Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did well, Shaun. Thanks.

I've banned him and removed his post. Plus I sent him an email explaining that he has been banned and if he thinks that is unfair he can email me with why he should be allowed to remain.

Another one. Two meaningless posts with a spam link in his signature:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Vacuum-line-fun-tp5144p106739.html

Spambots stink... used to be a real problem on another of my forums where I used to be a Mod. Between spambots and bugmenot accounts, I got to play a lot of banhammer baseball!

Another one. Two meaningless posts with a spam link in his signature:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Vacuum-line-fun-tp5144p106739.html

Spambots stink... used to be a real problem on another of my forums where I used to be a Mod. Between spambots and bugmenot accounts, I got to play a lot of banhammer baseball!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Larry. :nabble_smiley_good:

As Gary usually does, I've suspended the account and notified the other admins.

I'm going to leave it to Gary to delete those two posts.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Larry. :nabble_smiley_good:

As Gary usually does, I've suspended the account and notified the other admins.

I'm going to leave it to Gary to delete those two posts.

Yes, thanks Larry, and thanks Jim.

I'll delete the posts on Sunday as he's been given 48 hours to apologize.

Yes, thanks Larry, and thanks Jim.

I'll delete the posts on Sunday as he's been given 48 hours to apologize.

Back when I was a Mod on the other forum I'd be spammer banning daily at times... one time one of them got off 20 posts before we caught it. Thankfully the forum's mod crew is worldwide so even at odd hours one of mods in Europe/Asia would usually be around to nail them.

Side story: Funny enough the reason I was made a Mod was to clean out the forum's FAQ section which had 10 years of non-FAQ posts shoved in it (before there was a good way for vBulletin to police such junk). Once it was complete I stayed on as a super-mod... until young(er) and wild(er) ratdude's ways put him in a place where he had to step down to keep the admin's credibility intact (my move, not his)... Things had gotten pretty bad and I was a young cocky (insert favorite word here) which made things bad. Not proud of that :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:.

Back when I was a Mod on the other forum I'd be spammer banning daily at times... one time one of them got off 20 posts before we caught it. Thankfully the forum's mod crew is worldwide so even at odd hours one of mods in Europe/Asia would usually be around to nail them.

Side story: Funny enough the reason I was made a Mod was to clean out the forum's FAQ section which had 10 years of non-FAQ posts shoved in it (before there was a good way for vBulletin to police such junk). Once it was complete I stayed on as a super-mod... until young(er) and wild(er) ratdude's ways put him in a place where he had to step down to keep the admin's credibility intact (my move, not his)... Things had gotten pretty bad and I was a young cocky (insert favorite word here) which made things bad. Not proud of that :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:.

We've only recently been plagued with spammers. Not sure why, although we did recently change our joining process. But to this point, meaning on this "production" forum, the change was only to the text and not the process itself so shouldn't have made any difference.

Someone suggested it was due to us becoming larger, more visible. However, we've not grown that dramatically of late, so I don't have a clue why.

We've only recently been plagued with spammers. Not sure why, although we did recently change our joining process. But to this point, meaning on this "production" forum, the change was only to the text and not the process itself so shouldn't have made any difference.

Someone suggested it was due to us becoming larger, more visible. However, we've not grown that dramatically of late, so I don't have a clue why.

We were "found" by the web crawlers. Once you've been "found", they all know where to go. Security through obscurity isn't.

Have you thought of pinning WHYDTYTT? Make it easier to find for us lazy folks!

I'm loathe to pin yet another thing. But I like the idea of having WHYDTYTT up top. So let me do some work to try to clean things up a bit, like move the 2021 truck show folder into Events/Truck Shows. And maybe some other things.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to clean things up, please let me know.

I'm loathe to pin yet another thing. But I like the idea of having WHYDTYTT up top. So let me do some work to try to clean things up a bit, like move the 2021 truck show folder into Events/Truck Shows. And maybe some other things.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to clean things up, please let me know.

No problem as it is. Don’t mean to cause more work. I understand not wanting to pin more things.