Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, and everyone - I've moved the Freefind site search to the top of every page - as shown below. It currently isn't easy to see as it is apparently partially blocked by the menu bar and the font is very small. But, I think I could sort those issues out if we like the function.

So, please play with it. Turns out to be very useful as it only searches our website, and it finds posts in the forum as well as pages in the documentation. Plus, it has a site map and other features I might be able to turn on if we like it.

Having said that, our site is getting big enough that it may not be free to do the whole site. So, I need feedback on what you think of the function. If we like it then I can address both the aesthetics, maybe make it say "search the Garagemahal", as well as the size/cost.

Hey Gary - admittedly I haven't read through this whole thread :nabble_smiley_blush:

I may be the exception to the rule but I don't ever use the freefind search box in the top left. Not sure if there is a way to tell but if it doesn't get used much, can we remove it and the large grey "banner" beneath it?

I don't search the doc much (the menu is intuitive enough) but I like the initial UI of the magnifying glass better than the freefind one. It fits into the site better to me. The search results though are ok. A little minimalistic after being trained by google but they work.

Hey Gary - admittedly I haven't read through this whole thread :nabble_smiley_blush:

I may be the exception to the rule but I don't ever use the freefind search box in the top left. Not sure if there is a way to tell but if it doesn't get used much, can we remove it and the large grey "banner" beneath it?

I don't search the doc much (the menu is intuitive enough) but I like the initial UI of the magnifying glass better than the freefind one. It fits into the site better to me. The search results though are ok. A little minimalistic after being trained by google but they work.

Scott - I don't use the Freefind search either. But before we remove it let me ask the question "in the open".

But which "magnifying glass" are you talking about? There's one at the very top right, and there's the one below the words "Search Forum". I use the latter frequently and it works well.

Scott - I don't use the Freefind search either. But before we remove it let me ask the question "in the open".

But which "magnifying glass" are you talking about? There's one at the very top right, and there's the one below the words "Search Forum". I use the latter frequently and it works well.

Good plan.

Yes, the one for the forum I use a lot also.

I am referring to the one at the top right. I don't know that I've really used it much beyond playing around today but between it and freefind, I'd vote for it (top right). There needs to be some doc search and that one fits better with the clean integration into the dropdown menu area.

Good plan.

Yes, the one for the forum I use a lot also.

I am referring to the one at the top right. I don't know that I've really used it much beyond playing around today but between it and freefind, I'd vote for it (top right). There needs to be some doc search and that one fits better with the clean integration into the dropdown menu area.

Ok, I created the new thread inc a poll: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Search-Tools-td79389.html

But the magnifying glass in the upper right searches the website, and not the forum. I know that's confusing, but the forum is on Nabble and that one doesn't search it. Only the website.

And the Nabble search function only searches the forum, and not the website.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

Ok, I created the new thread inc a poll: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Search-Tools-td79389.html

But the magnifying glass in the upper right searches the website, and not the forum. I know that's confusing, but the forum is on Nabble and that one doesn't search it. Only the website.

And the Nabble search function only searches the forum, and not the website.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

I gotcha. We're on the same page - the forum is embedded withing the main site. I think having the two searches, each dedicated to their own portion of the overall site is pretty clear - at least after a couple searches 🤪. Thinking about it as I type, I guess having the 'search tip' that shows up with the search box contain the word 'documentation' wouldn't be a bad thing.

So where it now says:

Search by typing & pressing enter

Have it say something akin to:

Perform a documentation search by typing and pressing enter

🤔

Oh, and thanks for the poll thread!

I gotcha. We're on the same page - the forum is embedded withing the main site. I think having the two searches, each dedicated to their own portion of the overall site is pretty clear - at least after a couple searches 🤪. Thinking about it as I type, I guess having the 'search tip' that shows up with the search box contain the word 'documentation' wouldn't be a bad thing.

So where it now says:

Search by typing & pressing enter

Have it say something akin to:

Perform a documentation search by typing and pressing enter

🤔

Oh, and thanks for the poll thread!

Yes, but....

If you look at the first layer of the menu there are two categories: Bullnose Forum is on Nabble, and all else is on the Weebly website. For instance, when I searched for Dad's Truck using the upper right search function it found pages in Documentation, Truck Shows, About, etc. Just not the thousands of times those words are used in the forum.

So the search tips need to explain that. Right?

Yes, but....

If you look at the first layer of the menu there are two categories: Bullnose Forum is on Nabble, and all else is on the Weebly website. For instance, when I searched for Dad's Truck using the upper right search function it found pages in Documentation, Truck Shows, About, etc. Just not the thousands of times those words are used in the forum.

So the search tips need to explain that. Right?

Hmm good point. What about something like:

Use this search for all areas except the forum

• 4 months later...