Bullnose Forums

Vacuum Controlled Heater Core Valve

Bruno2

Yup, I have A/C. But, when it is in the 60's outside I don't see the need to run it. However, with coolant to the heater core the air temp is way too warm on Vent. As for needing warm air then, just move the lever to Heat. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think you just answered your own question, Chief!

If the air temperature is too warm on VENT because of the hot coolant in the heater core, why not turn on the A/C?

Doesn't that qualify as a need to run it? :nabble_anim_confused:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, I have A/C. But, when it is in the 60's outside I don't see the need to run it. However, with coolant to the heater core the air temp is way too warm on Vent. As for needing warm air then, just move the lever to Heat. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think you just answered your own question, Chief!

If the air temperature is too warm on VENT because of the hot coolant in the heater core, why not turn on the A/C?

Doesn't that qualify as a need to run it? :nabble_anim_confused:

Nope. I don't like to run the A/C when it isn't needed. And, when the outside temps are in the 60's it should not be needed. But, because Ford didn't spend the money to put a valve on our trucks, like they did other vehicles, then we have to turn the A/C on when it isn't needed. I'm just fixing what Ford was too cheap to do right in the first place. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Nope. I don't like to run the A/C when it isn't needed. And, when the outside temps are in the 60's it should not be needed. But, because Ford didn't spend the money to put a valve on our trucks, like they did other vehicles, then we have to turn the A/C on when it isn't needed. I'm just fixing what Ford was too cheap to do right in the first place. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Ford and every other manufacturer *wants* you to use A/C more often.

If you use it more often, the A/C system is less likely to leak and give you less problems. The old "use it or lose it" expression applies here.

That is why the A/C mode is never at the end of the climate control selections on the control panels. If you notice, it is always at the beginning - you have to go past it in order to get to heat.

Ford and every other manufacturer *wants* you to use A/C more often.

If you use it more often, the A/C system is less likely to leak and give you less problems. The old "use it or lose it" expression applies here.

That is why the A/C mode is never at the end of the climate control selections on the control panels. If you notice, it is always at the beginning - you have to go past it in order to get to heat.

Apparently there were engineers that didn't understand that. Otherwise, why would there be so many applications for valves to turn off the water to the heater core? You can go back through this thread and see the many that others have posted.

Anyway, I've already made the mod and plan to put it on Dad's truck when the time comes - and enjoy nice cool air when in Vent. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Apparently there were engineers that didn't understand that. Otherwise, why would there be so many applications for valves to turn off the water to the heater core? You can go back through this thread and see the many that others have posted.

I suppose so the MAX A/C mode will be even cooler?

If the MAX A/C isn't cool enough, there is nothing else you can do. So that valve helps, if you live in a hot area. I live in the South, which is why I put one in Lucille.

Where there ANY applications that had a valve that blocked the coolant flow when the VENT mode was selected?

Okay, I apologize that these pictures are not the very best since I was photographing inside the dash, but they should suffice to explain the differences:

1980-1982, early style vacuum switch and cable attaches by looping around a post on the lever arm and is secured by a screw in tab (red)

IMG_6280.jpg.8b1f5c09138e80f4e38dc874caa0ab23.jpg

1983 only... both the cable and controller are unique to this model year. The vacuum switch is the newer style and has the newer face cosmetics. But the lever is offset and has a post similar to the 80-82 system. The cable end loops around the post but the sheath is secured by a square plastic block that snaps into the controller body (black)

IMG_6278.jpg.36ce9bc85e2c4f7229f0da83d87949f3.jpg

1984-1986, late style vacuum switch and a completely flat lever with a small hole in it instead of the post. The cable sheath is secured by a a round (black) cable end that snaps into the controller body. The cable end engages with the lever by dog legging through the small hole. (Same picture already shared but repeated for completeness)

IMG_6270.jpg.ced65e50a56929dbbb61f916ef62eb09.jpg

I pulled one of the new style cables for Dave, and I can post up a picture if the bare cable ends, but I didn't photograph that in the junkyard. I wanted to extract a 1983 cable for photographic purposes, but I had limited time and it takes quite a while to get one of those cables out in one piece! Hopefully the en situ shots get the idea across. Basically if you have a 1983 controller you need the 1983 cable for it. The lever/cable system is unique and not compatible with other years.

Okay, I apologize that these pictures are not the very best since I was photographing inside the dash, but they should suffice to explain the differences:

1980-1982, early style vacuum switch and cable attaches by looping around a post on the lever arm and is secured by a screw in tab (red)

1983 only... both the cable and controller are unique to this model year. The vacuum switch is the newer style and has the newer face cosmetics. But the lever is offset and has a post similar to the 80-82 system. The cable end loops around the post but the sheath is secured by a square plastic block that snaps into the controller body (black)

1984-1986, late style vacuum switch and a completely flat lever with a small hole in it instead of the post. The cable sheath is secured by a a round (black) cable end that snaps into the controller body. The cable end engages with the lever by dog legging through the small hole. (Same picture already shared but repeated for completeness)

I pulled one of the new style cables for Dave, and I can post up a picture if the bare cable ends, but I didn't photograph that in the junkyard. I wanted to extract a 1983 cable for photographic purposes, but I had limited time and it takes quite a while to get one of those cables out in one piece! Hopefully the en situ shots get the idea across. Basically if you have a 1983 controller you need the 1983 cable for it. The lever/cable system is unique and not compatible with other years.

Jonathan - Those are very good pics. Thanks! So, there are indeed three different cables: 1980 - 82; 1983; & 1984 - 86. I'm going to guess that they had some problems with the 1983 cable or it wouldn't have been replaced so quickly.

Jonathan - Those are very good pics. Thanks! So, there are indeed three different cables: 1980 - 82; 1983; & 1984 - 86. I'm going to guess that they had some problems with the 1983 cable or it wouldn't have been replaced so quickly.

Three different cables and three different controllers. Note in the three pics the differences in the white plastic controller body and the three different styles of levers. Here is a pic of the 84-86 style cable ends:

IMG_6284.jpg.177733da4b21cb7f7c8a0103f63ac0e8.jpg

Three different cables and three different controllers. Note in the three pics the differences in the white plastic controller body and the three different styles of levers. Here is a pic of the 84-86 style cable ends:

Cool!

If, some day when you have nothing better to do, you were to pull one of the 1983 controllers out and get pics of it and the cable ends we'd have a complete set. But, just when you have nothing better to do, and I know that's not any time soon.

Cool!

If, some day when you have nothing better to do, you were to pull one of the 1983 controllers out and get pics of it and the cable ends we'd have a complete set. But, just when you have nothing better to do, and I know that's not any time soon.

Gary I will certainly do that. On this trip I had a strict time limit. The main purpose was to cash out the transfer case core charge and grab a late style cable for Dave. On a more leisurely trip I will document the 1983 cable :nabble_smiley_good: