Bullnose Forums

Flywheel....should I replace, reuse, or resurface?

Ray Cecil

Screw it. Im ordering a new flywheel. Rockauto will ship one to me for $62. Ill put it back together and not worry about it...

Probably a good idea as that one has what look to be hard spots on it where it has gotten hot from slippage. To use it I think it would need to be ground, and that might cost as much as that new one.

Probably a good idea as that one has what look to be hard spots on it where it has gotten hot from slippage. To use it I think it would need to be ground, and that might cost as much as that new one.

Yes, I have daily driven the truck with the clutch slipping, no doubt it got hot and changed the surface hardness.

The throw out bearing was toast. It was rattling when I removed it. Surprisingly, I didnt hear much bad noise coming from it.

Rear main seal is replaced as well as the pilot bearing. All I have to do is clean up, receive the new flywheel, and reassemble.

I must say it wasnt too bad getting it all apart. I think from start to end of dissassembly, maybe 3 hours. And that was with a lot of beer in me. Kinda dumb to man handle a transmission and transfer case out of a truck while slightly intoxicated. But, thats how this redneck does it in this redneckin side of the redneck woods.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, I have daily driven the truck with the clutch slipping, no doubt it got hot and changed the surface hardness.

The throw out bearing was toast. It was rattling when I removed it. Surprisingly, I didnt hear much bad noise coming from it.

Rear main seal is replaced as well as the pilot bearing. All I have to do is clean up, receive the new flywheel, and reassemble.

I must say it wasnt too bad getting it all apart. I think from start to end of dissassembly, maybe 3 hours. And that was with a lot of beer in me. Kinda dumb to man handle a transmission and transfer case out of a truck while slightly intoxicated. But, thats how this redneck does it in this redneckin side of the redneck woods.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

You’ll have a spare! Or a boat anchor!

Well, what do yall think?
I think 33-year-old Ford assembly-line parts are better than new (mostly imported) replacements. I'd get it resurfaced, if only to have as a spare if your new one gives you any trouble.

DON'T forget to seal the bolts' threads going into the crankshaft hub. That's where most leaks attributed to the RMS actually come from.

I think 33-year-old Ford assembly-line parts are better than new (mostly imported) replacements. I'd get it resurfaced, if only to have as a spare if your new one gives you any trouble.

DON'T forget to seal the bolts' threads going into the crankshaft hub. That's where most leaks attributed to the RMS actually come from.

I'll throw it in the spare parts shed. I am ordering the LUK flywheel. From what others have said, and from what I have read they made the original Ford parts?

Anyway, I will post a few pictures on the Little Blue 82 thread.

I'll throw it in the spare parts shed. I am ordering the LUK flywheel. From what others have said, and from what I have read they made the original Ford parts?

Anyway, I will post a few pictures on the Little Blue 82 thread.

Don't miss what Steve said about sealing the bolts!