Bullnose Forum

Vacuum hoses - easy to source?

I'm starting to troubleshoot a rough idle, and it seems that looking at the vacuum system is the first place to go. Assuming I find some hoses, fittings, etc. that need to be replaced, can that be easily sourced at an auto parts or hardware store, or is it specialty stuff?

Any guidance on purchasing it correctly?

Thanks,

Dave

Most of it will be readily available at any auto parts store. Vacuum hose is easy - they sell it by the foot, just bring a bit of the old stuff with you (if you have it) to get the inside diameter correct. Most of the basic fittings (tees, elbows, etc) are available as well, often in the 'Help!' section. It's all commodity stuff these days, anything that fits should be good enough.

There may be some Ford-specific bits that are hard to find - but at least on my truck so far, I haven't had that problem yet.

I reuse the elbows and connectors by finding a rubber vacuum line that fits snugly over the brittle plastic line.

Have a spool of it. (I think it's 3/16")

Then I use paint marker or adhesive shrink tube to make a color collar at each end of the line as it was, from the factory.

Green = EGR

Red= Manifold Vacuum

White= Ported Vacuum

Etc...

Yep, me too! 9mm OD x 3mm ID.

Yow! That's some thick stuff.

I wonder how they fit on the thermal valves mounted in the water neck?

While you won't have to think about it collapsing, I'd imagine tighter radiuses will be a challenge.

I already have some rubber lines looping because of how they come off the manifold tree.

Yow! That's some thick stuff.

While you won't have to think about it collapsing, I'd imagine tighter radiuses will be a challenge.

I already have some rubber lines looping because of how they come off the manifold tree.

Yes, that is thick hose/walls. And, I'm not finding it, although I'm not sure I want something that thick.

Here are the possible sizes I found with this supplier on Amazon:

Silicon_Vacuum_Hose_Sizes_-_Amazon.thumb.jpg.84a4ea322a9b0c1ec510da0f87bf08cf.jpg

That's some thick stuff.
That's how it resists collapsing under full vacuum.
Just measure the space between those nipples. If it's greater than or equal to the OD of the tubing, the tubes will fit.
I'd imagine tighter radiuses will be a challenge.
No, silicone is MUCH more-flexible than vulcanized rubber; and doesn't kink as easily.
But I'm cheap, and broke, so I'll make do with rubber.
The stuff I buy is roughly 2x the cost of vulcanized, and I think I've used maybe 20 feet total per truck, which is ~$20 for hoses (colored - black would be half that much) that will never need to be replaced. That's pretty cheap to me.

Here are some of the listings I bought, but there might be lower prices now if you shop around:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282124697393

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201339508232

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163098085865