Bullnose Forums

Wondering about exhaust systems

Howdy All,

Been sitting here perusing through posts and strings, enjoying the banter and comeraderie. I've been wondering about the exhaust on my 87 4x4 as it is rotten and has several leaks and missing hangers. I've been looking for tips, pros and cons about going to a dual exhaust set up but just havent found much. I realize it can be a challenge with dual fuel tanks like mine and I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle or not. I'd like to go with a dual set up, headers and a somewhat quiet set of mufflers. Nothing loud mind you, as I plan to do some hunting with this truck. So, any recommendations or suggestions out there?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running a set of BBK shorty headers, 2 1/4" full dual exhaust, and Magnaflow mufflers. I'm quite pleased with the sound of the truck. It has a bit of a rumble but not too loud.

I'll probably run shorties on Dad's truck, but Scotty, the Mad Porter, has convinced me that long-tubes are the way to go for Big Blue. And with my experience with L&L's on it heretofore, I'll probably go back to L&L's. However, since the EFI 460 heads take different intakes and exhausts then the carb heads, they'll have to be new ones.

I'll probably run shorties on Dad's truck, but Scotty, the Mad Porter, has convinced me that long-tubes are the way to go for Big Blue. And with my experience with L&L's on it heretofore, I'll probably go back to L&L's. However, since the EFI 460 heads take different intakes and exhausts then the carb heads, they'll have to be new ones.

I really like the L&L headers. I was going to go with them but ended up with the Hedmans because the L&L ceramic coating was unavailable. I am very impressed with all of their items I've purchased.

I really like the L&L headers. I was going to go with them but ended up with the Hedmans because the L&L ceramic coating was unavailable. I am very impressed with all of their items I've purchased.

Looks like I've got some more homework to do. I didn't realize there were so many out there. And it looks like my wallet is going to take a beating,,,,,,lol

Thank you for all the information guys, I really appreciate it.

...looking for tips, pros and cons about going to a dual exhaust...
I've never found any pro to be backed-up by measurable improvement. Only by butt-dyno data, and sloshing beer. Among the few trucks I've bought with duals, and the MANY I've found in JYs with duals, I've never encountered even ONE that ran better with duals than all the ones with stock or direct-replacement exhaust. They invariably run WORSE, louder, hotter, with more leaks & other problems.
...I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle or not.
Not IME. Not financially (in MPG, hp, maintenance costs...) or in driving pleasure (noise, heat, leaks, or any noticeable improvement in performance).
Nothing loud mind you, as I plan to do some hunting with this truck.
Stick with stock.

An exhaust system ISN'T just a hose to carry the smoke out the back; it's actually much more-complex. It's like a musical instrument - not just for reducing the LOUD noise of exhaust coming out of the heads (try running the engine for a few seconds without the manifolds); but also for removing (scavenging) more of the exhaust gases from the combustion chambers than nothing or a short pipe would.

Imagine each pulse of pressure from an exhaust valve opening & the piston coming up on the exhaust stroke as a tennis ball sliding through the exhaust pipes. With no pipes, they'd bounce around the engine bay. With random-shaped pipes, some of them would hit others, making it harder to get out of the cylinder and tailpipe.

But if the pipes are carefully designed & built, they'll line up (tuned exhaust) and flow out the tailpipe smoothly (and quietly) in a steady stream. That not only allows, but also PULLS more exhaust out of the combustion chambers (as the echo of one pulse passes the exhaust port of the next cylinder) than no exhaust pipe.

And that's how Ford (and most others) design the exhaust; not only the bends & routing, but also the size (I.D.) of the pipes. So bigger pipes are not better; straighter pipes are not better; and more (dual) pipes are not better, unless they're VERY carefully engineered to work better.

And no one is doing that engineering on a 35-year-old pickup.

Looks like I've got some more homework to do. I didn't realize there were so many out there. And it looks like my wallet is going to take a beating,,,,,,lol

Thank you for all the information guys, I really appreciate it.

They get way up there in price for sure. If not in a hurry check eBay periodically. That's how I found my Hedmans - someone else's project that never happened.

Unless my exhaust guys tell me otherwise, I am leaning towards a single exhaust setup.

They get way up there in price for sure. If not in a hurry check eBay periodically. That's how I found my Hedmans - someone else's project that never happened.

Unless my exhaust guys tell me otherwise, I am leaning towards a single exhaust setup.

Thanks Guys, more homework indeed. Pros and cons are what I'm looking for, your experience is good information indeed.