for fitment and noticed the weird holes.

turbines_truck_2.jpg.412867f4c437981aead3263fecfd5f37.jpg

These?

turbine_lugs.jpg.942539dff0dd0c52ecebf487779a19d1.jpg

Yes it needs longer studs lol I was trying it out for fitment and noticed the weird holes.

These?

Yes them and if you use them shanked nut you don't need longer studs as the shank goes into the wheel to grab the stud as needed.

If you were to replace the studs with longer ones then you would need open ended nuts with a shank.

That's what I have to run on my drag car as the studs have to be longer when running drag slicks.

Dave ----

Someone mentioned using sleeves to get rid of the need for the shank but I didn’t see any pics of it. I wouldn’t mind having normal lug nuts if I have to put a spare on.

Never heard of such a thing and being they hold the wheels on I would get the right shank type nuts.

As for the spare, put 5 nuts in a baggie and pop it in the glove box.

Where would you keep the wheel lock key? I don't think there is enough room in the ash tray for all 5 nuts and the lock key.

You are lucky to have a spare. I have the holder but no wheel that will fit the truck.

Dave ----

Someone mentioned using sleeves to get rid of the need for the shank but I didn’t see any pics of it. I wouldn’t mind having normal lug nuts if I have to put a spare on.

Never heard of such a thing and being they hold the wheels on I would get the right shank type nuts.

As for the spare, put 5 nuts in a baggie and pop it in the glove box.

Where would you keep the wheel lock key? I don't think there is enough room in the ash tray for all 5 nuts and the lock key.

You are lucky to have a spare. I have the holder but no wheel that will fit the truck.

Dave ----

That's the thing, I would have to keep a separate set of lugs. I don't have the spare holder on either truck. I did pick up a Bronco swing carrier.