Bullnose Forums

Website & Forum Suggestion Box

Actually, the top of the page has a link to Bullnose Enthusiasts and to New Members.... But the bottom of the page only has the link to New Members. So, if we got the bottom to have both links wouldn't that do it?

This harkens back to your build thread.

You add complexity in order to make it more durable, or foolproof.

Fools will break a bowling ball if given a chance.

More points of failure will ensure that failure.

K.I.S.S.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe? IDK

I'm not the noob user who has problems.

Why don't you ask them???

What you have now might make sense to you.

But it is a pita on mobile and unapparent/un-intuitive to new members.

You have/make good points. I grant that there's an issue/problem here. And I do want to sort it. But I think there are a lot of things in play at the same time that I'm not able to tease apart, so it looks really complex.

On the one hand there's a seemingly simple problem where in a thread in a sub-forum, meaning the folders on the main page, there is a menu at the top of the page that includes a link to both the Bullnose Forum as well as a link back to that folder. For instance in the New Members Start Here folder each thread has this link at the top of the page: Bullnose Enthusiasts › New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself. But at the bottom of the page there's just the link to get back to the sub-forum, meaning New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself.

That's a simple problem and is, I think, where you started. And if that were to be solved it might get people out of the New Members Start Here folder. Right?

But you are alluding to other problems. And while I don't doubt that there are other problems, I don't know what they are.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have my buddy from the Nabble Support forum, the guy from the UK that solved the smiley problem, telling me that the whole forum and website are fraught with problems. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Given the family plans that are on the horizon, I'm not going to get to the bottom of things with my Nabble buddy any time soon, and he holds the keys to sorting out things like the difference in links at the top and bottom of pages. So can you, Jim, try to put together a list of issues from people on here while I work with Greg/Nabble in the background?

If you want to start a new thread asking for their input please do so and explain that I've asked you to do it.

You have/make good points. I grant that there's an issue/problem here. And I do want to sort it. But I think there are a lot of things in play at the same time that I'm not able to tease apart, so it looks really complex.

On the one hand there's a seemingly simple problem where in a thread in a sub-forum, meaning the folders on the main page, there is a menu at the top of the page that includes a link to both the Bullnose Forum as well as a link back to that folder. For instance in the New Members Start Here folder each thread has this link at the top of the page: Bullnose Enthusiasts › New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself. But at the bottom of the page there's just the link to get back to the sub-forum, meaning New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself.

That's a simple problem and is, I think, where you started. And if that were to be solved it might get people out of the New Members Start Here folder. Right?

But you are alluding to other problems. And while I don't doubt that there are other problems, I don't know what they are.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have my buddy from the Nabble Support forum, the guy from the UK that solved the smiley problem, telling me that the whole forum and website are fraught with problems. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Given the family plans that are on the horizon, I'm not going to get to the bottom of things with my Nabble buddy any time soon, and he holds the keys to sorting out things like the difference in links at the top and bottom of pages. So can you, Jim, try to put together a list of issues from people on here while I work with Greg/Nabble in the background?

If you want to start a new thread asking for their input please do so and explain that I've asked you to do it.

Correct.

Okay.

Are you asking for a list -in and from- new users specifically?

Because we already have this thread, which seems to have some of the best, and most attentive support on the web. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I guess I didn't quite grasp the depth of the problem I see, which is the feedback loop baked into each sub-forum.

Apologize for not slicing & dicing my reply, as Steve would.

That's really difficult (for me) on a phone.

But I'm sure you get the gist.

Can the posts be numbered?

So it's easier to refer to post#123 instead of trying to quote it or describe the contents of a post. **that may be pages away?

I'm going to bring this up again.

Not because I don't think it registered with you, but because I didn't see any response.

Can the posts be numbered?

So it's easier to refer to post#123 instead of trying to quote it or describe the contents of a post. **that may be pages away?

I'm going to bring this up again.

Not because I don't think it registered with you, but because I didn't see any response.

I've asked the folks over at Nabble if we could get numbering of the the posts. But to this point only my friend Greg has responded, and he doesn't work for Nabble. His response was that it probably isn't going to be high on Nabble's radar since they are supposedly developing a new "forum". But in the absence of that we could use the date and time the comment was posted.

So I was waiting on a true Nabble response. But apparently that isn't going to happen. So can we live with the date/time stamp approach?

On the link back issue, Greg has tested a "fix" on his forum and it appears to show the whole path back on the bottom as it does on the top of the page. I can try to implement that here as well and see if that helps.

But then we will have the world's longest breadcrumb: New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself. Instead the folder's name should be something like New Members, or possibly New Members Start Here, and put the & Post A Blurb About Yourself explained in the info about the folder. And that's only one of the many helpful suggestions Greg has come back with after studying our forum.

As for how and where to collect the info, I don't know. However, we aren't getting much help in this thread. People seem to only respond to new threads. Perhaps that's due to the way this forum works where you have to be subscribed to a thread, or the whole forum, to get an alert by email that a new response has been posted.

But I'll leave that to you as I'm running out of time very quickly.....

I've asked the folks over at Nabble if we could get numbering of the the posts. But to this point only my friend Greg has responded, and he doesn't work for Nabble. His response was that it probably isn't going to be high on Nabble's radar since they are supposedly developing a new "forum". But in the absence of that we could use the date and time the comment was posted.

So I was waiting on a true Nabble response. But apparently that isn't going to happen. So can we live with the date/time stamp approach?

On the link back issue, Greg has tested a "fix" on his forum and it appears to show the whole path back on the bottom as it does on the top of the page. I can try to implement that here as well and see if that helps.

But then we will have the world's longest breadcrumb: New Members Start Here - Read The Guidelines & Post A Blurb About Yourself. Instead the folder's name should be something like New Members, or possibly New Members Start Here, and put the & Post A Blurb About Yourself explained in the info about the folder. And that's only one of the many helpful suggestions Greg has come back with after studying our forum.

As for how and where to collect the info, I don't know. However, we aren't getting much help in this thread. People seem to only respond to new threads. Perhaps that's due to the way this forum works where you have to be subscribed to a thread, or the whole forum, to get an alert by email that a new response has been posted.

Jim - I've now shortened the title of the folder to New Members Start Here. And, I've implemented the change Greg suggested, which now puts the same set of links at the bottom of the page as well as the top. See if that helps, please.

Gary,

I'm going to creat a post in the new members section, and ask for feedback.

You could put verbiage asking for location or pointing to the members map in the description instead of always asking in your personalized greeting.

If it were down here I can see it sliding off the first page quickly. (That's why this one is pinned, right?)

Let's see what happens.

If it starts to slip, I can always TTT.

And, I will try to use the timestamp, the same way I HAD to use the FTE date to identify the long ago thread you created for Dads Air Cleaner.

Gary,

I'm going to creat a post in the new members section, and ask for feedback.

You could put verbiage asking for location or pointing to the members map in the description instead of always asking in your personalized greeting.

If it were down here I can see it sliding off the first page quickly. (That's why this one is pinned, right?)

Let's see what happens.

If it starts to slip, I can always TTT.

And, I will try to use the timestamp, the same way I HAD to use the FTE date to identify the long ago thread you created for Dads Air Cleaner.

Done?

Anything I should change?