Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without email notifications similar to FTE? I've been spending more time on the truck which has increased time browsing here - I'd like to be able to file certain threads for future reference when I have a 'know I've seen that somewhere' day as I progress through the project.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to subscribe to a thread without email notifications similar to FTE? I've been spending more time on the truck which has increased time browsing here - I'd like to be able to file certain threads for future reference when I have a 'know I've seen that somewhere' day as I progress through the project.

Bryan - I'm not sure what you mean by "subscribe to a thread without email notifications". If you "subscribe" you will get email notifications, but you can decide if you want to subscribe to an individual thread or the folder it is in, like Projects, or to the whole forum. And, you can decide if you want an email for each new post or a daily rollup showing all new posts.

However, you may be talking about a link to a thread or a post. And that's called a "permalink". If you want a link you can store away to a specific post click More on the far right of that post's header, then Permalink, and then copy the link that appears. You can paste that link somewhere and then click on the link later to come back directly to that post.

Or, you can get a link to the whole thread by going to the very top of the thread and click the Permalink there.

Does that help?

Bryan - I'm not sure what you mean by "subscribe to a thread without email notifications". If you "subscribe" you will get email notifications, but you can decide if you want to subscribe to an individual thread or the folder it is in, like Projects, or to the whole forum. And, you can decide if you want an email for each new post or a daily rollup showing all new posts.

However, you may be talking about a link to a thread or a post. And that's called a "permalink". If you want a link you can store away to a specific post click More on the far right of that post's header, then Permalink, and then copy the link that appears. You can paste that link somewhere and then click on the link later to come back directly to that post.

Or, you can get a link to the whole thread by going to the very top of the thread and click the Permalink there.

Does that help?

I think he's looking for a way to save a topic to review later, without the distraction of constant notifications.

I think he's looking for a way to save a topic to review later, without the distraction of constant notifications.

Then I think he wants the permalink.

Here's a test:

Let's see how they work.....

The answer is that the first two get you to the same spot, but the URL's are different. Ditto the last two.

The answer is that the first two get you to the same spot, but the URL's are different. Ditto the last two.

Right.

But there is no notepad here in ones profile to store these bookmarks.

I do believe the hope was a way to easily bookmark a thread, or set a reminder for later. (within the forum)

You could always bookmark the thread page in your browser, without subscribing.

Does that help?

Your combined responses got me my answer.

I was hoping the forum host offered something simple like what FTE had where they gave you a choice to subscribe to a thread without email notifications. Under the user profile, I could find all threads I’ve subscribed to (with or without email notifications) for quick reference. I had that pretty clean and only included threads with pertinent info I’d like to fall back on in the future, not every thread I ever responded to.

I can use the permalink address saved to a notepad or Word doc to bring me to a response within a thread of interest though, no worries!

Your combined responses got me my answer.

I was hoping the forum host offered something simple like what FTE had where they gave you a choice to subscribe to a thread without email notifications. Under the user profile, I could find all threads I’ve subscribed to (with or without email notifications) for quick reference. I had that pretty clean and only included threads with pertinent info I’d like to fall back on in the future, not every thread I ever responded to.

I can use the permalink address saved to a notepad or Word doc to bring me to a response within a thread of interest though, no worries!

Ok, Bryan, looks like you are ok with the solution. Great!

Jim - I've not tried bookmarking a page via the browser. Think I'll play with that.

Jim - I've not tried bookmarking a page via the browser. Think I'll play with that.

Since nabble does some interesting url handling, this is the what I've had to do also for "future reference" links.

Note that in Chrome at least you can click on the More... button when adding a bookmark via the Star icon and paste in the permalink:

bookmark_1.png.000c8a4119b8b35c6cbe85e09bd936e7.png

Since nabble does some interesting url handling, this is the what I've had to do also for "future reference" links.

Note that in Chrome at least you can click on the More... button when adding a bookmark via the Star icon and paste in the permalink:

Scott - I did NOT know that. Cool! Thanks!