Bullnose Forums

Flywheel....should I replace, reuse, or resurface?

Ray Cecil

I am ordering the LUK flywheel. ...they made the original Ford parts?
Yes, that's my understanding, too. So that's a good price for a good part.
Last time I had a flywheel Blanchard ground it cost me $100.
This cost me ~$30, but the machinist is a friend:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1067003/thumbnail/1595clutch8.jpg

I've had it Blanchard-ground before, and I can't tell a difference in the way it drives or engages being surface-ground this way.

I am ordering the LUK flywheel. ...they made the original Ford parts?
Yes, that's my understanding, too. So that's a good price for a good part.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1067003/thumbnail/1595clutch8.jpg

I've had it Blanchard-ground before, and I can't tell a difference in the way it drives or engages being surface-ground this way.

I saw a guy on youtube who "blanchard" grinds his cylinder heads with a thick piece of glass with sandpaper duct tapped to it. Just sits the cylinder head on the glass and moves it back and forth.....its a lot of work, and not perfect, but for something that isnt out of flatness very much, it works.

I saw a guy on youtube who "blanchard" grinds his cylinder heads with a thick piece of glass with sandpaper duct tapped to it. Just sits the cylinder head on the glass and moves it back and forth.....its a lot of work, and not perfect, but for something that isnt out of flatness very much, it works.

The 'guy on YouTube' is not ANYWHERE CLOSE to Blanchard grinding anything.

And if he suggests he is, then he needs someone to explain it to him.

The 'guy on YouTube' is not ANYWHERE CLOSE to Blanchard grinding anything.

And if he suggests he is, then he needs someone to explain it to him.

Jim, I think he is just taking known good cylinder heads and redneck decking the head. Yes, its not decked right, but it is a similar approach as blanchard grinding....

Jim, I think he is just taking known good cylinder heads and redneck decking the head. Yes, its not decked right, but it is a similar approach as blanchard grinding....

Ray,

Lapping a head (or other flat surface) in with either compound or sheet abrasive and a known flat surface (like a surface plate, or an actual lapping plate) is a perfectly acceptable practice.

But it is NOT Blanchard grinding, or anything even close.

Blanchard grinding removes considerable metal in order to present a NEW and TRUE surface.

It's nothing like lapping, conventional surface grinding, scraping, milling, planing, shapering.or whatever process you choose to get to an acceptably flat surface.

Call it lapping (what it is) that's fine.

But whatever bozo goes around the interwebz claiming it's anything like what you would do to resurface a flywheel needs to stop being such an idiot.

Ray,

Lapping a head (or other flat surface) in with either compound or sheet abrasive and a known flat surface (like a surface plate, or an actual lapping plate) is a perfectly acceptable practice.

But it is NOT Blanchard grinding, or anything even close.

Blanchard grinding removes considerable metal in order to present a NEW and TRUE surface.

It's nothing like lapping, conventional surface grinding, scraping, milling, planing, shapering.or whatever process you choose to get to an acceptably flat surface.

Call it lapping (what it is) that's fine.

But whatever bozo goes around the interwebz claiming it's anything like what you would do to resurface a flywheel needs to stop being such an idiot.

Take a deep breath Jim. Its ok.

This is what I was expecting. 😞

Unfortunately, M&B Machine changed hands. Mike is gone and Darryl is dead.

Those guys who did me right for decades for a six pack, doing donuts & burnouts on Halloween Blvd are no more.

The world keeps changing.